Miami Memorial weekend what to do

andymattmom

We cruise out on May 26- we are staying at the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell. We arrive at 10AM on the 25th. We are traveling with our 22 and 23 year old sons. Budget ideas besides the beach — hubby and I did the Hop on/off bus tour in November. 

By budget I’m talking cheaper the better! 

Thank you 

2 years ago we were in Miami on Memorial Day weekend. Our Airbnb was in South Beach next to Lincoln Road Mall. There was an air show that weekend which was really fun. We ate dinner on the beach and watched them practice all weekend long. I think the actual air show was on Monday. You may check into that and see if it's going on. 

• Thanks 1

You don't want to be anywhere near South Beach that weekend.  It's Urban Beach Weekend which ends up being ratchet as hell.  Most Miamians I know get out of town.

Vizcaya is a lot of fun.  I would hit the beach on Key Biscayne.  Bill Baggs is a great beach.

• Thanks 1

Agreed with BlueHerons. South Beach is the last place you want to be memorial day weekend. I used to work there, it's a disaster, locals all stay inside or leave town, lots of businesses close, etc. 

Just look at the disaster spring break has been this year for Miami Beach. Memorial Day is usually worse. 

You can still do the beach but you may want to come more north like Hollywood.

It's not too late to change your accommodations. That or just avoid South Beach and enjoy Brickell. 

• Thanks 1

As BlueHerons said, this is SO not the weekend to be over on South Beach.  Any friends I have leave for the weekend. The arrests were down last year but there were still a lot.  Not a family place nor a place to bring kids for the weekend. I won't go near it.

If you are flying into Miami and cruising from Miami, I wouldn't leave the area. There is no need.  Biscayne had great public parks and beaches and are close by.  You can rent kayaks, go to a park, head to the beach and relax if you change your mind and want a beach.

It's too far out to know about special events going on yet that weekend that would be good for the family.

You said you are looking for budget ideas besides the beach.  

-Bayside is close to Brickell and will have a lot going on that weekend. Boat tours and various things leave from here.  It's also great for walking around which is of course free.

-Bayfront Park will have a large memorial day concert and lots of families there.  It's free to be here.

-There is a Marlins games and those tickets are cheap.  It's a fantastic stadium with a closable roof & air conditioning.  

-The PAMM museum has a large bbq with things going on.

This is a great website if you are looking for economical things to do in Miami.  As I said, as it gets closer to the holiday weekend there will be more events listed.

https://miamionthecheap.com

-

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andymattmom said:

Thanks everyone!

We are at Hampton Inn Brickell- actually got a good rate! No interest in Sourh Beach . Knew it would be crazy but this was only time cruise dates worked for everyone! 

You will really enjoy the hotel and the Brickell area.  There will be plenty of things going on and Brickell won't be crazy packed.  Many of the locals here take advantage of the 3 day weekend and head away. Your kids will love the area.

• Thanks 1