Live From The Ruby Princess CA Coastal March 10-17, 2019

Woobstr112G

Bon Voyage.

We were in an aft-facing suite (C749) on the Ruby Princess last December--Mexican Riviera cruise.  It was the first time we were able to dine on the balcony while at sea.  We had three dinners (Room Service off the D/R menu, twice, and the UBD, once) and one Ultimate Balcony Breakfast out there.  Typically, we find it too windy to dine on the port/starboard-facing balconies to enjoy a meal.

We also had, possibly, the best room steward, ever, Eldrid, on that cruise.  Mrs. XBGuy loves having lots of ice.  Not only did Eldrid refill the little ice bucket in the mini-fridge twice a day, he left the Champagne bucket that they use to bring the splits of Korbel on embarkation and refilled that every day.

I just read friend Land Lover's post that popped up while I was composing.  Her comment about the Ernesto Burger reminded me that Mrs. XBGuy loved the Hamburger du Jour off the D/R menu the two times we ate off it.

Edited by XBGuy

I have a question on the shuttle service provided from the Doubletree to the ship, as I know you have stayed there before.  Do they have several shuttles, or just one that goes back and forth?  And how long was the wait to get on the shuttle.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Enjoy your cruise, we loved the Ruby.  We ate at Share and it was a fantastic experience, we would do it again if we have the chance.  We were at the Doubletree twice, great location.  Have you eaten at the 22nd street landing during one of your stays at the Doubletree?  We walked there from the hotel, very good seafood.

Dennis

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

An early good morning from Palmdale Ca.  DW & I will be leaving tomorrow for a two night stay at the Doubletree in San Pedro before boarding the Ruby Ptincess on Sunday for our week long California Coastal Cruise.  

Fire away with any questions you may have.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

I'm so excited to follow along- I'll be staying at the Double Tree exactly one month from today, and then boarding the Ruby the next morning to Hawaii. I'm chomping at the bit to start my own thread like this, but will try to wait til at least the week before. 😄

Two questions for you! The first is similar to someone else just above me. I'd like to know about the shuttle to the cruise port in the morning. How far in advance do I need to reserve that? I called the other day but they weren't sure. Can I just mention it at check in? Also, I'm anxious to get to the port as early as possible. I'd like to know what the earliest time I can get a shuttle might be. 

Second, could you keep us updated on how well the internet does. I'm bringing my laptop and praying it'll be worth the suitcase space. I am self employed and will be (hopefully!) keeping  tabs on work and clients throughout the cruise, so I'm hoping to hear it works well. 

Cannot wait to hear all your updates, have fun!

We stayed at the Doubletree Feb 8th  for Feb 9th cruise.  We signed up for the first shuttle (which was at 10 am) when we got to hotel around noon.  If i remember right they were running them every 15 minutes - there were several shuttles in the parking lot.  Had a fantastic time in aft Vista suite -  Food was great in Crowne grille for breakfast and very good (except the fish for some reason and the "special entrees" as he added lots of red pepper flakes) in Club Class.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I have a question on the shuttle service provided from the Doubletree to the ship, as I know you have stayed there before.  Do they have several shuttles, or just one that goes back and forth?  And how long was the wait to get on the shuttle.  Thank you.

I believe they have more than one van. 

3 hours ago, Travelw said:

Enjoy your cruise, we loved the Ruby.  We ate at Share and it was a fantastic experience, we would do it again if we have the chance.  We were at the Doubletree twice, great location.  Have you eaten at the 22nd street landing during one of your stays at the Doubletree?  We walked there from the hotel, very good seafood.

Dennis

We love the HDT and also the 22ND St. Landing.  We ate there prior heading to Hawaii this past November....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

2 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

I'm so excited to follow along- I'll be staying at the Double Tree exactly one month from today, and then boarding the Ruby the next morning to Hawaii. I'm chomping at the bit to start my own thread like this, but will try to wait til at least the week before. 😄

Two questions for you! The first is similar to someone else just above me. I'd like to know about the shuttle to the cruise port in the morning. How far in advance do I need to reserve that? I called the other day but they weren't sure. Can I just mention it at check in? Also, I'm anxious to get to the port as early as possible. I'd like to know what the earliest time I can get a shuttle might be. 

Second, could you keep us updated on how well the internet does. I'm bringing my laptop and praying it'll be worth the suitcase space. I am self employed and will be (hopefully!) keeping  tabs on work and clients throughout the cruise, so I'm hoping to hear it works well. 

Cannot wait to hear all your updates, have fun!

You make your shuttle reservation, the afternoon/evening before departure, with the ffront desk. Very easy thing to do.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

• Like 1

Hope you have a great cruise. We had a 19 day in Coral booked last November and added the 7 day California Coastal on Ruby onto the front end of that one. We had a great cruise. No Medallion Net at that time - the Internet access was the traditional slooooooooow service. Loved the Ruby. Glad you are getting the upgraded service. Unfortunately you are likely also getting the "upgraded" drink gratuities. It's not a huge deal but it's just one more fee increase.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy the Ruby. Looking forward to your posts.

