Another Option instead of Purchasing Beverage Packages

cruzin4us

7 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Maybe not....I use my debit card to purchase some OBC every payday.   I don't charge any of my OBC to my cc as that defeats the purpose 😀

We have been doing the same thing.  It's been very helpful:)

14 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Maybe not....I use my debit card to purchase some OBC every payday.   I don't charge any of my OBC to my cc as that defeats the purpose 😀

Why would it defeat the purpose if you pay off the cc when the bill arrives?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why must some people constantly push their way of doing things. The pennies of interest we would get by holding the money in a savings account don't amount to enough for a small soda.

Those of us who choose to buy OBC ahead and walk off the ship with no bill or a refund understand how we work. We don't need to justify or explain it to you. You have your way that works for you. Our way works for us.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 9

34 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Why must some people constantly push their way of doing things. The pennies of interest we would get by holding the money in a savings account don't amount to enough for a small soda.

Those of us who choose to buy OBC ahead and walk off the ship with no bill or a refund understand how we work. We don't need to justify or explain it to you. You have your way that works for you. Our way works for us.

My question had nothing to do with pre-purchasing OBC which I'm all in favor of.  My question was: Why does it make a difference to use a debit card or a credit card (assuming you pay the balance when due)?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My question had nothing to do with pre-purchasing OBC which I'm all in favor of.  My question was: Why does it make a difference to use a debit card or a credit card (assuming you pay the balance when due)?

Sorry, on too many of these threads some posters push credit card use and in effect put down those who chose to do otherwise.

As far as use of a credit card vs debit card, unfortunately for some the balance on a credit card is something that can be put off if necessary. When a debit card is used, the money is gone. In effect it is like the different between cash and accrual accounting.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Sorry, on too many of these threads some posters push credit card use and in effect put down those who chose to do otherwise.

As far as use of a credit card vs debit card, unfortunately for some the balance on a credit card is something that can be put off if necessary. When a debit card is used, the money is gone. In effect it is like the different between cash and accrual accounting.

Dave Ramsey is a big fan of debit cards for just that reason.   

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, drowelf said:

I live on the Ice-Tea on the ship. I have a few 32oz Gatorade bottles with the sports tops that I bring along. I'll fill them up and put some away in the mini-fridge for the evening in the cabin. Otherwise I'm always dragging one around and sipping out of it all day. Even have some small collapsible funnels that I carry around to make filling them easier from either a pitcher or glasses.  

Forgive me as we booked our first cruise and I've done nothing be read the "I wish I knew" and this beverage thread the past two days.  I've seen a couple people mention they keep purchased water bottles to refill.  I love iced tea.  Where do you refill you Gatorade bottle?  Also I saw someone post they bring cases of water when stopping at port.  Can you do that?

I'm going to keep reading through the "I wish I knew" thread, but I'm on page 8 of 113 and have been making notes of suggestions I feel are good ones!

Thanks in advance

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I guess in a nutshell for me it's this:   I scrimp and save to go on a cruise, I don't have the luxury of just paying off a credit card.   Some people are more fortunate than we are and have the finances to do this.....but we don't.  Avoiding using credit cards is basic 101 when you have limited income.    

• Like 1

Just now, cruzin4us said:

I guess in a nutshell for me it's this:   I scrimp and save to go on a cruise, I don't have the luxury of just paying off a credit card.   Some people are more fortunate than we are and have the finances to do this.....but we don't.  Avoiding using credit cards is basic 101 when you have limited income.    

If you have the cash to use a debit card, then you have the cash to pay off the same bill on a credit card.

• Like 1

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

If you have the cash to use a debit card, then you have the cash to pay off the same bill on a credit card.

You asked me why, and I told you.   I don't need you to help me run my finances, thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kantonburg said:

Forgive me as we booked our first cruise and I've done nothing be read the "I wish I knew" and this beverage thread the past two days.  I've seen a couple people mention they keep purchased water bottles to refill.  I love iced tea.  Where do you refill you Gatorade bottle?  Also I saw someone post they bring cases of water when stopping at port.  Can you do that?

I'm going to keep reading through the "I wish I knew" thread, but I'm on page 8 of 113 and have been making notes of suggestions I feel are good ones!

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Sorry I missed your question, but I got on a tangent about credit cards/debit cards.  

