Traveling with a minor

Hello! I am cruising in a few weeks with my daughter and her friend who is 15. She has a passport. I am trying to find the forms I need to fill out and have notarized with her parents. Anyone have a link? I couldn't find anything with my search. Any other helpful information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, bslowry said:

Hello! I am cruising in a few weeks with my daughter and her friend who is 15. She has a passport. I am trying to find the forms I need to fill out and have notarized with her parents. Anyone have a link? I couldn't find anything with my search. Any other helpful information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-family-legal-documents-do-i-need-to-board

I did this last year.  Took our four kids and each brought a friend.  I made a form, loosely based on the forms I found online.

Here's what I put together:

Date

I, ___________________________ authorize my minor child _________________________________  to travel the following itinerary with  (my name) and (my wife's name) serving as accompanying adults.

(Then I listed the detailed day by day itinerary, including flights, pre-cruise hotel stay and cruise itinerary)

I authorize (my name) and (my wife's name) to supervise my minor child and act as guardian in all capacities for the duration of this trip.  This authorization includes, but is not limited to the following:

-Provide consent for participation.

- Provide authorization for making any charges to a ship-board account.

-Sign waivers as necessary for any and all on-board activities including rock  climbing, flow rider, water sports, skating, and any other activity requiring consent by a guardian.

-Sign waivers as necessary for any and all activities while on land both domestically, and at any of the ports of call.

I further authorize (my name) and (my wife's name) to consent to any and all necessary routine or emergency medical treatment for the duration of the itinerary outlines above.

Signed ____________________________________________________  (parent)

Signed_____________________________________________________  (my name)

Signed ____________________________________________________ (my wife's name)

On this _____  Day of _________, 2018 before me the undersigned Notary Public, personally appeared _____________________________, provided to me thorough and satisfactory evidence of identification, to be the person whose name is signed on the preceding document, and acknowledged to me that (he) )(she) signed it voluntarily for it's stated purpose in my presence.

---------------------------------------------------------  (notary signature)

(notary stamp)

I then had photocopies of the kids insurance cards and the parents licenses or passports, matching the names on the form.  Since there were four of them, I kept all the paperwork together and had it handy.

Ironically, at check in, there were twelve of us (myself, wife, her parents, four kids, four friends).  The woman processing it looked at the passports and pulled up the reservation, but never even asked for the consent documentation.

The only time I needed it the whole cruise was one consent we failed to do online in advance (zipline maybe?), and when I needed to get an additional key to one of the rooms, since the names were different.  Both times, the person looking at it (sports desk and guest services) said it was great.  Guest services manager actually asked to make a copy to share.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I did this last year.  Took our four kids and each brought a friend.  I made a form, loosely based on the forms I found online.

Date

I, ___________________________ authorize my minor child _________________________________  to travel the following itinerary with  (my name) and (my wife's name) serving as accompanying adults.

(Then I listed the detailed day by day itinerary, including flights, pre-cruise hotel stay and cruise itinerary)

I authorize (my name) and (my wife's name) to supervise my minor child and act as guardian in all capacities for the duration of this trip.  This authorization includes, but is not limited to the following:

-Sign waivers as necessary for any and all on-board activities including rock  climbing, flow rider, water sports, skating, and any other activity requiring consent by a guardian.

-Sign waivers as necessary for any and all activities while on land both domestically, and at any of the ports of call.

I further authorize (my name) and (my wife's name) to consent to any and all necessary routine or emergency medical treatment for the duration of the itinerary outlines above.

On this _____  Day of _________, 2018 before me the undersigned Notary Public, personally appeared _____________________________, provided to me thorough and satisfactory evidence of identification, to be the person whose name is signed on the preceding document, and acknowledged to me that (he) )(she) signed it voluntarily for it's stated purpose in my presence.

(notary stamp)

I then had photocopies of the kids insurance cards and the parents licenses or passports, matching the names on the form.  Since there were four of them, I kept all the paperwork together and had it handy.

Ironically, at check in, there were twelve of us (myself, wife, her parents, four kids, four friends).  The woman processing it looked at the passports and pulled up the reservation, but never even asked for the consent documentation.

