Cuba tourist card before departure?

cftgyhujik

Going on MSC departing Miami May 20, and we'll be doing Havana tour independently rather than through ship excursions. Appreciate the responses that have convinced me that we will have no trouble with not using the MSC excursions. Now I'm working on the visa issue.

I've seen on the forums talk of complication getting the tourist card (visa) for Cuba through the ship -- you have to be in your stateroom when they deliver it to sign for it and if you are not there they will not leave it. I'd like to avoid any chance of trouble.

Has anyone obtained their visa from a 3rd party company before departing on the cruise? It looks like it costs a little more ($85 each vs. $75 each, with additional total $25 shipping charge), but I'd be willing to pay a little more to be sure we don't get caught having problems getting what we need to get off the ship in Havana.

Hi, I was the guy who had the issue on board...

Here's the thing, IF you do that, they will still try to issue you a visa, and if you as much as mark on it in the slightest, they'll still charge you for it.  It's numbered and assigned to you.

I suppose you could get one before hand, but on board you'll still have to give it back, untouched, to the CS desk to get it off your bill

There are not many reviews or threads relating to Armonia/Cuba sailings, some passengers confirm the visa/tourist card was left in their cabin without any any requirement for them to be present. However, EngIceDave did experience an issue and was advised they had to be in the cabin to receive.

• Like 1

You do not have to be in your cabin to receive the visa - your cabin steward will leave one for each person with a letter outlining what to do with it. As EngIceDave as stated, if you don't want to use it you must not mark it in any way. It needs to be returned to Guest Services in perfect condition as they are numbered and MSC is obligated to keep track of them. Here's a photo of the visa with the accompanying letter:

d275a7fd75c74e9c7c31b1c728571f63.jpg

It's $75 each for US citizens and $50 for Irish and British citizens.  This charge will be added to your onboard account.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

You do not have to be in your cabin to receive the visa - your cabin steward will leave one for each person with a letter outlining what to do with it. As EngIceDave as stated, if you don't want to use it you must not mark it in any way. It needs to be returned to Guest Services in perfect condition as they are numbered and MSC is obligated to keep track of them. Here's a photo of the visa with the accompanying letter:

It's $75 each for US citizens and $50 for Irish and British citizens.  This charge will be added to your onboard account.

Thank you so much. The picture is very helpful. I note that the letter talks about "If you already have the VISA..." That tells me it is fine to get it ahead of time. I am hopeful that if I get it ahead of time and show it to the desk before it is delivered, it won't be delivered at all. I do realize if it is delivered I will have to be sure to keep it in perfect condition before returning it. I just have this fear of something unexpected happening and not getting it in time.

I understand your fear.  We had almost zero information relating to the visa when we first booked.  It didn't help that our TA gave us very conflicting information.  I'm from Ireland;  our TA was directing us to the Cuban consulate;  on its website it stated that if we were entering Cuba from the US, we had to apply for our 'tourist card' there.   Fortunately I read on here that the visa was taken care of onboard.

There is also a form you'll receive with your cruise tickets which has to be filled in and submitted at embarkation.  I posted a link to a pdf and explained what you need to do, depending on what plans you have in Havana, in post #102 of the following:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2631573-notes-from-armonia-miami-havana-jan-2019/page/5/

• Like 1

Don't worry about the visa.the ship will take care of it just pay the $75 and go with it.there have been multitudes of cruises to Cuba with no issues that I heard of other than what box to check and that is not an issue either.its a a money grab as long as you pay it's all good.dont worry about.they won't put you in Gitmo .

On 3/26/2019 at 6:58 PM, cftgyhujik said:

Going on MSC departing Miami May 20, and we'll be doing Havana tour independently rather than through ship excursions. Appreciate the responses that have convinced me that we will have no trouble with not using the MSC excursions. Now I'm working on the visa issue.

I've seen on the forums talk of complication getting the tourist card (visa) for Cuba through the ship -- you have to be in your stateroom when they deliver it to sign for it and if you are not there they will not leave it. I'd like to avoid any chance of trouble.

Has anyone obtained their visa from a 3rd party company before departing on the cruise? It looks like it costs a little more ($85 each vs. $75 each, with additional total $25 shipping charge), but I'd be willing to pay a little more to be sure we don't get caught having problems getting what we need to get off the ship in Havana.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off the Armonia April 8.  I think we were in our room getting ready when our visas were delivere. Not sure if we signed for them. I am posting here to see if anyone else had the same situation we did when getting on the ship for embarkation. When going through the queue of getting our ship cards, pictures, etc; This is the question, the form for Guest Certification For Authorized US Travel to Cuba that is in the original paperwork to be filled out prior to boarding. The MSC host at the desk took our form and told us, we filled in out wrong. We chose  under #3. Support for the Cuban People. We had private tours booked with Blexie (we really enjoyed both tours, on each day). She literally ripped one of our sheets in half and I took the others from her to prevent her from doing the same to all three (three in our group). She then had us fill out new ones and mark #1  MSC cruises People to People Program.  I really don't know what went on or what the problem was. Her explanation did not make sense, but we had no issues getting visas or getting off the ship in Cuba. Only wondering if anyone else had to pick #1 MSC  People to People when you had a private tour booked. The lady's name badge only said Host, no name to go by.  We had read all the previous post on CC prior to our trip and Beamafar had done an excellent job of posting information and answering questions, but we have looked since our trip and haven't read anyone posting anything similar to this situation. ?? 

