Live From The Ruby Princess CA Coastal March 10-17, 2019

Woobstr112G

An early good morning from Palmdale Ca.  DW & I will be leaving tomorrow for a two night stay at the Doubletree in San Pedro before boarding the Ruby Ptincess on Sunday for our week long California Coastal Cruise.  I decided to start this live from a little early so I could report on our stay in San Pedro and to start compiling a list of questions fellow CC’ers might have.  This will be our third time staying at the HDT for a pre cruise stay.  I would highly recommend the HDT; it is a fantastic hotel. 

As far as the Ruby goes, we will be in an aft (Wake View) Suite.  Aft wake view accommodations are my favorite type of cabin and I always try to snag one when booking a cruise.  While onboard, I am looking forward to trying Share and Gastro Pub.  I am really hoping that the expanded beer menu has been rolled out on the Ruby.  I’m also looking forward to trying out the improved internet service.

We’ve been looking forward to this cruise since we booked early last summer.  We will also be sailing with DW’s sister and her DH.  

Today I’ll be finalizing my packing.  I  won’t ask DW about her packing as I learned long ago to not get involved:classic_biggrin:.  We will both overpack for this cruise but at least we don’t have to fly.  Tomorrow morning I will be taking our beloved Misha to his vacation spot.  After that, we’ll head to my sister’s house who will give us a ride to the hotel. 

Fire away with any questions you may have.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Bon Voyage Bob!!

Thanks Keith.....

44 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Enjoy your cruise and I hope the weather is perfect 😊

Thank you.  We are hoping to have better weather than we’ve had the last couple of days.....

Bob

21 minutes ago, jg21 said:

I would love to hear about the new selections of beers.  Have fun!

Jim

I’ve been waiting for a long time for Princess to improve on their selection of beers.  I’ll let you know when I get onboard.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

23 minutes ago, jg21 said:

I would love to hear about the new selections of beers.  Have fun!

Jim

I’ve been waiting for a long time for Princess to improve on their selection of beers.  I’ll let you know when I get onboard.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

2 minutes ago, Crown Cruiser said:

Bob, 

I wish you and your wife a wonderful trip.  I hope Jose is the head waiter in Club Class.  You'll know him right away by the flashing pin he wears - you can't miss it! :classic_biggrin:

Gail

I’ll definitely look for him.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

Bob have you retired yet or are you still hanging in there.  😄

The both of you enjoy your cruise.   Yes let's hope the weather improves.    

Have fun.     Joe

26 minutes ago, waltd said:

Bob have you retired yet or are you still hanging in there.  😄

The both of you enjoy your cruise.   Yes let's hope the weather improves.    

Have fun.     Joe

Still hanging in there Joe.  I’ll actually be working a double shift of cruise fund overtime in your area on April 6th......:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Rgards to you and Jax from Holli & I.

Bob

Hi Bob,  

Hope you have a wonderful week.  We' will be boarding right after you, also in an aft cabin.  Those are the best view, aren't they?  Waiting with baited breath to get your input on Share, as that is one of the things I am most looking forward to. 

TIA for sharing your adventure

Tutu

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

An early good morning from Palmdale Ca.  DW & I will be leaving tomorrow for a two night stay at the Doubletree in San Pedro before boarding the Ruby Ptincess on Sunday for our week long California Coastal Cruise.  I decided to start this live from a little early so I could report on our stay in San Pedro and to start compiling a list of questions fellow CC’ers might have.  This will be our third time staying at the HDT for a pre cruise stay.  I would highly recommend the HDT; it is a fantastic hotel. 

As far as the Ruby goes, we will be in an aft (Wake View) Suite.  Aft wake view accommodations are my favorite type of cabin and I always try to snag one when booking a cruise.  While onboard, I am looking forward to trying Share and Gastro Pub.  I am really hoping that the expanded beer menu has been rolled out on the Ruby.  I’m also looking forward to trying out the improved internet service.

We’ve been looking forward to this cruise since we booked early last summer.  We will also be sailing with DW’s sister and her DH.  

Today I’ll be finalizing my packing.  I  won’t ask DW about her packing as I learned long ago to not get involved:classic_biggrin:.  We will both overpack for this cruise but at least we don’t have to fly.  Tomorrow morning I will be taking our beloved Misha to his vacation spot.  After that, we’ll head to my sister’s house who will give us a ride to the hotel. 

Fire away with any questions you may have.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

If you miss the Gastro Pub ( it is very crowded and service is very slow)  your can still get the Ernesto Burger ( just 5$ ( and the Street tacos at the Pool Grill. I had the Burger last Oct on the Ruby and have gotten it out of my system

ernesto.jpg

6 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Bob

If you miss the Gastro Pub ( it is very crowded and service is very slow)  your can still get the Ernesto Burger ( just 5$ ( and the Street tacos at the Pool Grill. I had the Burger last Oct on the Ruby and have gotten it out of my system.

As for Share its a do it one time thing for us. It was 39$ ( 29 now$)  when we did it in 2017 and a rip off compared to the Crown Grill for $29.  After you eat a  Share stop by the Buffet or International Cafe. I weigh 180 and even my beautiful wife who weighs 120 was still hungry also after a three hour multi hi end appetizer Share Dinner. Just my 2 cents.  🙂

Edited by danjessee

2 hours ago, mjceditor said:

Bob,

Have a great cruise!

We will be on the cruise following yours.

I'm curious the know if MedallionNet is up and working.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike;

I'll do my best to let you know as soon as I get on the ship.  DW & I have friends who just got off the Ruby and they said the internet was probably arguably the best they've ever experienced.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

1 hour ago, tutuwahineLV said:

Hi Bob,  

Hope you have a wonderful week.  We' will be boarding right after you, also in an aft cabin.  Those are the best view, aren't they?  Waiting with baited breath to get your input on Share, as that is one of the things I am most looking forward to. 

TIA for sharing your adventure

Tutu

We first experienced an aft (Wake View) cabin on our Sapphire P Hawaii cruise in 2013.  After that cruise I was hooked.  I try my best to choose nothing but when booking.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

Hey Bob, go buy a drink @ the bar and let us know if there's a 18% gratuity. Inquiring minds wanna know  :classic_rolleyes:

I'll check it out, but since I like to frequent the adult beverage establishments, I got the beverage package.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

53 minutes ago, danjessee said:

If you miss the Gastro Pub ( it is very crowded and service is very slow)  your can still get the Ernesto Burger ( just 5$ ( and the Street tacos at the Pool Grill. I had the Burger last Oct on the Ruby and have gotten it out of my system

ernesto.jpg

That looks mighty tasty.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woobstr112G said:

Mike;

I'll do my best to let you know as soon as I get on the ship.  DW & I have friends who just got off the Ruby and they said the internet was probably arguably the best they've ever experienced.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

Thanks again Bob!

It would great if the WiFi was fast enough to FaceTime with the Grandkids.....

Just off last month...go for the street tacos at the new Salty Dog grill. The Ernesto Burger with a beer is $8 bucks if I am not mistaken, $5 alone...but it does take about 20 minutes to have it prepared, as another server takes the order and goes to get the meat patty and brings it to the grill for cooking. On our cruise a, 5 day Cabo the grill was always packed.

However,  Ernesto burgers are available in the MDR on a few nights, no upcharge. Since last April the menu has been tweeted on Ruby, I've been on her 3 times, since the inital menu change, Pacific Coastal, Alaska  and once since the refurb, Cabo.

I love the new menu changes. But miss the speads, now they have an olive oil herb dip, you must request butter.

Share is wonderful and well worth 29.

• Like 1