The only time I needed it the whole cruise was one consent we failed to do online in advance (zipline maybe?), and when I needed to get an additional key to one of the rooms, since the names were different.  Both times, the person looking at it (sports desk and guest services) said it was great.  Guest services manager actually asked to make a copy to share.

Can a form like this have 2 Notary stamps?

Like many people, mom and dad are no longer together and live separately. Can Mom sign and get stamp, mail it to dad, he signs and gets stamp.

13 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Like many people, mom and dad are no longer together and live separately. Can Mom sign and get stamp, mail it to dad, he signs and gets stamp.

Interesting you ask!  One of the kid's parent were divorced.  Mom came and brought all the info and did hers (I have a friend who is a notary, so I just had all the parents come one night and she came and we got it all done).  I gave her another copy and she gave it to her ex and he signed and had it notarized.

27 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Yes, I have seen forms like that.  There is a signature block for each person and a notary block for each signature block.

4 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Date

I do a similar letter for my child's father to sign (we are divorced.). But when I reference the flight and cruise itinerary, I add something about allowing for reasonable changes in either due to weather, mechanical or other reasons.  Probably overdoing it, but just in case I'd rather have all bases covered.  I've never yet been asked to show the letter, but I always have it.

4 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I do a similar letter for my child's father to sign (we are divorced.). But when I reference the flight and cruise itinerary, I add something about allowing for reasonable changes in either due to weather, mechanical or other reasons.  Probably overdoing it, but just in case I'd rather have all bases covered.  I've never yet been asked to show the letter, but I always have it.

When I listed the itinerary in detail, I also stated that it would also apply to any changes in the travel plans during that time frame.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 7:27 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

Date

(notary stamp)

Thanks for sharing. We will be in a similar situation and I had not started working on the solution yet.

Along with the above type of forms, including medical information and permission to treat, it’s also a good idea to know some basic medical information. Hopefully you never need to know, but in an emergency it’s good to know if the friend/grandchild etc. has any allergies, takes any medication, and has up to date shots. 

1 hour ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Along with the above type of forms, including medical information and permission to treat, it’s also a good idea to know some basic medical information. Hopefully you never need to know, but in an emergency it’s good to know if the friend/grandchild etc. has any allergies, takes any medication, and has up to date shots. 

I think that's kind of a foregone conclusion if someone is entrusting another individual to the care of his or her minor child.  But I don't see any reason for it to be included on the form presented to the cruise line or authorities.  In fact, as a physician, I really encourage people to never offer up that information unnecessarily, as it can often lead to misinterpretation or overreaction.

2 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I think that's kind of a foregone conclusion if someone is entrusting another individual to the care of his or her minor child.  But I don't see any reason for it to be included on the form presented to the cruise line or authorities.  In fact, as a physician, I really encourage people to never offer up that information unnecessarily, as it can often lead to misinterpretation or overreaction.

I was not suggesting that it be included with the form. I was suggesting that such information be discussed and/or shared with the person who is responsible for the minor prior to the cruise.  

Many schools or private sports groups now require this information be filled in on registration forms shared with coaches.  I am not talking sensitive medical information (well aware of HIPPA), but knowing someone is allergic to Penicillin (just an example); carries an Epipen for insect bites; etc. is worth knowing, especially if you are going to be responsible for someone else’s child for an extended period of time. 

3 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

I was not suggesting that it be included with the form. I was suggesting that such information be discussed and/or shared with the person who is responsible for the minor prior to the cruise.  

Many schools or private sports groups now require this information be filled in on registration forms shared with coaches.  I am not talking sensitive medical information (well aware of HIPPA), but knowing someone is allergic to Penicillin (just an example); carries an Epipen for insect bites; etc. is worth knowing, especially if you are going to be responsible for someone else’s child for an extended period of time. 

All of that is true, but it has nothing to do with the proper documentation to take a minor child on a cruise or to act as his or her guardian.  Now you're just basically giving general parenting advice....

It's really going to blow your mind when you go through all of that process to get the proper forms then they never ask for them once when they check you in or anywhere on the boat.

Not to say you shouldn't get them because you never know when you'll be the lucky random check.