Last minute Breakaway cruise, lots of NCL ?'s

We were scheduled to be on the Oasis 4/14 but due to the incident with the ship, which I think Royal handled the best they could, we luckily found the 4/14 Breakaway cruise available and have lots of questions. We did the Oasis last year and loved it, but we know this is a different type of ship and any kind of vacation is a good vacation!

-Any good tips for the Breakaway? I'm going to try to book shows/dining online now but it may be too late, can we get some reservations onboard

-Docs - do we need to print anything to get onboard, I checked us in online but can't check our daughter and her friend because they are both 18 and in the room beside us and I was told not to check them in because I have to sign a waiver for them to be next door, is that correct and if so, do they just not bring NCL documents

-We got the 3 night dining with our room, can we upgrade that to the 7-night ( we do the Ultimate dining plan on Royal)

-Messaging, we got some free wifi with our room - I saw there is an app, can we message each other on it?

-Port of Maimi - any suggestions for a good hotel close to the port ( we are coming in the night before) and is Uber the best way to and from the port?

- Our 18 year old and her friend are asking about other's there age, since it's our Spring Break, I assume there will be lots of teens their age

-Our daughter also read that at 18 I can sign a waiver for her to drink wine/beer is that true? She will be spending 3 wks out of the country this summer, so she's preparing for the 18 year old drinking age 😉

*Sorry for all the questions, I've spent the past 6 months researching our other cruise and now feel so unprepared. 

As far as upgrading the dining package, you can buy an additional package to cover the extra meals, but it will be separate from your promo package.

Yes, you can sign a drinking waiver for over 18, but I believe that only the actual parent must sign, so the friend likely wouldn't be able to participate.

Uber is fine to use to the port, just hope that you get a driver that speaks English... I've had poor luck with that in Miami, and once my driver got lost three times on the way to the ship. I actually had him pull over and walked the rest of the way.

You can message each other with the app, but each person will have to pay a small fee for the duration of the cruise. I believe it's between $10 and $15 each.

We've sailed the Breakaway twice and loved it.  I can't answer all of your questions as our twins were 3 and then 4 when we sailed so we didn't do a lot of the nightlife.  We husband and I loved the Waterfront, which is on deck 8, it's the outside dining area for the specialty restaurants, but during the day you can sit, read and relax there.  The pool, and sun decks surrounding it, get very, very, very crowded.  Spice H2O, the adults only pool, was pretty quiet and not crazy crowded.  We printed out our eDocs and brought them with us just in case.  My BIL and I used the old version of NCLs iCruise app to message each other.  It worked fine, I just wish it had a better notification system.  I haven't used the new one yet so I can't help there. We ate at Ocean Blu, Cagney's and the Noodle bar.  I really liked Ocean Blu and the Noodle bar, Cagney's was okay, I'm not a huge steak lover but my husband was happy.  The Spa was FABULOUS!  Just be prepared for them to try and upsell you on things, I told my therapist from the start that I was not interested in anything beyond the treatment I signed up for and they were respectful of that.  The ropes course was a lot of fun!!  Just make sure you bring closed toe shoes with you, they won't let on it with flip-flops (thankfully my sister switched shoes with me so I didn't have to go back down to the room). Hope this helps!

I'll try to answer what I can:

-Any good tips for the Breakaway? I'm going to try to book shows/dining online now but it may be too late, can we get some reservations onboard

I haven't been on the Breakaway, but i have been on a couple of the Breakaway Plus class ships (Escape and Bliss). My main tip is to check out the Waterfront. It is a great space with outdoor seating, shade, outdoor bars, and you can even eat out there when dining at some of the specialty restaurants on that deck.

