Non US citizen to book thru US TA or MSC US website

bill.smith

3 hours ago, bill.smith said:

HI

Please advise if its allowed for Non USA citizen to book MSC cruise using US TA or MSC US website?

Thanks

As Captain-John has outlined, you can book thru' a US TA.  However, you can only book direct with MSC thru' the appointed office of the country in which you reside. (I qualify this as we in Ireland have to book thru' the UK office - even though we can't access UK prices or promotions).

Unless things have changed since last summer, be aware that whilst you can book via a US TA (I’m from the UK and booked with a US TA) you won’t be able to purchase anything via the planner or via your TA  that is chargeable unless you have a cc with a US billing address. I was on Seaside last year and had this issue.

Edited by weejasser
typo

11 minutes ago, weejasser said:

Unless things have changed since last summer, be aware that whilst you can book via a US TA (I’m from the UK and booked with a US TA) you won’t be able to purchase anything via the planner or via your TA  that is chargeable unless you have a cc with a US billing address. I was on Seaside last year and had this issue.

I was able to upgrade the drinks package and add the Trio dining package via our US travel agent. What we were unable to do was print any sail passes in advance. Ken

1 hour ago, sidari said:

You will not be covered by ABTA if you have issues with your booking.

I'm not entirely sure what the risk is - I have fairly comprehensive travel insurance and pay with a credit card.

Genuine question - what would I not be covered for?

1 hour ago, CruiseIreland said:

I was able to upgrade the drinks package and add the Trio dining package via our US travel agent. What we were unable to do was print any sail passes in advance. Ken

How did you print the sail passes? 

did you face other issues with check-in or at boarding?

3 hours ago, bill.smith said:

How did you print the sail passes? 

did you face other issues with check-in or at boarding?

Just turned up at the terminal. I gave my booking confirmation number which I had on my phone. No problem. Check in staff printed my cruise card. I did have to show evidence of my ESTA, which l had also downloaded. All went smoothly. Ken

I hold a US Green Card. Children are American Citizens. I hold a NON US Passport. I reside in both USA and another country. Pay Tax in both countries.  I had made reservations, paid deposit to a US 'Vacation company' when I received a phone call saying they could 'Not honour my MSC cruise booking' as I was not a US resident!!!  The TA Sales staff member was useless. I explained (4th occasion) that I did 'Indeed' reside in the US (albeit part time and duration varies year to year) and that I was currently out of the US making the booking to sail with a friend. The amount of stress and fuss this caused. I placed a lengthy worded email to the CEO of the Vacation Company to which I carried forward my vow never to book again with them (MSC). 

The Vacation company in the end, said they contacted MSC and that Yes, I could indeed travel. I would need to produce documents at the pier at check in. 

This I found unforgiving. I was NOT prepared to line up my Personal Documentation to show my US Life!  

I decided to cancel as the thought of having such Stress at the Pier, was just not worth it, with many many other Cruise Lines to choose from. Deposit refunded no issues.

Edited by Clarissa01
spelling error

I did order via US TA, I did get the booking number and confirmation.

I did paid the deposit with non-US credit card so from this point no issues.

The problem I am facing are several:

1. Login to my booking is only via the US website and not the local one.

2. When trying to registet to the status match or even the voyager, Iam in trouble, the local office tells me I can only do it with my TA, they only handle those booking directly in Israel, either with them or Israeli TA, the US website requires US address/phone for online registration, customer care telling me I need to approqch the local office....

My TA did try to contact MSC, tehy told her I have a number but wouldn't let her know what it is(strange)...and theybkind of been "angry" that she booked me.

I will try to call them directly and ask...

I must admit that this is my second cruise booked, last one was again with the same TA, last September on the Symphony, had no issues at all. I really don't know why MSC is giving hard time, having each country different website and cannot log to the booking with each site.

I didn't try to add anything to the cruise yet , cruise is only on September, I do plan to add some items, photos, laundry etc. 

Hope this will be fine. I did ask in local forum, and got feedback about people booking via non Israeli TA (not US though) and had no issue, they booked and cruised last year.

Thanks

The question is why they are deciding on that policy, unlike other lines.

With all the difficulties, at least for me it in the Symphony cruise it was more than $1,500 saving for 2 rooms, and for the coming MSC cruise it is over $1,000.

I guess they too need to know the world is being global and there is no reason to have different prices for each country.

I am sure cruises doesn't cost the Israeli office of MSC more so if theybwant to have more profit, customers doesn't need to fund them...

On 3/16/2019 at 12:13 AM, CruiseIreland said:

Just turned up at the terminal. I gave my booking confirmation number which I had on my phone. No problem. Check in staff printed my cruise card. I did have to show evidence of my ESTA, which l had also downloaded. All went smoothly. Ken

what does ESTA mean? how you download it?

Hi Bob,

ESTA os a form of pre-approved customs application for the US.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

There is a similar process for Canadian citizens (which I see you are not), called NEXUS.

Essentially, you lay out your citizenship credentials, answer questions so that your security and criminality risks are assessed, and perhaps interviews.  Once approved, which may be a lengthy process, then you get a card/status that allows to pass through customs faster.

As far as I know, Italian citizens may not apply for ESTA or NEXUS, but I may be wrong.  In any event, Such a process is certainly not useful if you only intend to enter the USA or Canada only once, perhaps a few times a year.  If you are a frequent traveller to those countries, you would have known about ESTA or NEXUS.  Bottom line: you don't need it.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:34 PM, weejasser said:

Not true (we are from Holland) via the MSC USA site we can book everything in advance

On 3/16/2019 at 12:34 PM, nayuval said:

I did order via US TA, I did get the booking number and confirmation.

I did paid the deposit with non-US credit card so from this point no issues.

The problem I am facing are several:

1. Login to my booking is only via the US website and not the local one.

2. When trying to registet to the status match or even the voyager, Iam in trouble, the local office tells me I can only do it with my TA, they only handle those booking directly in Israel, either with them or Israeli TA, the US website requires US address/phone for online registration, customer care telling me I need to approqch the local office....

My TA did try to contact MSC, tehy told her I have a number but wouldn't let her know what it is(strange)...and theybkind of been "angry" that she booked me.

I will try to call them directly and ask...

I must admit that this is my second cruise booked, last one was again with the same TA, last September on the Symphony, had no issues at all. I really don't know why MSC is giving hard time, having each country different website and cannot log to the booking with each site.

I didn't try to add anything to the cruise yet , cruise is only on September, I do plan to add some items, photos, laundry etc. 

Hope this will be fine. I did ask in local forum, and got feedback about people booking via non Israeli TA (not US though) and had no issue, they booked and cruised last year.

Thanks

I booked 4 cruises via AmDiscountCrui$e$ and they gave me a bookingnumber to book everything else via MSC USA. The only thing I can not do, is use my login....but you can login via your booking number and familyname and purchase everything, and also chek-in....perfect! It is so much cheaper for us to book in the US. Even now the Dollar is not so good for us...the prices are much cheaper than in Holland...cruising in Holland is not very popular yet (we are a camping nation)