posting photos

cbb

can someone please list/describe how to post photos to ccritic? 

These would be pictures from a DSLR camera--not a phone.  Pretend you are teaching your ancient grandmother....little words, concise points!  

Thanks!!!   (i'm clearly doing something wrong so thought i would try the experts!!!)  And yes, I did a search before posting....  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cbb said:

can someone please list/describe how to post photos to ccritic?   These would be pictures from a DSLR camera--not a phone.  Pretend you are teaching your ancient grandmother....little words, concise points!  Thanks!!!   (i'm clearly doing something wrong so thought i would try the experts!!!)  And yes, I did a search before posting....  

Appreciate your good questions and info needs.  From your picture, it does not appear that you are an "ancient grandmother"!!??   Are my eye fibbing to me?  The quick response is that doing such posting is fairly easy, but the second part of the honest response is that, also, "IT DEPENDS!"

Am I understanding/guessing correctly that you move your pictures from your DSLR to a laptop computer and that is where your visuals are kept?  What type of laptop?  What file size of pictures/files are you doing?  That file size, if large, might, maybe, impact the speed and easy of moving your pictures from a laptop to  enter the Cruise Critic process.  

What process do I use?  Yes, I am guilty to having littered up these Cruise Critic boards with thousands of different pictures.  For me, I shoot pictures in raw (24mp) with my Nikon D7200 and then transfer all of the pictures via a SD card to my MacBook Book laptop.  There, on my laptop, I do editing, cropping, picking out the "best of the best" pictures, etc.  But to post on the CC boards, you do NOT need to do such editing and picture fine-tuning.

Next, in order to keep the picture file size more manageable and easier to send through a cruise ship's Internet system and/or to upload quicker/simpler to Cruise Critic, I "EXPORT"  that smaller group of pictures that I want to post on these CC Boards to a file on my laptop.  You do not always have to "export" and down-size these selected visuals, but for me it helps speed the process and insure quicker processing.  Then from this file, I just "drag" that smaller-sized picture to the posting space within the CC Board space.  

Is this helping?  What added questions do you have?  Happy to share more after getting your feed-back and any other info/responses from you.  Don't be shy!!  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For my latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East while sailing on the Oceania Nautica.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

I  am not an expert but this is what I do 

I have a Smugmug  account  I upload  my photos  there

Then  just copy paste  from there  to here

There is probably an easier way   but  it works  for me  😉

image.png.d690ed0d83c52a01482c7a4437184929.png

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I  am not an expert but this is what I do 

I have a Smugmug  account  I upload  my photos  there

Then  just copy paste  from there  to here

There is probably an easier way   but  it works  for me

Great, cute picture shared from LHT28!!  Fun!!  Until the recent Cruise Critic change/tech updating, I also need to use an outside, uploading website.  In my case, I used PhotoBucket.  BUT, now we do not need to use such an outside website.  It is so much easier, now with CC, to just "drag over" these visuals from your laptop.  But, as mentioned, if your visual has too large of a file size, things get slower and/or more limited in the number of pictures you can post to CC each time.  Look forward to hearing more from the original poster.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,555 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

1 hour ago, cbb said:

can someone please list/describe how to post photos to ccritic? 

These would be pictures from a DSLR camera--not a phone.  Pretend you are teaching your ancient grandmother....little words, concise points!  

Thanks!!!   (i'm clearly doing something wrong so thought i would try the experts!!!)  And yes, I did a search before posting....  

In order for photos to be posted to Cruise Critic, they must first be "put onto the internet" on a site where their location will receive a "URL". 

I use Dropshots for this purpose which I started with because it is free  but there are hundreds of Sites which you might use for this purpose.

Once your photo has a URL assigned:

1) On the site where your photo is stored, left click with  your cursor hovered  over the photo.  This will bring up a drop down menu where you will click on "copy image address:

2)  Here on Cruise Critic, click on the Blue Box at the bottom of every "Create a Post" Window which says "Insert other Media"  

3) Choose the Option "Insert Image from Url"

4) Paste URL into the box which appears

5) Gasp at the glory of your newly inserted photo

223859.jpg

Edited by StanandJim

y'all are so wonderful!   Thank you so much.  And clearly stanandjim are used to dealing with an ancient grandmother!!

and if this works.....i will gasp on behalf of all y'all!!! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate your good questions and info needs.  From your picture, it does not appear that you are an "ancient grandmother"!!??   Are my eye fibbing to me?  The quick response is that doing such posting is fairly easy, but the second part of the honest response is that, also, "IT DEPENDS!"

Am I understanding/guessing correctly that you move your pictures from your DSLR to a laptop computer and that is where your visuals are kept?  What type of laptop?  What file size of pictures/files are you doing?  That file size, if large, might, maybe, impact the speed and easy of moving your pictures from a laptop to  enter the Cruise Critic process.  

What process do I use?  Yes, I am guilty to having littered up these Cruise Critic boards with thousands of different pictures.  For me, I shoot pictures in raw (24mp) with my Nikon D7200 and then transfer all of the pictures via a SD card to my MacBook Book laptop.  There, on my laptop, I do editing, cropping, picking out the "best of the best" pictures, etc.  But to post on the CC boards, you do NOT need to do such editing and picture fine-tuning.

Next, in order to keep the picture file size more manageable and easier to send through a cruise ship's Internet system and/or to upload quicker/simpler to Cruise Critic, I "EXPORT"  that smaller group of pictures that I want to post on these CC Boards to a file on my laptop.  You do not always have to "export" and down-size these selected visuals, but for me it helps speed the process and insure quicker processing.  Then from this file, I just "drag" that smaller-sized picture to the posting space within the CC Board space.  

Is this helping?  What added questions do you have?  Happy to share more after getting your feed-back and any other info/responses from you.  Don't be shy!!  

For my latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East while sailing on the Oceania Nautica.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Wow, what great pictures.  Just went thru about 20 pages of your pictures and loved them all.  Brought back many wonderful memories.   Will need to keep following your blogs.  Thanks.    

I hope it's not been missed that you no longer need a hosting site as a couple of people mentioned. You can do it, but you don't have to. Kind of hard to tell which one is the real troll. DSC06076.thumb.JPG.d307ca599f642848e87424285d1eec67.JPG

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, ORV said:

I hope it's not been missed that you no longer need a hosting site as a couple of people mentioned. You can do it, but you don't have to. Kind of hard to tell which one is the real troll. 

Agree above with ORV, plus LHT28, that with the new Cruise Critic web set-up, you no longer  are required to be using such an outside "hosting" service.  Still can do it that way, but it's not a requirement. 

As to Waynetor's good question of "When people refer to file size be too large and slowing down transfers, what size is too large?  My photos tend to be 3 to 4.5MB.  If too large what can be done?", here is more background details.  Previously you could only post on these CC boards, six graphics total as their allow maximum.  Now it is based, as noted in the small print a "Max file six 511MB".  If you try to post too many visuals at too large of a file size on a single posting, it BOTH . . . takes longer to upload . . . and/or . . . potentially could bump up against that maximum capacity for each individual posting.  It took CC some time to transition to this new set-up, but during our most recent cruise in the Middle East, things worked fairly well for including visuals with your posts.  

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling for "down under” wonders. Exciting visuals with key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 219,607 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139