Bring ship food ashore?

erdoran

12 hours ago, brookie848 said:

I always bring some snacks from home (pre-packaged) with me since I'm a Type I diabetic.

I know it's not allowed, but on our last cruise, we brought leftover La Cucina pizza with us to Jost Van Dyke. We had the early excursion and it was good for a mid-morning snack to go with the Pain Killers. Another couple had sandwiches from the buffet that they brought with them. Later, we all ate at one of the local restaurants, but we had things from the ship just in case.

It can be done, even though it's not allowed. As others have mentioned, some ports are more strict than others. You may want to check on the ports boards to see if others have had issues.

AGREED just never produce as the initial post stated. Produce can carry organisms that are not good for certain areas and they can be sniffed out if the port is being patrolled with dogs. ..and never feed the animals.

Edited by Cruise4Twos
added information at the end

I bring little sealed  packages of peanut butter (Jif to go) and crackers from home.

Also Aldi sells sealed small containers of tuna/chicken salad with included crackers  that are handy.

This is for emergencies only as we always try to eat local when we get off the ship.

Have never been stopped but this was in the Caribbean not Europe.

15 hours ago, OBSESSIVEWORLDTRAVELER said:

Factory sealed items in general are allowed off. Nothing from the cruise ship buffets are allowed off. Please be careful as some ports have Customs Dogs that will sniff people at the port checking for food. I experienced that on my Western Caribbean cruise.

Yes, I have also experienced that - twice actually, both times on Caribbean cruises. The dog was sniffing everyone before they were allowed to continue down the pier, and was in particular looking for food of any kind (at least that is what the dog handler told me when I asked).

17 hours ago, brookie848 said:

I always bring some snacks from home (pre-packaged) with me since I'm a Type I diabetic.

I know it's not allowed, but on our last cruise, we brought leftover La Cucina pizza with us to Jost Van Dyke. We had the early excursion and it was good for a mid-morning snack to go with the Pain Killers. Another couple had sandwiches from the buffet that they brought with them. Later, we all ate at one of the local restaurants, but we had things from the ship just in case.

It can be done, even though it's not allowed. As others have mentioned, some ports are more strict than others. You may want to check on the ports boards to see if others have had issues.

you mean that laws and rules does not apply to you?

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 9:57 PM, brookie848 said:

As an FYI, it is not an issue on Jost. We often have ship made picnics on White Bay, and all of the luxury lines use that area as a beach break and provide full meals ashore. The meals are brought from the ship to shore.

Edited by zqvol