What’s the best way to record the view on ZipRider at ISP?

PittsburghNative

I'd say gopro especially if foggy and in mist. Search youtube for other peoples rides then decide. Check craig's list for older model (hero 4 or newer w/ case) if need be. 45 min ride up, 45 second ride down. sightcrr 

3 hours ago, SightCRR said:

I'd say gopro especially if foggy and in mist. Search youtube for other peoples rides then decide. Check craig's list for older model (hero 4 or newer w/ case) if need be. 45 min ride up, 45 second ride down. sightcrr 

I would hate to buy one and rarely use it. I’ll look into it though!

32 minutes ago, quack2 said:

I would not recommended trying to hold a phone while heading down.  GoPro sounds like a good idea but I've never used one.

I have seen people use selfie sticks! No way would I ever do that. I was thinking if there was someway to latch my phone to me, that would be my preference.

20 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

I have seen people use selfie sticks! No way would I ever do that. I was thinking if there was someway to latch my phone to me, that would be my preference.

I've done the zip line twice.  First time was 100% in the clouds.  Couldn't see a thing.  Maybe that was good. 

Second time was a gorgeous day and it was just awesome.

13 minutes ago, quack2 said:

I've done the zip line twice.  First time was 100% in the clouds.  Couldn't see a thing.  Maybe that was good. 

Second time was a gorgeous day and it was just awesome.

Did you record your trip? Did you see what other people were using to record?

1 minute ago, PittsburghNative said:

Did you record your trip? Did you see what other people were using to record?

I did not record the descent.  However, I did buy the pictures the operating company takes when you are coming down.

If I were going to do that zip line, I would definitely want to record it. I would do the GoPro thing on a headband. I would make sure that the headband was on a short tether in such a way that if it did fly off, it could not go far away from my body. Duct tape might even be a consideration, but I would experiment. A selfie stick might work since the zipline in Hoonah looks like a hands free run but just make sure it is tethered correctly to your wrist. Don't know of any way to attach a phone but there might be a headband for them also. Just secure the headband since the wind might be a factor. I got a GoPro 7 Black a few months ago and am just learning how to use it - it takes a bit of study if you have never used one b4. You might find that you would use it often. Or consider renting one from oerentals  dot  com or borrowlenses  dot  com.  Warning - do not get the AMZN Basics Head Strap Camera Mount for GoPro - the screw is about 1mm too short and might easily strip and/or come loose. 

Edited by masterdrago

14 hours ago, PittsburghNative said:

There is an online company called LENS RENTALS that I've used several times.  They rent practically anything you might need to make pictures or videos.  Their equipment is in perfect shape.  I've not looked before but just did: they have Go Pro cameras of all types plus a lot of accessories.  For a week one could have a camera, body harness that would work well on the Zip Liner plus some other accessories (mounts/clamps) and it would only cost about $100 or so.  That way you're not committed to owning a camera you will rarely use.  That's why I like to rent from them.  I have used several lenses that would otherwise cost a few thousand dollars each to own ALL THE TIME - I only need one for a week or two a few times per year.  They are in Memphis, TN but the equipment is delivered to me via FedEx with a return label and tape to seal the box back up - when I get home I only have to put the  lens back in the box and drop it off at the FedEx office.  I can also have the latest and greatest lens each time - or a different type lens.  I think it's great!

• Like 1

After reading this and your other post I have changed my recommendations. Make sure your iPhone can take some rain as you likely with will have at least some rain. Then at the top take a shot, then put it away. Take a shot at bottom and buy the one in the middle if it is good. Also contact the other 5 to see if they took videos and if they could email them to you. For rentals it takes to long to learn to use gopro & dslr. One of our best whale shots came from grandson's phone video while I was trying and missed the whole thing. Save the photography for the next trip to Alaska and I am guessing after you have been once that there will be more trips to AK. 

1 hour ago, SightCRR said:

After reading this and your other post I have changed my recommendations. Make sure your iPhone can take some rain as you likely with will have at least some rain. Then at the top take a shot, then put it away. Take a shot at bottom and buy the one in the middle if it is good. Also contact the other 5 to see if they took videos and if they could email them to you. For rentals it takes to long to learn to use gopro & dslr. One of our best whale shots came from grandson's phone video while I was trying and missed the whole thing. Save the photography for the next trip to Alaska and I am guessing after you have been once that there will be more trips to AK. 

