Balcony Guarantee?

reno3

Thinking of booking the Magic for December 7th and the only balcony cabins left are guarantee (holding one for me). I have always picked my balcony cabin

so I'm a little leery about booking the guarantee. Please let me know your experiences with booking a guarantee balcony. Thank you in advance.

You will get a balcony cabin....may be the best cabin in that category.....might be the worst.  It is luck of the draw an you can find people who will share experiences on both ends of the spectrum.

Edited by ray98

You may even get an upgrade to a suite. Usually guarantees are assigned the same category or higher. If you need to be in a certain location due to mobility issues, then don't go with a guarantee. In order to get a really cheap rate for a Neptune Suite on a Feb. Holland America cruise we had to do a guarantee. I do have some mobility issues and when I booked the cruise the agent sent a note to the Inventory Dept. and I also contacted the Special Needs Dept. requesting a NS near fwd or mid elevators. Received the cabin assignment a few days before sailing and our NS was at the absolute aft of the ship and smaller than the usual NS. I was told to fax my request for a different assignment, but it wasn't changed. That location definitely impacted my enjoyment of the cruise. I later found out from my PVP that those who pay full price for the NS get the priority locations. Won't make that mistake again!

The only time I ever booked a Guarantee cabin was a Balcony Guarantee when I booked a little late and it was the only Balcony type available, just like your situation (but on Carnival Pride, many years ago).  I got a call from the  Upsell Fairy with an offer for an Ocean Suite a few weeks before sailing, while I was still waiting to find out my Balcony cabin assignment.  After OKing it with DH (while Upsell Fairy kindly waited on hold for me), I took the offer.:classic_biggrin:

So my experience was:

• First and only "Spontaneous / Last Minute" cruise
  • First and only Guarantee booking
  • First (but not only) call from the Upsell Fairy
  • First (but not only) Suite

:classic_biggrin:

I wish you similar luck!

Thank you. I have to decide tomorrow to either take it or not. Unfortunately this is all that is available on this sailing (and inside cabins). I can't believe they are almost sold out this far out! I usually book a year out. We don't have mobility issues so that is not a problem.

Edited by reno3

All you can do is look at deck and and decide if the worst placed balcony is fine for you. For me, that would be one under the pool deck or fitness center. Guaranteed to have noise above you early in the morning and late at (for pool deck). If you there’s no other choice and it’s the difference between cruising or not, just depends on how noise sensitive you are. If a bad location is going to ruin your trip, not worth it. If you can roll with it then book it.

I've booked interior guarantees twice now as they were the lowest priced. One turned into a very nice odd shaped interior cabin that we loved. The other turned into a balcony room at the interior price. So far we are 2 for 2 on booking "guaranteed" rooms. 

Thank you everyone. I had to pass because my boss said it was too far out to commit to giving me the week off! He said I could book if I wanted but I may not get the week!  I'm not willing to lose $500.00 on a maybe! I usually book and don't tell him until I have to and it works out but I have never had to put a $500.00 deposit down (non refundable)! Maybe I will visit this cruise again when it gets closer.

Edited by reno3