Insurance for Trip after Cruise

charlielinda

I’m curious what insurance companies you have used for travel insurance when on a land vacation.  We are touring Ireland for 14 days after a cruise.  World Nomands was suggested but I’d love to hear from you!   Do you recommend anyone or want to steer me away from someone.  Thanks for all your help.  

For non cruise travel, we have ($50k) worldwide medical insurance coverage, if on medicare it's usually through a medigap policy or perhaps your medicare assist policy....and....MedJet assist, an annual policy, that assures we will get home if one of us is hospitalized abroad.  MedJet will transport from foreign hospital to the US hospital/facility of our choice with medical staff on-board if necessary.  There are some other important differences between MedJet and most other policies covered in the travel insurance section and on MedJet's web site.

I'm sure there are more inclusive policies....but we self insure everything else. 

If you are on a cruise and have cruise insurance, just include the 14 days after your cruise in the insurance....that insurance isn't limited to just the time you are on the ship.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

Go to the website www.insuremytrip.com and do some comparisons.  Add up the total cost of your trip of all NON reimbursable costs.  Then I play with the price point - for example I start with $3100.  Then I put $2999.  Sometimes by going up or down $50/$100 the cost of the insurance can really differ.  I make sure the policy has a medical evacuation of at least $500K.  

We never purchase insurance though the cruise lines. 

There are some excellent webstites that will enable you to compare poilicies and purchase only the insurance you truly need.  For instance, do you need medical coverage, evacuation, cancellation ...?

I can highly recommend insuremytrip.com  or squaremouth.com

We no longer purchase insurance for individual trips - we have good medical coverage through our personal insurance, and trip delay, cancellation, local evacuation, etc., through the Chase Sapphire Reserve. For medical evacuation back to the US (the most crucial to us) - we have an annual policy through MedJet Assist. 

I want to add that almost every standard medical evacuation policy only gets you to the nearest qualified medical facility - whether that be Timbuktu or Tasmania. You cannot expect to be transported home should you require ongoing treatment, nor will you have any say as to where you are taken.

Edited by sippican

5 hours ago, charlielinda said:

I’m curious what insurance companies you have used for travel insurance when on a land vacation.  We are touring Ireland for 14 days after a cruise.  World Nomands was suggested but I’d love to hear from you!   Do you recommend anyone or want to steer me away from someone.  Thanks for all your help.  

I have had questions in the past about travel insurance and Steve Dasseos, who is the Travel Insurance Guru, has always answered my questions with good advice and options.  You might compare policies on his website tripinsurancestore.com.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:12 PM, seacrystal said:

I have had questions in the past about travel insurance and Steve Dasseos, who is the Travel Insurance Guru, has always answered my questions with good advice and options.  You might compare policies on his website tripinsurancestore.com.

I strongly second the advice to contact Steve at the Trip Insurance Store.

Their number is 1 (888) 407-3854

steve@tripinsurancestore.com

http://tripinsurancestore.com/

We get the insurance through our TA. We can tack on coverage for travel before and after the cruise on the same policy at a pretty low additional cost. As they charge based on cost of the trip, the cruise portion is usually the major part of the coverage. This covers, in addition to medical, lost luggage, etc., the cost of any and all portions of the trip that are cancelled under the policy terms.

Never leave home without it. We purchase trip insurance within the 10-21 day window of deposit, due to pre existing conditions. As it is purchased so early and paid, just consider it part of the land/cruise trip.   It is the only cost that ends up being  non- refundable should we have to cancel our trip and worth the piece of mind that we are fully covered while traveling. We usually use www.insuremytrip.

Edited by Missymo

We use several comparative sites but do not book any coverage through a cruise line or ta. We want to see (read) the coverage offered. We also have a separate air evacuation policy.

Rather than book two policies - one for cruise and one for land, find one policy that covers all travel if you are still within the insurance booking window.