15 hours ago, gobama#1 said:

The MSC host at the desk took our form and told us, we filled in out wrong. We chose  under #3. Support for the Cuban People. We had private tours booked with Blexie (we really enjoyed both tours, on each day). She literally ripped one of our sheets in half and I took the others from her to prevent her from doing the same to all three (three in our group). She then had us fill out new ones and mark #1  MSC cruises People to People Program.  I really don't know what went on or what the problem was....

I suspect you are a US citizen, the "host" saved you a lot of trouble.  Any US citizen visiting Cuba has to have a valid reason for their visit based on compliance with the OFAC (Office of Foreign Asset Control) regulations.  These specific valid reasons are called a license, or sometimes a travel waiver, to you being otherwise prohibited from visiting Cuba.  Most of the licenses are quite specific, and you must keep documentation about what you did and how you complied with this license for five years as your visit is subject to OFAC review and you can be fined for an improper visit.  I suggest US citizens research and understand this process before traveling as the current lax enforcement of this policy has been politicized and the existing regulations can be enforced at any time and even retroactively to any past visits as they remain subject to review.  The FAQ file at the US Treasury site linked below has accurate information, see Section II, items 15 through 17 which refers to the "People to People" license, currently what most US citizens have to use to visit Cuba:

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/programs/pages/cuba.aspx

On 3/27/2019 at 4:22 PM, Beamafar said:

Do you know how much it is for Canadian citizens?   

On 4/14/2019 at 5:23 PM, gobama#1 said:

We just got off the Armonia April 8.  I think we were in our room getting ready when our visas were delivere. Not sure if we signed for them. I am posting here to see if anyone else had the same situation we did when getting on the ship for embarkation. When going through the queue of getting our ship cards, pictures, etc; This is the question, the form for Guest Certification For Authorized US Travel to Cuba that is in the original paperwork to be filled out prior to boarding. The MSC host at the desk took our form and told us, we filled in out wrong. We chose  under #3. Support for the Cuban People. We had private tours booked with Blexie (we really enjoyed both tours, on each day). She literally ripped one of our sheets in half and I took the others from her to prevent her from doing the same to all three (three in our group). She then had us fill out new ones and mark #1  MSC cruises People to People Program.  I really don't know what went on or what the problem was. Her explanation did not make sense, but we had no issues getting visas or getting off the ship in Cuba. Only wondering if anyone else had to pick #1 MSC  People to People when you had a private tour booked. The lady's name badge only said Host, no name to go by.  We had read all the previous post on CC prior to our trip and Beamafar had done an excellent job of posting information and answering questions, but we have looked since our trip and haven't read anyone posting anything similar to this situation. ?? 

That was wrong of the person who did that to you. We chose support for the Cuban people. When we docked in Cuba an announcement was made giving people who were walking off the ship to go, before they started allowing people who had tours to disembark. Our Visa forms was left in our room, we were a party of 3 also. 

We had no problems whatsoever once we disembarked. We went through immigration then customs, had nothing taken away from us, we were issued a 30 days visa and was welcomed by the people of Cuba. I just don't understand why that happened to you, if I were you I would've asked questions and find out the person's name. Hope you had a good time otherwise. We had a very good time, we rode around in the classic cars and had automatic Cuban food. 

On 3/26/2019 at 6:58 PM, cftgyhujik said:

You'll have no problems getting your visa forms on the ship. They'll leave it in your room on the bed with the next days ship itinerary the night before docking in Havana. All you'll have to do is fill it out. Just make sure you don't make any mistakes when filling it out because if you have to request another form "if you're  an American" you'll be charged another $75. Its easy to fill out, you put your date of birth then the month and the year. And you sign.  Enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by Purpleflower6

The night the visas were supposed to be delivered, I did not see my stateroom host. The next morning she knocked on my door and provided mine. I did have to sign off that I received it. Had I not been in my room at that time, I do not know if she would have tried again, or just left them. I think it really depends on your host. This was a few days before Cuba, so she had plenty of other opportunities to find me. Even at the port discussion, they said you do not have to be in your room. 

I would not worry about obtaining one ahead of time, and just go with the visas from the ship. They start distributing them a few days before the arrival in Cuba which gives enough time for you to received and fill them out.

As for the form at the beginning, while I did not have an MSC excursion booked, but I still just marked People to People. At check in, the agent just looked to ensure that I filled out all required information, collected the form and sent me on my way.