Age limits for excursions irony

2wheelin

I find it a little ironic when looking at excursions for my upcoming cruise that at the age of 71, I am not allowed on many of the snorkeling trips but even if I were 81 could rent a Harley or an ATV. Anyone else notice this? Actually I do ride a motorcycle more than I swim. Lol. Also skydive.

I agree with the previous response, it's a potential liability issue for the tour provider and they would rather lose a few customers than run the risk of paying damages due to an accident by an "older" customer. I don't like it either - I was excluded from an interesting excursion in the past due to age and thought it was absurd as I've done the same excursion since then with providers without an age restriction with no issue whatsoever.

Edited by joepeka

3 minutes ago, mapman_2004 said:

Is that even legal?  Or is ageism only a thing for employment

Since these tour operators are not in the US, I think they can do pretty much what they want. But since you sign waivers, I don’t get their reasoning. A 40 year old with balance issues is more of a liability than a perfectly fit “older” person. 

I guess there are plenty of other tour operators who want my business and I will participate in whatever activities I feel fit for. I just returned from climbing a mountain in Guatemala to zip line and then climbed a volcano a few days later.

• Like 1

Hi 2wheelin

I have never encountered this issue for a snorkeling before,  but then again, I rarely book a cruise line excursion.

I would suggest booking with a third party excursion. They are typically less expensive, and better. Check the port of call threads for suggested reliable companies. TripAdvisor, is also a good source for this type of information.

p.s. the only time I have seen actual restrictions would be for scuba diving...but that is normal

Edited by Nic6318

11 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

You do know that you can’t rent a car under 25, right?

And with some companies there is an upper limit too. I had forgotten about that.

14 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi 2wheelin

I have never encountered this issue for a snorkeling before,  but then again, I rarely book a cruise line excursion.

I would suggest booking with a third party excursion. They are typically less expensive, and better. Check the port of call threads for suggested reliable companies. TripAdvisor, is also a good source for this type of information.

p.s. the only time I have seen actual restrictions would be for scuba diving...but that is normal

Good idea and I have done some third party in the past. Just got lazy this time since I’ve had too much else to do and didn’t take time to do the research.