My suggestion is to get one of those insulated sipper cups, the kind that don't sweat.   Kind of like a Yeti or similar.   You can refill your cup/thermos/sipper cup in the Lido Buffet area.   Some people bring a small funnel so there is no contact with the dispenser.

You can carry on water bottles on Holland America (not all cruise lines allow this).   Do not check them in your luggage.  We bring a whole case with us.   It's only a small inconvenience at the port.   You can also purchase more water off the ship in port and bring it back on in smaller quantities for convenience.

4 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Hi,

Sorry I missed your question, but I got on a tangent about credit cards/debit cards.  

My suggestion is to get one of those insulated sipper cups, the kind that don't sweat.   Kind of like a Yeti or similar.   You can refill your cup/thermos/sipper cup in the Lido Buffet area.   Some people bring a small funnel so there is no contact with the dispenser.

Thanks for the info.  Do you mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/RTIC-191-Insulated-Tumbler-Stainless/dp/B07572PCPG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3S3SLN0TC8UTS&keywords=rtic+30+oz+tumbler&qid=1554000296&s=gateway&sprefix=rtic+%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-3

Edited by kantonburg

On 3/29/2019 at 1:14 PM, cruzin4us said:

Debit card..... You realize  that when you use it  the merchant/  who ever, puts a lock on your account... not even you can get it for weeks maybe a  month.    Even worse, your not earning FF miles or Hotel points  or even cash back.     That money, charged on a CC will come as a bill maybe 25-40 days after the cruise... and getting an interest free loan from the bank.  Pay that if you will, with a debit card. or cash.   

So yes your using a debit card wont  theoretically cost you interest...  BUT  it will cost you a min of 1.5% to 3% cash back from the card.   Or saved to a FF mile account... it can result in paying $5.60 to fly from the USA in business class to Europe, Australia, Asia.  a 6000 to 12,000 ticket   for $5.60     

My rule is never spend 1$ that you dont get back $1/25 or more.        You would be 

On 3/30/2019 at 6:57 AM, RocketMan275 said:

Dave Ramsey is a big fan of debit cards for just that reason.   

Yes...if your living with a restricted income... and have little or no self control then Dave Ramsey is right    But one can ask the question  id you struggling financially and can not control you spending should you be taking a vacation at all till things get stable or better?      A cruise is a luxury not a necessity.   Id like a personal airplane...I however can not afford a  airplane  so I will have to wait.

Banks created Debit cards for their profit.  Debit cards offer no tangible benefit to the user except the BANK. 

Debit cards save the banks $$$ because there is no float of 30+ days on a check.   They grab your money in micro seconds in real time anywhere in the world..  And they can use your funds that they lock as leverage for them to loan money  and make a profit  on your money.     In essence, the banks figured out how to make you pay them  for you to you to  use your money !!!      Is that a good deal?        If so I have some magic beans I would like to sell you and a bridge in Brooklyn NY !!! 

BUT,  using a debit card you need to know there is a  scary price.... A merchant, cruise, Hotel, etc  can put a account hold or lock on YOUR money...  Rental car folks may lock up $1000 for a day rental.   Same with hotels.    These locks take time to get released  maybe weeks or months.  The bank has you funds, is using your funds and preventing you from getting them till THEY see fit.      NO JOKE 

250px-Snowwhite-creencaps.com-8944.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Debit card..... You realize  that when you use it  the merchant/  who ever, puts a lock on your account... not even you can get it for weeks maybe a  month.    Even worse, your not earning FF miles or Hotel points  or even cash back.     That money, charged on a CC will come as a bill maybe 25-40 days after the cruise... and getting an interest free loan from the bank.  Pay that if you will, with a debit card. or cash.   

So yes your using a debit card wont  theoretically cost you interest...  BUT  it will cost you a min of 1.5% to 3% cash back from the card.   Or saved to a FF mile account... it can result in paying $5.60 to fly from the USA in business class to Europe, Australia, Asia.  a 6000 to 12,000 ticket   for $5.60     

My rule is never spend 1$ that you dont get back $1/25 or more.        You would be 

When you use a debit card to buy OBC there is no hold put on the account, but you are right you don't get the float time. However, the interest you would get for that float time isn't worth talking about. In addition, debit cards exist that do give cash back so you are not losing there.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

When you use a debit card to buy OBC there is no hold put on the account, but you are right you don't get the float time. However, the interest you would get for that float time isn't worth talking about. In addition, debit cards exist that do give cash back so you are not losing there.

