Anyone use Airbnb site to book a place in Ft. Lauderdale

sj25

I didn't know if anyone has had experience with booking with Airbnb. com to book a place to use before a cruise for Port Everglades

Edited by sj25

1 hour ago, sj25 said:

I didn't know if anyone has had experience with booking with Airbnb. com to book a place to use before a cruise for Port Everglades

I haven't used them but I have seen some of the locals on this board warning others about the risks due to laws about short-term rentals. I also read a recent report about guests being forced to leave by the authorities for this reason.

Probably someone will chip in with details but in the meantime you could try doing a search on the board for more information.

We've used numerous Airbnbs in both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Never had an issue. We stayed in 3 different Airbnbs in Ft. Lauderdale last year, and have another booked for May of this year. We typically use Airbnb/VRBO anywhere we stay when we travel. Just make sure you're staying with a reputable host with plenty of reviews. 

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I haven't used them but I have seen some of the locals on this board warning others about the risks due to laws about short-term rentals. I also read a recent report about guests being forced to leave by the authorities for this reason.

Probably someone will chip in with details but in the meantime you could try doing a search on the board for more information.

Problems can arise with short term rentals of condos in South Florida.  Many, if not most, condo buildings have a rule that owners agree to upon purchase limiting the number of rentals in a year and setting a minimum rental period (for example, my building has the common 1 rental a year for a minimum of 3 months rule).  You do not want to show up and be denied entry or unpack and then be told to leave so make sure any condo rented through AirBnB, VRBO, etc. has no restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 1:24 PM, capriccio said:

Problems can arise with short term rentals of condos in South Florida.  Many, if not most, condo buildings have a rule that owners agree to upon purchase limiting the number of rentals in a year and setting a minimum rental period (for example, my building has the common 1 rental a year for a minimum of 3 months rule).  You do not want to show up and be denied entry or unpack and then be told to leave so make sure any condo rented through AirBnB, VRBO, etc. has no restrictions.

We actually have a notice in our elevators about this.  The FOBS will be turned off and access denied with the renter being told to call AirBNB.  The owners of the unit are then fined per occurrence.