Medallion Tech Questions

cruisedoctor

1 hour ago, cmerun said:

I’m still trying to totally understand this medallion thing-

its just one more thing to do for me!

we are on CB May 18 cruise

i was told when I called the Navigator people that I could opt out of the medallion-

I don’t mind using it for opening door etc but we leave phones in safe majority of our cruise -

I have already printed all documents required for boarding-

wondring what might happen if I just ignore medallion and see what happens st the port?

But that might make for a LONG embarkation!

Any thoughts?

Help!!

You do not have to use your phone while on the Medallion cruise. Ours stayed in the safe for two weeks..unless we were contacting kids at home during one port day. 

The medallion is issued at embarkation on a lanyard. Just put it around your neck or in your pocket. You do not have to do anything after that if you decide, like us, not to walk around with your phone. 

It will unlock your cabin door when you are close (like I posted above).  Waiters will not ask for your medallion when ordering a drink, but make sure they are calling your name...their hand held device will pick up everyone's signal.  

Although we are not into all this tech stuff, it was nice not to dig for your cruise card every time you got to your door.

BTW..we did not have the medallion shipped to the house before the cruise..getting it at the port was quick and easy

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I used a different password for the Medallion account when I set it up. Worked fine, just like tech department told you.

Same here. Medallion apps had more password requirements than my sign in with Princess.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 6:03 AM, AF-1 said:

Sorry for mixup.  It is actually called ocean compass and it is part of medallion net;  you won't be able to use or download until you are onboard

It is called Ocean Ready and I have it with my Princess Profile on it

Howard

56 minutes ago, debi2g said:

Same here. Medallion apps had more password requirements than my sign in with Princess.

You no longer need a password

Only your cabin number and date of birth are required to log in

image.thumb.jpeg.bd0bf9aa74467bba4f7c23b3eb499332.jpeg

56 minutes ago, hm9912 said:

You no longer need a password

Only your cabin number and date of birth are required to log in

image.thumb.jpeg.bd0bf9aa74467bba4f7c23b3eb499332.jpeg

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I was referring to the initial setup of the password requirements such as the number of characters, upper and lower characters, numbers etc...

On 3/23/2019 at 11:42 AM, AF-1 said:

I used the medallion last month on Caribbibean Princess.  The cruise card is flat and sits in a t-shirt pocket or pants pocket for men.  The medallion I wore on lanyard.  I guess for ease of use;  if I ordered a drink at the bar or bought something in gift shop; my medallion was on the lanyard so I could sit it on the scanning machine at the bar or gift shop.  Same process with the key card;  pull out of pants or shirt pocket and lay it on scanner.  If you have an apple watch(which I do),  I use it for paying check in restaurants, grocery and pharmacies.  I flick my wrist and pay.  The medallion works on same principle as apple pay with your apple watch(if you have one).  For me the medallion program was seamless and required no learning curves.  Hope this helps

AF-1. How do you add info for medallion on other cruiser that is on your reservation  linda

Linda,  on the Ocean Ready app,  you log in and then set up your profile; once you have your profile set up, you will see a green check mark next to your picture.  You can then add another person to the app profile.  What ocean ready app does is; it allows you to pre register for your cruise and have a digital boarding pass.  Much like your cruise personalizer, you put in your passport info, and such, you can then print out your boarding pass from your personalizer;  the ocean ready app gives you a digital boarding pass.  You will  take a security picture with your smartphone, .  When you see the green check mark by you profile picture; the app will say; "you are ocean ready"; meaning you can order your medallion.  You have a choice of having the medallions mailed to you; (normally they are mailed two weeks prior to sail date), or you can opt to have medallion waiting at the port for you.  

We recently downloaded the Ocean Ready app and created a login.  I was able to add photos and personal info but it would not find any future bookings.  Is there a time frame for future cruises?  I entered my booking number but received a error message that name not found on this sailing and to check my spelling.  Is this app only effective a short while before you cruises?

Kitty2264,   you are correct.  The app is good for your current cruise.  I have a cruise booked for next year and it won't accept my info either.  I used it for my Feb cruise last month;  I am not sure; but I think maybe is has to be within 3-6 months of your cruise.  

Thank you very much I put in some info on myself but didn’t complete it like the pic and passport info   Then tried to put in my husbands and was having trouble. I will try to complete mine. Then try his. Thanks for all your help

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 6:08 PM, lx200gps said:

I thought the Medallions were passive RFID, which don't have a battery. I'll be looking to get my Medallion or cruise card adjusted to the shortest range possible, I have no problem  holding it up to the reader at the cabin, I don't need to have it open the cabin door from down the hall.

The medallion is pretty much a rip off of Disney Magic bands.

Here is a teardown of a Magic Band, showing the battery:

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86775

As Princess has said that the Medallion supports Bluetooth Low Energy,

it would need a power source...

6 hours ago, pablo222 said:

The medallion is pretty much a rip off of Disney Magic bands.

Does that mean we should all be expecting a lawsuit from Disney against PCL and a cease and desist order from a court?