BUT....HUGE but  it you get nothing in return except for the bank holding you money.   NO ff miles  No hotel points, no car rental, no nothing.      I use CC  pay off the balance  monthly...  some times it takes 45 days to get posted and I dont pay till 28 days later as well.      I use my credit card for everything over $1 and without spending anything more than what I normal do food, gas, bills  I get points.  In my case hotel and Airline that allow me to fly pretty much  free and  get  free hotel rooms, meals etc every year.    I have  not had to buy a airline ticket in 10 years by saving and focusing on how I spend.

Thats where Debit cards  are a looser to me  I get nothing but my own money back...    except for getting foreign currency in a foreign country  I never use a Debit

But thats me   I want more from  the money I worked hard for....I am not giving it away.

On 3/28/2019 at 10:14 AM, kazu said:

It’s really paid off for me a few times.  At the very least, I’m dollar cost averaging my risk 😉 

Currency speculation  is a commodity that is not for the faint of heart....  I do agree Canada, Australia and New Zealand  may be more favorable a risk.    Doing currency futures is very risky in my experience    

On 3/30/2019 at 4:33 AM, richwmn said:

I think that those of us who have figured out how to profit from a CC are only trying to make others aware that for the same money they spend you could  and zero charge get all sorts of benefits..FF miles Hotels, Cars, cash back  all sorts of  financial worth while tangible benefits.     What would you say if  you were offered free business or first class tickets for anywhere in the world  every year shopping at the grocery, getting gas, paying the phone,insurance,

All without spending  one thin dime that your not already  normally spending?         Just so everyone  knows  they have options and what each option can do or not do that they may not be fully aware of.. 

Thats all...  Your choice what path you choose and what you gain or loose by that choice. 

3 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

I think that those of us who have figured out how to profit from a CC are only trying to make others aware that for the same money they spend you could  and zero charge get all sorts of benefits..FF miles Hotels, Cars, cash back  all sorts of  financial worth while tangible benefits.   

Which credit card do you find most valuable for travel?

34 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Which credit card do you find most valuable for travel?

Chase Marriott business  pays 6 -4 points per $     Marriott Personal  Pay 2 to 4$  you get $500 worth of hotel stays  free just for having the card..  Points never expire

UAL explorer exec card   pay 1-2

All...all monthly expenses get payed with a Marriott Business card    Those points can be used as UAL or Marriott.

Whe traveli  I only fly UAL  star alliance Lufthansa singapore, swiss, austrian,ANA  etc)

Hotels  only Marriott family ( 6800)  from fairfield to ritz carlton..

Focus

90% of all points are from normal daily living  and saving for  2 to 3 years before you get the urge to start spending. Ii is very easy to soon have  not thousands but hundreds of thousands of ff/Hotel points that never expire. !!!

Everyone I have gotten in to the way of doing it has been stunned.. amazed  that they wasted so much before they figgured it out.       You have to start some where.... you can only  gain going forward   You do not charge stuff you  can not affored to pay off after 30 days.  You budget and wait for big ticket items.   But you do not spend one nickel you dont get extra value from.

As an example    I have gotten over $18,500'.  free air fare and $3200.00 in free hotel stay  in the past 14 months..... and this year....I expect about the same.....  How about you

Edited by Hawaiidan

51 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Currency speculation  is a commodity that is not for the faint of heart....  I do agree Canada, Australia and New Zealand  may be more favorable a risk.    Doing currency futures is very risky in my experience    

Dollar cost averaging is an accepted investment strategy - and a good one.  Finance 101.  It is not currency speculation.  

I watch enough to know when the exchange rate is on a good trend and I make a small purchase.  No big deal.  Beats being subject to where the rate is on x date when my bill is due and having no control.  

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Dollar cost averaging is an accepted investment strategy - and a good one.  Finance 101.  It is not currency speculation.  

I watch enough to know when the exchange rate is on a good trend and I make a small purchase.  No big deal.  Beats being subject to where the rate is on x date when my bill is due and having no control.  

I feel for you  folks in Canada and Oz   Dollar cost averaging is mitigating but still playing in trying to guess the market.  It can cut down the loss by  fluctuation you hope will happen.    Good luck