Is a GoPro that difficult to use?

4 hours ago, PittsburghNative said:

Is a GoPro that difficult to use?

For what you mainly want it for, no it is not. It does have a learning curve but several forums , especially the GoPro one, can set you up pretty quick. You can download the pdf instruction prior to even renting one. Once it is preset for what you want to video and what format you want to use , etc. it's a one button affair to start and stop the filming. By looking at some of the instructional YouTube, you may have to only spend a few hours getting the basics down so that it is a one button record. The thing with my 7 Black, is that it can do so much and so many things, that all that requires time to learn, but just basic recording can be simple. You can actually learn b4 you have it in your hands because there is so much online tools.

To put it in the case and start camera and check for blinking red light, that part is easy. Holding the camera still and level, moving it slow enough to get good pans, subject with you and feature takes a lot. Waterproof case make audio difficult. Then there is video editing which I haven't figured out yet. What I have learned to do so far is set up for still shots every so many seconds then keep 1 out of 20 (if I am lucky) good shots. No audio, no editing. You need to keep up with the charged batteries and some don't have screens that make quick reviews on the spot difficult so see if you are getting what you want. Then you have to fiddle with downloads. 

The latest model 7 Black has fantastic audio, needs no case for water proof use, and has nice stabilization to reduce camera movement and jitters during filming. It has a touch screen to go through the menus which I understand is far superior to the older models. The manual for the 7 Black (that's the one to rent) can be found at https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero7-black/manuals/HERO7Black_UM_ENG_REVC.pdf

Edited by masterdrago

If you want to keep your $$$ in your pocket, use some Gorilla tape and wrap your I phone or S9+ to your wrist. Begin the filming b4 you ever get to the gate. It looks like a hands free ride and it's only a 90 second thrill ride anyway. Get it all on your phone. Don't take chances. Hook it to your hand. Check out something like the Matone Wristband or Gear Beast. Not sure what phone you have but the Gear Beast would block the camera on my S9+.

2 hours ago, masterdrago said:

If you want to keep your $$$ in your pocket, use some Gorilla tape and wrap your I phone or S9+ to your wrist. Begin the filming b4 you ever get to the gate. It looks like a hands free ride and it's only a 90 second thrill ride anyway. Get it all on your phone. Don't take chances. Hook it to your hand. Check out something like the Matone Wristband or Gear Beast. Not sure what phone you have but the Gear Beast would block the camera on my S9+.

I have an iPhone XR. I’m probably making way too big of a deal about this...I’m sure people use their iPhones all the time. But if it were to drop, that would ruin the trip big time.

It looks as if the strap supports I mentioned will not interfere with the camera view of the XR. I would ask the question on AMZN whether will the camera be blocked by the strap and will the strap fit the XR pertaining to the Matone wristband. Keeping your phone secure when you might be exposed to 65mph wind is definitely a big deal. Good to ask questions.

Hit craigslist for iPhone 5s or newer with water proof case or one with the same charger as your xr. Then just use it for photos with your xr in the room safe. That way if it does drop you still have all your info secure along with your expensive phone. Depending on size you may have to delete/transfer photos & videos as you go.  When you get back if you need an extra phone temporally you can get TracFone for $25 for 3 mo. In seattle they go for $100.  

• 3 months later...

I have a couple of suggestions.  First, get a gopro clone, much less expensive, take great videos.  Then there is a accessory kit that has head straps, chest strap, and wrist or ankle straps.    There are four videos that you can find a review of them here: 

11 hours ago, SeaofStars said:

Nice video! Did you enjoy the zip line?

Also, that foneleash looks super handy!

I LOVED the zip line! You can hear my nervousness before being released 😂 you don’t grasp how high you are until you are sitting in the harness. It’s one of those “once in a lifetime” experiences.

Also, the foneleash worked great! I think my iPhone would have been fine without it, but I didn’t want to take any chances, especially with how fast you go.