Dress code question QM2

gbphipps

We are experienced cruisers but have booked our first Cunard cruise for the crossing May 31 Southampton to NYC.  My husband has a cream colored silk suit.  Would this suit be appropriate for a gala night with proper shirt and tie?  Thank you for your assistance as we are considering our packing options.

Gala nights used to be called "formal" nights, even although formal means white tie and tails, but in other quarters, it's still called "black tie". That's because men are supposed to wear a black tie and dinner suit/tuxedo.

Note; not a red, blue, spotted or flashing tie, just a black one!

Cummerbunds are optional these days, but should be black to match the tie.

Stewart

• Like 1

Hi AG23

It's really up to the individual. I tend to lean towards convention rather than push the boundaries.

Have you ever seen James Bond in anything but a black bow tie?...and a real one, not a pre-tied one.

You do see some strange sights, like ladies wearing hats for dinner, which is really very bad manners, but not as bad as some men turning up in hats and scarves for some unknown reason, or ladies with fur stoles in the middle of summer.

Stewart

• Like 3

Any color tie is just fine. A tux is a tux is a tux. The tie and pocket square and perhaps cummerbund can be any color you wish and nobody will be upset. My husband has a variety of different colors and prints to accent my outfits. Always looks wonderful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not the fashion police, but according to Cunard's guidelines attire for gala nights is a tuxedo or a dark suit. 

Although with the new website they seem to just show photos rather than trying to define what the standard is... 

My husband has a cream linen suit that he plans to wear on a casual night on the QV in July. Since it will probably be warm, I am sure it will be fine. He has a really nice black silk shirt that looks great with it! The cream silk suit sounds great! Try it with a dark shirt. I love that look.

• Like 1

It has been my experience that on formal nights, one sees gentlemen in Black tuxedos, as well as cream or white dinner jackets in the Queen's room prior to dinner. Obviously they have not been turned away. There are a wide variety of colored bow ties, and cummerbunds as well. I make it a point to wear my tartan trousers, with matching tie and cummerbund on at least one formal night.

• Like 1