whats going on with these skyrocketing prices

smith6

2 hours ago, meechee341 said:

From what I've seen and read, there are lots of people who have sailed on MSC in both regular rooms and the in the YC who hate the line and wouldn't sail with them again.  I'm currently watching guy on YouTube who is sailing on the MSC Armonia.  He has admitted in the comments section that he'd never recommend MSC to his friends and family.  He also said the food was horrible.  He's been doing a great job documenting every aspect of his trip.  Hopefully the people who leave Celebrity lured away by the better deals and cheaper prices will have better experiences.  If the reviews I've seen are any indication, I wouldn't hold out much hope....

People believe what they want to believe when reading and writing reviews. I have yet to see a cruise line or ship not have both positive and negative reviews. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We've done 46 cruises, over seven major cruise lines with 494 days at sea and the two cruises on MSC Seaside, in the Yacht Club Deluxe Suite blows all the other ones out of the water. We did the Grand Suite on the Allure of the Seas and the Sky Suite on the Equinox and the overall experience isn't even close. 

MSC put the luxury back in modern luxury and at least until recently, pricing was more than reasonable. For us, it's MSC YC or stay home.

I can't comment on the other categories because I haven't tried them and don't plan on it. As far as reviews, someone famous once said, "Believe nothing you read and only one half of what you see".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I can't comment on the other categories because I haven't tried them and don't plan on it. As far as reviews, someone famous once said, "Believe nothing you read and only one half of what you see".

While I think that's a great euphemism, by that logic a site like Cruise Critic has no business ever being created. And for that matter, why would someone even believe YOUR review of MSC YC if we shouldn't believe what we read?   That's how we learn about what we may like or not like, by doing extensive research based on the experiences of others.  Cruises, like other vacations, are very expensive.  Lots of people would rather learn from the stories of others to help them make more informed decisions.  I'd rather do my research, listen to others (especially when people start repeating the same problems and issues), and take note of wise advice than to refuse to heed the warning and end up wasting my money and being trapped on a ship I won't enjoy.  I have no problem with anyone who enjoys MSC, Carnival, Royal Caribbean or another other cruise line.  But I'd never tell someone to ignore what they read or see on websites such as this and go headlong into disaster.  I appreciate all the people who review their trips with both the positive and negative information they provide.  Their reviews help me make a more informed decision and feel that I am getting the most for my time and money.  

Edited by meechee341
  • Like 1

For us we have found transoceanic cruises are where we find the best deals by far when we book as soon as they come out. For example, here is what we paid (without any TA discounts applied) for the ones we currently have booked:

1. 4/20 14 day Infinity TA - MIA to Barcelona - S2 cabin (all 4 perks) - $4,099 (or $293 pp/day)

2. 4/21 15 day Millennium TP - Tokyo to Vancouver - S2 cabin (all 4 perks) - $4,499 (or $300 pp/day)

3. 10/21 15 day Infinity TA - Barcelona to MIA - A1 cabin (2 perks) - $2,429 (or $162 pp/day)

But I understand what folks are saying. Our 4/20 TA has gone up to $5,299 pp and our 10/21 TA has gone up to $3.679 pp. That's why for us booking early makes the best sense.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

24 minutes ago, Swordfish1949 said:

Supply & Demand is definitely in play. We booked Aug-2020 Canada/Greenland/Iceland/Ireland  in a Celebrity Suite 13 months ago. Looking today, that a CS is available but for over $16000 more!

I guess booking well in advance pays dividends.

I book all my X cruises when they first come out for the best price.  I booked my Hawaiian cruise two years ago and the price has gone up as the cabins sell out.  The top suites and best cabins go quickly, so it's always best to book what you want well in advance.  It also gives you a chance to pay over time.  I can also get a great deal on my excursions when I book my cruise at least a year out ahead! 

On 12/31/2019 at 12:57 PM, meechee341 said:

While I think that's a great euphemism, by that logic a site like Cruise Critic has no business ever being created. And for that matter, why would someone even believe YOUR review of MSC YC if we shouldn't believe what we read?   That's how we learn about what we may like or not like, by doing extensive research based on the experiences of others.  Cruises, like other vacations, are very expensive.  Lots of people would rather learn from the stories of others to help them make more informed decisions.  I'd rather do my research, listen to others (especially when people start repeating the same problems and issues), and take note of wise advice than to refuse to heed the warning and end up wasting my money and being trapped on a ship I won't enjoy.  I have no problem with anyone who enjoys MSC, Carnival, Royal Caribbean or another other cruise line.  But I'd never tell someone to ignore what they read or see on websites such as this and go headlong into disaster.  I appreciate all the people who review their trips with both the positive and negative information they provide.  Their reviews help me make a more informed decision and feel that I am getting the most for my time and money.  

I don’t care if anybody believes my post as most people have their mind made up and just believe the reviews that support their views. If I would believed the reviews I read on MSC, we would have missed out on the cruises we rated #1 and #2 as our favorite cruises we’ve taken out of 46 total.

We have been on 20+ Celebrity cruises.  The prices aren’t bad if you (1) book a few months ahead of time; (2) book through an internet cruise agent; (3) don’t care about which cabin you have (usually book an inside guarantee); and (4) don’t take any extra perks.  The “free”’perks are not free - you are paying high prices for them.   We are Elite and enjoy the free drinks between 5:00 and 7:00 pm, the free laundry, and some free internet minutes.  We will be sailing on the Edge for 2 weeks this winter, when the ship is a little over a year old.  Last winter the prices were outrageous because it was a new ship - just wait a year and the prices are reasonable.