Christmas Cruise, tell me

cruisinmems

For those that have cruised in December, I am planning a group Christmas cruise.  I have never sailed during the month of December so please tell me about the ship and the happenings going on at that time of year.  Will the shows be the same or geared more toward holiday themed?  Any information you have would be most helpful.  Thank you!

They will start decorating the first cruise following the Thanksgiving cruise.  Shows will be the same, but there will be children's activities, and a show in the theater with the kids one afternoon.  EM

We have sailed the last three years in December. In my opinion the best part of sailing during this time is how the ships are decorated. They will have numerous Christmas related activities during the month, but the production shows are still the same (Flick. America Rocks, 88 Keys, etc.) depending on what ship you are sailing. 

I cruised over Christmas.  There wasn't much that was Christmas themed. They had the lighting of the tree and snow falling in the lobby one night.  Maybe I just didn't look for Christmas themed activities.  They had a special dinner over Christmas eve.  The ship is decorated in Christmas decor throughout.  We had celebrated Christmas 2 weeks before so I felt like Christmas was over.  They took fun holiday pictures and the Grinch was on the ship. 

Edited by TG6

I have cruised over Christmas, and we are again this year. There are some fun things, and the decorations are done nicely.

Below is from Carnival site-

Have you ever dreamed of celebrating Christmas at sea? You should — on a Carnival cruise! These cheerful getaways are some of our most popular cruises. And it’s no wonder — every ship is decked out, bow-to-stern, with wreaths, lights, Christmas trees… and ooh, mistletoe! There’s even a special mailbox for letters to Santa.

Guests will gather for caroling around the tree. Fashionistas can try their luck in an Ugly Sweater Competition. And an extra-special, live-on-stage Holiday Show puts everyone in the spirit.

Whether it’s a Christmas service or a Hanukkah service with nightly menorah lighting at sunset, guests are welcome to celebrate their holiday with family and friends.

And in the spirit of Grinchmas — the only one at sea — you’re in for lots of extra fun! Taking a page from Dr. Seuss’ classic book, The Grinch himself will join you at sea during this most merry time. He’ll make surprise appearances throughout your vacation, so keep your eyes peeled. If you don’t catch him, catch his live holiday show and character breakfast.

“Not-home-for-the-holidays” has kind of a nice ring to it, wouldn’t you agree?

I've sailed during Christmas. They did have a special menu that night but I don't recall what it was. It was a traditional American Christmas dinner. I do recall that much. The ship was very nicely decorated. On Christmas Day they had a formal night in the DR and people where dressed to the 9's, the women had on all their expensive jewelry and I saw lots of long formal dresses. There was a very long wait (we had anytime dining) for a table. You also had a very long wait if you wanted your photos taken as everyone was getting them that night. The ship had a lot of very young children on it. It seemed that many were left to roam the ship on their own as there was a lot of door knocking, and elevator playing. Also, the kids packed in every pool and hot tub, even the adults only ones. It wasn't until our second leg (we did a B2B) that we could get near a hot tub or the pool.  Most everyone had decorations on their doors. The staff was more cheerful than usual, if that's possible. We enjoyed it, any cruise is a good cruise as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't do it again. You'll pay a premium to sail on Christmas and it did seem a lot more crowded. The seas were pretty rough too. I don't know if they are always rough during that time of the year but there was a lot of noticeable rocking that I've never experienced on any other cruise. Most people had to hold on to the walls to walk down the halls. 

I agree fully with this.  The seas were really rough and most of our water based excursions were canceled.  However, our special menu dinner was on Christmas Eve.  I don't agree it was traditional dinner.  Yeah, they had turkey, but everything else was way too fancy for me. lol I wasn't upset by this at all.  I just tried new things. 

Edited by TG6

We did one Christmas cruise and I LOVED IT !!! 🎄

** I bought all the family gift cards so that took the shopping and shipping stress away  (took on the ship one small wrapped gift for DH and he did the same for me) 🎁

**I didn't bake any cookies !! 🍪

** I put a wreath on the house front door and strew a few decorations around the house but did not bother with putting up a tree.🎄

**The day before we left we had son and wife over for a holiday dinner.🍗

**I decorated the cabin with $5 worth of Dollar Tree decorations that I left behind when we disembarked.🌲

**The ship had a lovely menu both Christmas Eve and Christmas Night - for which I didn't have to shop, cook for hours, clear the table or do the dishes. ... and totally enjoyed being waited on hand and foot by the MDR staff.🍽️

**Sitting out on the deck by the pool with a lovely umbrella drink in hand .... it just "don't git no better"  🍹

We could only do it one year due to health issues in the family later but it was a fabulous memory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, summersigh said:

**The ship had a lovely menu both Christmas Eve and Christmas Night - for which I didn't have to shop, cook for hours, clear the table or do the dishes. ... and totally enjoyed being waited on hand and foot by the MDR staff.🍽️

**Sitting out on the deck by the pool with a lovely umbrella drink in hand .... it just "don't git no better"  🍹

This right here is EXACTLY why I booked our first Christmas cruise. I have teens so I won't be bothered by extra kids on the ship...I'm experienced in that with their friends lol. I made sure to get a balcony so I have my own quiet spot if I need it!