NCL Dawn Review 3/24-3/31

Mrs.C05

Hi everyone! My husband and I just returned from an 8 day cruise out of San Juan on NCL Dawn. I hadn't heard this until the 2nd to last day, but that was her last sailing in San Juan before it was being moved. Not sure where she was being moved to though. It'll take me a little bit to get the review up and go through my pictures, however I do not have many pictures of around the boat, as we did not go to any shows, but we did go to 3 specialty restaurants and had the "3SD" and "PBP" marked on our card.

If anyone has any questions or wants to know anything feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

We're on the Dawn in a couple of weeks. Out of Miami to Harvest Caye and Costa Maya, Mexico.

It's been a couple of years since we cruised. We've been doing land based holidays. 

We've sailed Epic, Jade, Sky, Getaway and Escape....our last cruise, so looking forward to a smaller ship once again.

Look forward to hearing all about the Dawn. 

Have to wait until december to our first cruise on the Dawn. A couple of years ago wie sailed with NCL Jewel and I loved it. We prefer the smaller ships. But sad, that the Dawn hasn‘t got a great outdoors, was my favourite place on the Jewel.

Thank you for taking the time to write a trip report. I love cruising vicariously!

Your font style and color make this hard to read on the aging eye.  Not a complaint, just an observation. 

Edited by LinnieRed
  • Like 1

We (myself, wife and 2 DDs) will be on the Dawn in 12 days celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary.  😁 

This is our first cruise in 10 years and I am definitely excited!  It's a 4-day cruise from Miami to Costa Maya.  

Looking forward to reading your review. Also, suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Following along, please upload whatever pix you got for the "ship" - how are the interiors of the (yours) staterooms ?  Some feel that it's an old ship but it was rather big and refreshing then, we are still on the fence about this "teenager" as it's been a long time (2003 & 2005, yulp) - we still missed the old Blue Lagoon & its *23/6 hours menu, since relocated & renamed O'Sheehan's (Local, for newest ships).  

How was the crew & if you recall, and, the senior officers/captain, etc. ?  Thanks in advance. 

19 hours ago, Mrs.C05 said:

Hi everyone! My husband and I just returned from an 8 day cruise out of San Juan on NCL Dawn. I hadn't heard this until the 2nd to last day, but that was her last sailing in San Juan before it was being moved. Not sure where she was being moved to though. It'll take me a little bit to get the review up and go through my pictures, however I do not have many pictures of around the boat, as we did not go to any shows, but we did go to 3 specialty restaurants and had the "3SD" and "PBP" marked on our card.

If anyone has any questions or wants to know anything feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Favorite place for breakfast?  Lunch?  Dinner??

Favorite bar?

Favorite place to "just hang out and relax"?

If you had several extra days (who doesn't wish for their cruise to unexpectedly be extended), how would you have spent them??

OP - did you see the drunk guy on the stage with the dancers at the white hot party? He totally messed up their performance.  We were on the ship the week before as well and saw the dancers perform at the party.  To bad that guy screwed them up. Although, he was fun to make fun of. Lol

Edited by maja651

15 hours ago, Iworktocruiseandtravel said:

Favorite place for breakfast?  Lunch?  Dinner??

Favorite bar?

Favorite place to "just hang out and relax"?

If you had several extra days (who doesn't wish for their cruise to unexpectedly be extended), how would you have spent them??

We have cruised her  twice in the past year: favorite places:

breakfast: I have to say the MDR. I am not impressed with the Dawn buffet and O'Sheehan;s has a pretty limited menu

Dinner: Le Bistro still wins for us if we are talking specialty dining rooms. Otherwise either MDRs

Bar; for us it is Gatsbys first except it gets crowed and second, especially for people watching The atrium bar. 

Our last cruise was 10 day out of San Juan. It was very port intensive, 9 ports in 10 days. As we have been to all but one of the ports, we found it, actually a little to long. 

On 4/6/2019 at 7:15 AM, newmexicoNita said:

Our last cruise was 10 day out of San Juan. It was very port intensive, 9 ports in 10 days. As we have been to all but one of the ports, we found it, actually a little to long. 

Little long why?   Because you’ve been to ports previously??   Thanks for your input on other questions 😊😊.  I’m on this ship for 14 days in October... hope I don’t get bored 😱

4 minutes ago, Iworktocruiseandtravel said:

Little long why?   Because you’ve been to ports previously??   Thanks for your input on other questions 😊😊.  I’m on this ship for 14 days in October... hope I don’t get bored 😱

Exactly: we have been on other 10-12 day cruises and had a great time. We did have a nice time but we have been to Aruba maybe 6 times St Thomas more than that and the same with Barbados and a couple of the other ports. So, we either got off the ship, walked around for awhile and got back on or didn't get off at all. We did do a couple of neat tours and one downer. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:18 AM, MDcruzin_24601 said:

We (myself, wife and 2 DDs) will be on the Dawn in 12 days celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary.  😁 

This is our first cruise in 10 years and I am definitely excited!  It's a 4-day cruise from Miami to Costa Maya.  

Looking forward to reading your review. Also, suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

we are doing the same with our 3 teen boys - cannot wait 

Booked on the Dawn for a 14-day out of Tampa early next year. Just got off the Dawn 2 weeks ago for a 7-day cruise and had such a great time, booked another one on the Dawn for next year. Last month was the first time in 10 years since I was on the Dawn. Have been cruising on the larger ships, Breakaway, Escape, etc. and wasn't sure how I would feel about going back to a small ship but I loved it. It has that nice homey feel and had a truly wonderful time. Tried all the restaurants, did all the shows, and all the bars, staff was fabulous. Suite staff treated us so good I didn't miss not having a Haven.

We will be cruising on the Dawn B2B  for a 14 day Caribbean and 7 day Bermuda cruise this  Oct and Nov. Have not been on the Dawn since April of 2010 out of NY.

We really like the ship but would LOVE  her even more if she had a great outdoors. I hope NCL refits her with one  as they have done on other Dawn class ships..(Sky and Sun)

4 hours ago, P_Mcruisers said:

We will be cruising on the Dawn B2B  for a 14 day Caribbean and 7 day Bermuda cruise this  Oct and Nov. Have not been on the Dawn since April of 2010 out of NY.

We really like the ship but would LOVE  her even more if she had a great outdoors. I hope NCL refits her with one  as they have done on other Dawn class ships..(Sky and Sun)

Sun and Sky are not Dawn's sister ships, Star is.  

The Dawn----oh my! April 7 to 12...……..the good---met some great people, the drink package, the food.  The Bad---constantly blocked toilet due to a neighbor flushing things they weren't supposed to, some of the crew----lets say they were just there.  Many I met had cabin issues--an interior with no a/c or resolution, sewage smell in cabin, loose steps going to deck 13 from pool.  The ugly- electrical fire on deck 10 a few cabins from ours-----we were NOT evacuated like others---it was not pretty from what I understand......people on top deck at 2:30 am, panic with others, guy stuck in elevator, person in wheel chair panicked, etc.  We smelt the issue the next am---told by a few others later in day....if there was a real catastrophe......guess Id be the last to know.  I like Norwegian- I hate the Dawn

• 2 weeks later...

I was just on the Dawn from 4/12-4/17.  I loved it.  Good food, crew was great (minus a rude belly dancing teacher, but the Cruise Director dealt with that swiftly), no issues with the boat. Nothing like above my comment.
We were on the 8th floor near elevators, and had no noise issues.  The first night, I heard a man arguing with someone near the elevators but it was quick and heard nothing after that.  The only con I found was the size of the pool seemed a little small for 2400 people.

• Like 1