-Docs - do we need to print anything to get onboard, I checked us in online but can't check our daughter and her friend because they are both 18 and in the room beside us and I was told not to check them in because I have to sign a waiver for them to be next door, is that correct and if so, do they just not bring NCL documents

I have no experience traveling with "minors" in their own room. By NCL rules, someone the age of 21 or above must be assigned to each room. I don't know what that means for you logistically. I would complete as much of the check-in online as possible to speed up your check-in at the pier. Print the eDocs you have as they will only determine which line you get in at check-in (the check to see if you are entitled to any priority boarding). Everything else will be done via computer at the check-in counter.

-We got the 3 night dining with our room, can we upgrade that to the 7-night ( we do the Ultimate dining plan on Royal)

Yes, you can pay for additional packages for additional nights. I don't think it's necessary to eat in the specialty restaurants every single night. The MDRs have some good options and O'sheehan's is also complimentary.

-Messaging, we got some free wifi with our room - I saw there is an app, can we message each other on it?

There is messaging available on the app WITHOUT using the wifi package. While on board, you can message other passengers by just paying about $10 per device. No wifi package needed.

-Port of Maimi - any suggestions for a good hotel close to the port ( we are coming in the night before) and is Uber the best way to and from the port?

Are you flying in? Any of the hotels near the airport will be fine. I like to book a hotel with a free airport shuttle. That way I only have to pay for transport from the hotel to the pier. I have used Uber both times I've sailed out of Miami so far.

- Our 18 year old and her friend are asking about other's there age, since it's our Spring Break, I assume there will be lots of teens their age

Can't help you with this one, I'm afraid.

-Our daughter also read that at 18 I can sign a waiver for her to drink wine/beer is that true? She will be spending 3 wks out of the country this summer, so she's preparing for the 18 year old drinking age 😉

Yes. A guardian can sign a waiver and she can drink only beer and wine. No liquor.

40 minutes ago, princesslondon said:

We were scheduled to be on the Oasis 4/14 but due to the incident with the ship, which I think Royal handled the best they could, we luckily found the 4/14 Breakaway cruise available and have lots of questions. We did the Oasis last year and loved it, but we know this is a different type of ship and any kind of vacation is a good vacation!

*Sorry for all the questions, I've spent the past 6 months researching our other cruise and now feel so unprepared. 

you can add the dining package for an additional cost, but you might want to eat at least a couple of times in the MDR. Just a suggestion, you can decide when you get on board.

Yes, there is a form you can use so your daughter can consume wine and beer

Where to stay: I would recommend the Holiday inn near the port and across from a real cool shopping center. Not far from that is a Hotel Continental which is popular. The Holiday inn is special but very convenient which we like. 

Yes, lots of teens but many might be younger than your daughter and her friend

You will have a great trip I am sure; the Breakaway is a great ship for kids and families 

Awesome information! This is why I love these boards so much. Thank you everyone for the advice.

One other question, does anyone know if I have to bring any sort of documentation to bring our daughters friend with us? On Royal we used to have to get a minor parent signed authorization but now that she's 18 they said we didn't need anything to bring her. 

As far as the two 18 year-olds, what might happen is that NCL will put one adult and one 18 year-old in each stateroom (on paper) but people can actually stay/sleep wherever they want. Perhaps, while getting the drink waiver filled out for the daughter, spare keycards can be requested to make it easier for each pair to sleep where they want.

I would not get hung up on a Miami hotel with a shuttle to the port.  95+ percent of the hotels don't have them.  You will exclude yourself from a wide range of choices of nice hotels if you insist on a shuttle.  Besides, a cab or uber is so much more convenient--they run on your schedule and you have them to yourselves.  From downtown, a cab or uber to the port is just a few dollars.  From the airport area, it is roughly $25. 

Hi! We are on the same cruise. Glad you were able to re-book your trip.

I have sailed on Breakaway once before and my main tip is to book shows and restaurants early. The thing about “freestyle” cruising is that if there are things you really want to do, you need to book them before cruising or the first day you are on the ship, unless you want to eat at 9:30 p.m. This has become even more of a problem since they started giving the 3-night dinner package to everyone as a free perk. 

Come on over to our roll call. A meet and greet and some other activities are being organized. 

• 2 weeks later...