Creating a share-able roll call activity spreadsheet?

kaymoz

I'd like to create a spreadsheet to share with others on our roll call for the day-by-day activities, so we can list the various activities/tours at port locations and people can fill in their own names for the ones they sign up for and see who else is doing the same tour.  I love spreadsheets so don't mind setting this up but don't want to spend time entering others' info, maintaining it, etc.  I am not sure of the best way to "put it out there" so others can add their info safely.....please advise!!

Seems like there should be a way to have a version open for people to add and save sequentially by date, so if it goes off track we could just go back to the last version before the "contamination" occurred?

A great solution would be to use Google Drive. You could set it to that only those who the document has been "shared" with can edit it - this would involve either inputting their email address or the person requesting access by clicking on a button upon receiving the link for the document. However, I think the better option for you since you said you didn't want to maintain it is to allow anyone with the link to edit the document. This provides less security but is less effort on your part. You can also go back to see prior versions to check edit history to restore any edits before such contamination occurred and can see who made what changes. 

• 4 months later...

I have a google drive doc spreadsheet for Meet & Mingle Ive organised that I want to share on our roll call thread. I cant seem to find how I can share this other than by emails. Mammoth task as 84 attending so far and not my ideal option as I would have to keep re emailing as spread sheet is updated.

Can anyone advise how to share onto the thread?

Thanks,

Sarah

With Google docs you can open it to anyone with a link that is given to you. If you try to restrict it by member I believe that they all must have a Google ID and sign in. See mine with the link below. I used a doc rather than a sheet.

Edited by denmarks

On 3/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, kaymoz said:

I'd like to create a spreadsheet to share with others on our roll call for the day-by-day activities, so we can list the various activities/tours at port locations and people can fill in their own names for the ones they sign up for and see who else is doing the same tour.  I love spreadsheets so don't mind setting this up but don't want to spend time entering others' info, maintaining it, etc.  I am not sure of the best way to "put it out there" so others can add their info safely.....please advise!!

Use Google Sheets and share the link.

Google Docs, with an excel spreadsheet.

We didn't bother to protect it from outsiders, but did stick to:

* first names only

* ages in ranges (kid, teen, young adult, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, seniors)

* city or state, but not full address or phone numbers

* split email address into two fields:   Sue Do-Over / gmail.com hoping to keep spam-bots from finding usable emails.

Had one page for names and basic info, used another for the tour groups going. 

* Host/ coordinator

* Vendor (i.e. RomeinLimo) and website, name or number for reservation

* Meeting time/place

* Price per seat/person

* Payment in cash/to driver, paid on website, etc.

* Description or limitations:  No shopping, lots of walking, lunch-on-the-go, no Winery, OK for kids, etc.

We used it heavily on a 12-day Med tour with 9 port stops.  A total of 20 or so tours were organized.  We hosted some, and joined others, and sometimes split up our own family based on interest or mobility.

During the Meet & Greet, it was universally agreed that anyone late to the meeting point/van during a tour would put $5 in the kitty for the guide's tip. It wouldn't be forced, but would serve as a little 'incentive'.  It made for some laughs... one guy came running up waving his $5 shouting "I'm SO SORRY!  Handed it to the driver, bowed, and sat down with great fanfare and applause.  Funny how as little as $5 can encourage good behavior.

• 1 month later...