Spa Etiquette. ?

PekingeseLady

I've never been a Spa Person.  20 plus cruises and I've never been to the spa to use the included facilities like the sauna and steamroom.  But this cruise I'm a lot older and the spa is calling my name.  Plus it's my first Alaska Cruise, so I think the cooler climate is what is enticing me to think of these warm relaxing places, LOL  Plus we will be on the Lido deck next to the stairs/elevators, easy one floor up.  I am hoping to enjoy these rooms a few times during the cruise.  Hence my post today.  I need some tips.  And mainly I need to know do you go in nude with a towel, or do you wear a bathing suit?  I know they are not Coed so I'm just not sure.  Hoping someone here will let me know any Spa Etiquette I should know.  DH would like to know too, hahaha.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by PekingeseLady

I usually use the Thermal Suite on Princess ships--a luxury for me.  On one of more recent cruises, I didn't buy the TS pass and tried the free sauna.  I wore my bathing suit as I always do in the TS.  The free saunas are in the men's and women's changing room so it doesn't really make a difference if you wear anything--personal preference.  This would be the set-up on the pre-Royal/Regal ships.  On those the spa is on deck 5 just off the atrium.  Using the TS is quite a bit more expensive on those ships so I never used it on our several cruises on the Royal.  I had a massage on the Royal and don't recall if they have a sauna in their changing rooms, but I don't believe they do.

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PekingeseLady said:

Not using the Thermal Spa.  Just the sauna and steamrooms within the Men and Womens changing rooms that are included with your cruise.

I always wear a bathing suit there, too, and not a birthday suit. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 9:30 AM, PekingeseLady said:

Thank you both for your quick responses.  I'd rather be nude, but don't want offend anyone.  Maybe I'll check, peek in first and see what the others are doing, LOL

Don't worry about offending anyone. My husband and I go to spas frequently -- on cruise ships, hotels, resorts, in the City, etc. In our experience you'll see a mix of both nude and in swimwear. If a person is offended by nudity, honestly that's on them, and perhaps a spa is not a good place for them to go. Or they should time their visits to the sauna, steam room, etc. for when they are comfortable, or just avert their eyes. It's not your responsibility to create their comfort when you aren't doing anything out of the norm. 🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree,  nude it is. I feel this would be so much better then wearing a suit. Add mentioned we are in our designated changing areas. This will be our first time using the spa features that are included,  after over 20 cruises. DH says he knows he's gonna love it and will be kicking himself for not using sooner. lol

1 hour ago, PekingeseLady said:

I agree,  nude it is. I feel this would be so much better then wearing a suit. Add mentioned we are in our designated changing areas. This will be our first time using the spa features that are included,  after over 20 cruises. DH says he knows he's gonna love it and will be kicking himself for not using sooner. lol

I am on the Alaska cruise with you.  I will be using the steam room and sauna with my swim suit on.  Just more comfortable for me. I like to use the jacuzzi first, shower, steam room, shower, sauna, shower.  

Cindy

8 minutes ago, Luvtennis6060 said:

I am on the Alaska cruise with you.  I will be using the steam room and sauna with my swim suit on.  Just more comfortable for me. I like to use the jacuzzi first, shower, steam room, shower, sauna, shower.  

Cindy

Oh my,  that's a lot of showers.  I will have my towel on,  so no worries,  I'll only take it off when I feel good about it. When's the best time to go? I heard they turn everything on at 8 am, so best to wait till at least 8:30.

3 minutes ago, PekingeseLady said:

Oh my,  that's a lot of showers.  I will have my towel on,  so no worries,  I'll only take it off when I feel good about it. When's the best time to go? I heard they turn everything on at 8 am, so best to wait till at least 8:30.

I like to walk a few miles on Promenade deck in the morning, go to breakfast and then enjoy the jacuzzi, etc. We usually get there around 10 to 10:30.  Showers are just a way to cool off, don’t want to get over heated in the steam room and sauna.

Cindy

4 minutes ago, Luvtennis6060 said:

I like to walk a few miles on Promenade deck in the morning, go to breakfast and then enjoy the jacuzzi, etc. We usually get there around 10 to 10:30.  Showers are just a way to cool off, don’t want to get over heated in the steam room and sauna.

Cindy

Great idea, now I get it.  Probably the reason I haven't spent any time in the spa previously is because I get to hot.  I'm impressed with your walking a few miles every morning.  I walk to the IC for pastries then elevator up to 16 for a smoke, then get DH and go to breakfast.  Probably see you there, in your swimsuit, hehe  We're going to have a fantastic cruise.

On 4/7/2019 at 3:47 PM, 4cats4me said:

No nudies at the Enclave, ever 

It is co ed 

and I havent seen nudes at thermal spa either 

we always wear swimsuits, except if getting a spa treatment 

Not true.  There was a man on the Regal last year that did not have a swimsuit on when he used the lounger. He put a towel down, took off his suit, laid down and used another towel to cover with.  He would strategically flash women who used loungers opposite him.  

5 hours ago, CZEE said:

Not true.  There was a man on the Regal last year that did not have a swimsuit on when he used the lounger. He put a towel down, took off his suit, laid down and used another towel to cover with.  He would strategically flash women who used loungers opposite him.  

Lovely. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 8:00 AM, PekingeseLady said:

I've never been a Spa Person.  20 plus cruises and I've never been to the spa to use the included facilities like the sauna and steamroom.  But this cruise I'm a lot older and the spa is calling my name.  Plus it's my first Alaska Cruise, so I think the cooler climate is what is enticing me to think of these warm relaxing places, LOL  Plus we will be on the Lido deck next to the stairs/elevators, easy one floor up.  I am hoping to enjoy these rooms a few times during the cruise.  Hence my post today.  I need some tips.  And mainly I need to know do you go in nude with a towel, or do you wear a bathing suit?  I know they are not Coed so I'm just not sure.  Hoping someone here will let me know any Spa Etiquette I should know.  DH would like to know too, hahaha.  Thanks in advance.

Go nude if you are not self conscious about your body.  Have seen both sexes nude using the spa and  loungers.  When using the spa loungers sit on your towel for hygiene purposes.

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Thanks 1