Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Painting Classes

dcgillespie

We are taking a transatlantic voyage on QM2 in a Grill Suite in a couple of weeks' time. Our daughter and a friend who are travelling with us have heard that there are watercolour painting classes on offer during the 7 day trip and they are very keen to take part. We have been led to believe that spaces are severely limited and the advice is to go and register for the class as soon as we get on board. Does anyone know where this registration actually takes place on board? Thank you all in advance.

DW has attended the classes on several cruises, including one transatlantic. She's never had trouble getting a space in the class, including sitting in on both the AM and PM sessions (which are duplicate sessions). 

There are a finite number of kits on the ship so I suppose they could run short but it hasn't been an issue. 

The classes meet either in the upper lever of Brittania or in one of the tender lounges on Deck 1 near the B lift (starboard side, IIRC) but I would assume that the instructor might not be there. 

• Thanks 1

Also, if you bring your own watercolor "kit" you won't have to worry about supplies. The $35 fee is for the kit so if you had your own you wouldn't also have to pay that fee. 

I'll look at one if DW's kits to see what it includes. 

• Thanks 1

I took the water color classes on our last crossing, this past September, and throughly enjoyed them. On our trip, there was no actual sign-up. You just showed up for the first class but would recommend showing up at least 15 min early so you can gather your materials, get settled and organized. The classes are held in the Britannia main dining room on the top level, port side. The option of morning classes and afternoon classes are offered. The classes are an hour long and are every day. The first 20 minutes was usually devoted to a specific technique or two and the last 40 minutes to a project involving that day's technique(s). There is usually about 30 minutes of homework which I did before class each morning. We started with about 30 people in our class but lost about 1/3 of the class after the first day when they found out what the commitment was. Over the week we lost a couple of more people. The last day is actually an art show combining both morning and afternoon classes. The skill level of the participants varied from complete novice (like me) to extremely skilled artist. Our instructor was amazing. After the technique lesson, she would spend the rest of the class working individually with each student. I always felt that I received plenty of individual attention. All materials are provided but there is a small charge. 

MY DAY ONE PROJECT - Blending colors

IMG_2149.thumb.JPG.53546841080f00144bccae0debb0fb2f.JPG

MY DAY FIVE PROJECT 

IMG_2445.thumb.JPG.48c96cab30d26aa7874497a97e8f4f89.JPG

ONE OF THE MORE ACCOMPLISHED STUDENT'S PROJECT

IMG_2203.thumb.JPG.e351a72f2b4c0314749b91bc78e901cc.JPG

It was all great fun, very satisfying and made many new friends. 

IMG_2441.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This was one of the activities my husband and I really enjoyed. On our crossing in June 2018 there was no preregistration. Starting on our first sea day there were classes every day at 10 and 2 in the upper deck 3 Britannia restaurant. We always went to the 10 am class. We would arrive 15 minutes early and get a good seat up close to the instructor. When we arrived later we would still get a seat but it would be further back and we couldn’t see the demonstration as well. 

• Thanks 1

Aside from agreeing with all the posts (I did it on our crossing last year) - let me add that I checked with a friend who is an artist. When I detailed what the kit contained, he was very impressed by the excellent value of high quality supplies. 

(I also remember the class being 2 hours, because I had to leave early the first day because I had made plans after the first hour)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been following this thread with interest.   I have often wondered about joining the class but as someone who cannot draw a straight line even with a ruler I've been a little worried that I might make a complete fool of myself.

Jack, you have gone some way to allay my fears, but can you give me an idea of how many out of the class you attended were absolutely complete novices?  I keep thinking I might be the 'one' in a class of budding Rembrandts 🤣

5 hours ago, babs135 said:

I've been following this thread with interest.   I have often wondered about joining the class but as someone who cannot draw a straight line even with a ruler I've been a little worried that I might make a complete fool of myself.

Jack, you have gone some way to allay my fears, but can you give me an idea of how many out of the class you attended were absolutely complete novices?  I keep thinking I might be the 'one' in a class of budding Rembrandts 🤣

Babs135,

It was split pretty evenly, 1/3 never evers, 1/3 I've done a little and 1/3 very accomplished. I wish I had taken some pictures of the art show so you could see the range of talent. I was clearly the worst but enjoyed every minute of it and learned much more then I thought I would. Our instructor was amazing at pulling the creativity out of each student. The whole atmosphere of the class was very encouraging and supportive. But it is a commitment and there is a lot of work involved. It was probably day 3 before all of the techniques and lessons started to come together to be able to create a satisfying painting. 

Hope this is helpful.

Jack

• Like 1

I was a total novice, who even makes a mess painting walls. By the end, I had learned techniques and was feeling comfortable, but didn't paint anything that was a real painting. Yet. I've intended to practice at home, but haven't. However, I'll be joining the classes on our next crossing.

To answer the question on brands, i just dug out my bag. The watercolors are Windsor Newton. The brushes are also Windsor Newton "Cotman" brand. The pencil is from Conté à Paris.

2 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

I was a total novice, who even makes a mess painting walls. By the end, I had learned techniques and was feeling comfortable, but didn't paint anything that was a real painting. Yet. I've intended to practice at home, but haven't. However, I'll be joining the classes on our next crossing.

To answer the question on brands, i just dug out my bag. The watercolors are Windsor Newton. The brushes are also Windsor Newton "Cotman" brand. The pencil is from Conté à Paris.

Thank you very much!

On 4/8/2019 at 7:05 PM, MarkBearSF said:

If you painted something it was a real painting.....don't under estimate yourself.🤗

Total novices most definitely welcome!  

Do arrive in plenty of time though..... and remember that the teacher is there to teach, so if you need help or guidance after each bit of demonstration - do ask.

At the end of the voyage there is usually an 'exhibition'. I put my pictures in last May to encourage other newbies to join in (with a little 'beginner' type sign next them 😊)

7 hours ago, Toffeegirl68 said:

Total novices most definitely welcome!  

Do arrive in plenty of time though..... and remember that the teacher is there to teach, so if you need help or guidance after each bit of demonstration - do ask.

At the end of the voyage there is usually an 'exhibition'. I put my pictures in last May to encourage other newbies to join in (with a little 'beginner' type sign next them 😊)

That was very thoughtful and I'm sure that people signed up because of your encouragement.🤗