Good morning all.  Well as expected, I got very little sleep last night.  Whenever I'm starting a cruise vacation, I am so amped up that I sleep very little.  As far as today goes, I'll be taking Misha to his vacation spot in a couple of hours.  After that, I have to run a few errands to pick up a couple of items. 

Maybe someone can set me straight on one issue regarding the televisions onboard.  I heard they were the new "On Demand" ones like I experienced on the Royal (2013).  s this true?  I may be in the minority here, because I don't like them due to generally not being able to hook up an external DVD player.  I have heard of some that were able to do this by buying a universal remote to be able to change inputs which are disabled on the new TV remotes.  Is there anyone out there who can confirm of the ability to hook up an external device?

Hope all are well.

Bob

2 hours ago, Woobstr112G said:

Good morning all.  Well as expected, I got very little sleep last night.  Whenever I'm starting a cruise vacation, I am so amped up that I sleep very little.  As far as today goes, I'll be taking Misha to his vacation spot in a couple of hours.  After that, I have to run a few errands to pick up a couple of items. 

Maybe someone can set me straight on one issue regarding the televisions onboard.  I heard they were the new "On Demand" ones like I experienced on the Royal (2013).  s this true?  I may be in the minority here, because I don't like them due to generally not being able to hook up an external DVD player.  I have heard of some that were able to do this by buying a universal remote to be able to change inputs which are disabled on the new TV remotes.  Is there anyone out there who can confirm of the ability to hook up an external device?

Hope all are well.

Bob

Yes, it’s true.  The Ruby has “On Demand”

I'm glad i ran into this.  I'm usually don't follow the Princess thread much, but I found myself booked on the Ruby in May for the quick 5 night up to Vancouver.  I debated whether or not to do a live thread, as i've done 2 previous ones but on Royal Caribbean.

As you said that this is a live thread, can I assume you're getting the wifi package onboard?  I'm not seeing that offered, so i have no idea how much it costs.  Also, if you are getting it, can you post a image of the speed test here when you board?

Thanks

Good afternoon everyone from the Hilton Doubletree in San Pedro.  We’ve been here for about 45 minutes.  Traffic (405 to my sister’s house) was brutal.  The 110 from the 405 was much better.  It’s currently a windy 57 degrees.  Not too much on tap for tonight. We’ll probably eat dinner in the restaurant around 1900.  Before that, I’ll try and get ahold of a high school buddy that lives in SP to see if he wants to join me for an adult beverage or two once the bar opens at 1700.

Take Care All.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 5:35 AM, Woobstr112G said:

An early good morning from Palmdale Ca.  DW & I will be leaving tomorrow for a two night stay at the Doubletree in San Pedro before boarding the Ruby Ptincess on Sunday for our week long California Coastal Cruise.  I decided to start this live from a little early so I could report on our stay in San Pedro and to start compiling a list of questions fellow CC’ers might have.  This will be our third time staying at the HDT for a pre cruise stay.  I would highly recommend the HDT; it is a fantastic hotel. 

As far as the Ruby goes, we will be in an aft (Wake View) Suite.  Aft wake view accommodations are my favorite type of cabin and I always try to snag one when booking a cruise.  While onboard, I am looking forward to trying Share and Gastro Pub.  I am really hoping that the expanded beer menu has been rolled out on the Ruby.  I’m also looking forward to trying out the improved internet service.

We’ve been looking forward to this cruise since we booked early last summer.  We will also be sailing with DW’s sister and her DH.  

Today I’ll be finalizing my packing.  I  won’t ask DW about her packing as I learned long ago to not get involved:classic_biggrin:.  We will both overpack for this cruise but at least we don’t have to fly.  Tomorrow morning I will be taking our beloved Misha to his vacation spot.  After that, we’ll head to my sister’s house who will give us a ride to the hotel. 

Fire away with any questions you may have.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

Friends are going and have heard there is no Happy Hour  on this cruise and other princess cruises?

An early good morning to everyone from the Hilton Doubletree in San Pedro.  I turned in early hence my early rise.  Last night was fairly low key.  We dined en suite because Holli was a little tired.  Before dinner, I met up with an old High School buddy who lives close to the hotel.  It was nice to reconnect.  

As as far as today goes, I’m going to venture out a little later to wander around and take some pictures.  After that I need to head to the local CVS to pick up something that awesome forgot to bring. The rest of the day we’ll play by ear.  Tonight we are meeting up with several other roll call members for dinner at the 22 St. Landing.  We both love this place and try and dine here every time we pre-cruise in San Pedro.  

That’s all for now.  Hope all are well.....:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob

12 hours ago, judy.s.anderson.79 said:

Friends are going and have heard there is no Happy Hour  on this cruise and other princess cruises?

I’m not sure.  I know the “Bogo” went away awhile back but I thought I read/heard somewhere of its return.  I will check into it when I board and advise......:classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Bob