special seating at shows for hearing impaired

Dreamer115

My husband has recently gotten new hearing aids.  They have a setting for "T-coil" which is a system set up in theaters to help hear.  Has anyone else inquired weather they have the set up onboard in the theaters.  If not do you know who I can contact to see if it is available.

Thanks

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Maybe this would help.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Passengers_Special_Needs

We got off Regal on Sunday.  The shows at night were very loud.  So loud we left.

Thanks, that was pretty much for mobility problems.  The loudness is not always the problem, but the other noise going on around makes it impossible for him to hear the entertainer.  With this new set up it would block it out and just bring in the entertainer.  Theaters in big cities now have this available and we were hoping the ships would follow suit.

2 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Maybe this would help.

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp#Passengers_Special_Needs

We got off Regal on Sunday.  The shows at night were very loud.  So loud we left.

OP: the relevant information from the above link...

most onboard theaters have assisted listening devices

12 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

OP: the relevant information from the above link...

most onboard theaters have assisted listening devices

Thank you so much.  I totally missed that.  Still don't see it but you can be sure when we get on board we will be going to guest services to check it out.  Again.  Thank You.

9 minutes ago, Dreamer115 said:

Thank you so much.  I totally missed that.  Still don't see it but you can be sure when we get on board we will be going to guest services to check it out.  Again.  Thank You.

It was all the way down at the bottom.

Here's the complete paragraph...

Princess ships are equipped with “All-in-One Kits” with TTY that can be used in most guest cabins and at Princess wilderness lodges. Most televisions onboard provide closed captioning and most onboard theaters have assisted listening devices. Electric outlets in most staterooms are limited to one and it is helpful to travel with an extension cord for electrical equipment. ADA-compliant systems are also available in the Internet Cafe on every ship.

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

It was all the way down at the bottom.

Here's the complete paragraph...

Princess ships are equipped with “All-in-One Kits” with TTY that can be used in most guest cabins and at Princess wilderness lodges. Most televisions onboard provide closed captioning and most onboard theaters have assisted listening devices. Electric outlets in most staterooms are limited to one and it is helpful to travel with an extension cord for electrical equipment. ADA-compliant systems are also available in the Internet Cafe on every ship.

Extension cord?  I thought those were a big no-no these days....

8 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Maybe this would help.

I've been commenting about that problem for years now on all the ships & nothing has even changed.

I just resort to using ear plugs for all the shows & have accepted the fact they they have no intention of fixing the problem or if they even realize that the extreme volume is a problem for lots of people. Even the volume in the Piazza makes normal conversation next to impossible. I can't imaging how people with hearing aids deal with it.

At least they've done something to people who use the newer hearing aids at the shows.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, pompeii said:

From what I understand on that is that if you do have the medical equipment and have notified them that it would be ok.  We also both use cpaps and I am taking an extension cord with us.  Just no surge protector.

4 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

I've been commenting about that problem for years now on all the ships & nothing has even changed.

I just resort to using ear plugs for all the shows & have accepted the fact they they have no intention of fixing the problem or if they even realize that the extreme volume is a problem for lots of people. Even the volume in the Piazza makes normal conversation next to impossible. I can't imaging how people with hearing aids deal with it.

At least they've done something to people who use the newer hearing aids at the shows.

Easy Peasy...I take them out.😁😣

On the Disabled Cruise  Board there have been several discussions of the T-coil and other assistive listening systems on the various cruise ships.  I suggest that you do a search of that board for information and post your question there too.  As I recall, there was also information that you need to contact the Special Needs Department of the cruise line (Princess, in this case) and advise them of your needs and ask them for assistance.  Princess has an email address for the Special Needs department on their website.

I do know that it is unlikely that a Guest Services representative at the Guest Relations desk knows how to assist you if you just go up to the desk and ask.  We never get correct information when we ask about the wheelchair lift on the pool, but over the years we now know to go to the pool deck and talk with the Pool Deck Mgr.   I need to seek out the theatre mgr or theatre audio/visual mgr and talk with them about the issue.  Hopefully Princess Special Needs will notify the ship of your need and also advise you who to contact regarding this once onboard.  You do need to talk with the onboard contact and insure appropriate arrangements are made well in advance of the show(s) you want to see.

3 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

On the Disabled Cruise  Board there have been several discussions of the T-coil and other assistive listening systems on the various cruise ships.  I suggest that you do a search of that board for information and post your question there too.  As I recall, there was also information that you need to contact the Special Needs Department of the cruise line (Princess, in this case) and advise them of your needs and ask them for assistance.  Princess has an email address for the Special Needs department on their website.

I do know that it is unlikely that a Guest Services representative at the Guest Relations desk knows how to assist you if you just go up to the desk and ask.  We never get correct information when we ask about the wheelchair lift on the pool, but over the years we now know to go to the pool deck and talk with the Pool Deck Mgr.   I need to seek out the theatre mgr or theatre audio/visual mgr and talk with them about the issue.  Hopefully Princess Special Needs will notify the ship of your need and also advise you who to contact regarding this once onboard.  You do need to talk with the onboard contact and insure appropriate arrangements are made well in advance of the show(s) you want to see.

Thank you so much I didn't even know there was a disabled cruise board.  You guys are amazing.  Love Cruise Critic.  I'm heading there to check it out.

16 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

I could not stand the loudness with tissue stuff in my ears and my DH uses hearing aids (which he did not have in) and he could not take the loudness either.  He also left the show too.  Last week we did not see one show because of the loudness.

5 hours ago, Dreamer115 said:

Don't think I've ever seen one on cruise ships.

That's a main reason why MUTS isn't that great if you have some hearing impairment. At least on the room TV's they've now included captioning on most of the televised movies lately which for me is a great improvement especially for English movies. 

On 3/13/2019 at 3:50 AM, pompeii said:

Extension cords are fine.  The more "plain vanilla" they are, the less likely staff are to confuse them with surge

protectors, which are a fire danger afloat.

Because AC power is wired differently afloat (to control corrosion) than ashore, surge protectors do catch fire

when they get triggered by a surge while plugged into shipboard power.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety Alerts/USCG Marine Safety Alert 03-13 Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293