Royal Caribbean Port Shuttles

johnjc14

Hi

We are taking our granddaughter (aged6)on to Oasis in May. some of the cruise ports are a distance from the town/attractions-Marseilles, Mallorca etc. As I understand it, Royal do not provide port shuttles unless you are using one of their shore excursions-which we would do, but the duration of their tours is too long (6-8 hours in Naples and Le Spezia)to take 6 year old. Also the type of tour is not appropriate.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated

You might also look at DIY excursions (booked with your cruiseline) which just provide transportation but they will also be a certain number of hours due to the distance....and can be a good option to then do what you want within the timeframe you'll have. These are a favorite of ours when distance is a factor. Many (once there) ports will offer a shuttle for a small fee that won't be advertised or bookable before you get into port....and many will be within easy walking distance. 

Edited by Ashland

As mentioned look at independent tour operators to find excursions more in line with your preferences.  They will provide shuttles where needed.  

Royal is not the entity providing the transportation - that is provided by the tour operators contracted by them for their paying customers.  It is not uncommon for shuttles to be provided for tours originated through the cruise lines for those paying customers only, and to not provide other transportation for the rest of the passengers not paying for a tour through them.

In other words you either book through the cruise line and are provided transportation as part of that tour, or you book an independent tour, or do something on your own through a taxi, public bus, or car rental.  But, again, the cruise lines are not likely to provide shuttles for passengers not booking tours through them.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As mentioned look at independent tour operators to find excursions more in line with your preferences.  They will provide shuttles where needed.  

Royal is not the entity providing the transportation - that is provided by the tour operators contracted by them for their paying customers.  It is not uncommon for shuttles to be provided for tours originated through the cruise lines for those paying customers only, and to not provide other transportation for the rest of the passengers not paying for a tour through them.

In other words you either book through the cruise line and are provided transportation as part of that tour, or you book an independent tour, or do something on your own through a taxi, public bus, or car rental.  But, again, the cruise lines are not likely to provide shuttles for passengers not booking tours through them.

Perhaps I'm not understanding some of your specific response. However we have been in certain ports where RCI/Celebrity contracted with local shuttle companies to provide transportation into the nearby town. Some of these you had to pay the shuttle directly and some you could use your SeaPass...these were not excursions and couldn't be booked in advance.

Some of the few that come into mind were....Dublin, Tallin, Helsinki & Gothenburg.

20 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Perhaps I'm not understanding some of your specific response. However we have been in certain ports where RCI/Celebrity contracted with local shuttle companies to provide transportation into the nearby town. Some of these you had to pay the shuttle directly and some you could use your SeaPass...these were not excursions and couldn't be booked in advance.

Some of the few that come into mind were....Dublin, Tallin, Helsinki & Gothenburg.

Sorry I meant this as provided as free or complimentary to the passengers.  Shuttles arrange by the cruise lines and charging a separate fee or a charge applied to your SeaPass card may be available. However my understanding is that cruise line sponsored shuttles at no charge to the passengers would be unusual.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hi

It was not my intention to find free of charge shuttles-just the ability to get to somewhere more enjoyable than an industrial port-such as Livorno (we went there on Vision and a shuttle was provided, but this was 3 years ago). I do not know if taxis will be available at the dock side-especially in Mallorca.

Azamara, Viking, PO and Princess seem to provide this service-either for an additional amount or free. I have chosen family friendly shore excursions where I can, including using Cruising Excursions. But a lot of the RCI ones are just too long to interest a 6 year old.

Am very grateful for all your help.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

Port operated shuttles are far more common. Dublin is an exception we have witnessed...HAL doesn't charge for them there. In Tallinn  we walked. Helsinki we took a taxi. Have not been to Gothenburg.

From our experience, in the Med, the ports seem to be the main suppliers of shuttles where needed.