I hope NCL Studios aren't too claustrophobic

Tacu

After a lot of dithering, I've booked myself into a Studio cabin for a Baltic cruise next year.

I'm really excited already, St Petersburg has been on my bucket list for a while but the cruises were just too expensive.  Booking a studio has just about kept the price within my comfortable levels, but I'm hoping it won't be a mistake.  I'm a loner and spend a lot of time in my cabin.  My first cruise was in a single balcony on Britannia and my second is in a double balcony on Oceana next month (you can tell I'm an experienced cruiser 😛 ) and the main reason for the balconies was so that I could 'hide' and watch the sea.  Next year's cruise on Escape will be my little challenge to myself, to get out and mingle and/or find quiet spots to sit and read.. hope that's going to work! 

I've bought the drinks and meals packages so at least that ensures I'll get out the room sometimes - looking forward to it though, I think it's going to be a whole new experience 🙂

• Like 2

Visited my father in law in his NCL studio on the Breakaway over Christmas.  Room was pretty good sized for a solo traveler.  Seemed like the guests in the studios had a bunch of planned activities to partake in, including meals and social hours.  On the Escape, I would visit the Waterfront if I was looking for a place to watch the world go by and wanted quiet to read.

• Like 2

i was last year with the Breakaway at the Baltics in a Studio. first time in a NCL Studio and liked it. But i was only short time in my room ( mostly, to sleep and shower ). to the studio belongs a lounge, i never saw there another person or bar service ( but there is water, juice, coffee and little sweet things to eat everytime).

Next year is with the escape then, i thinking about that cruise again beause a want to do a cruise with the escape again. the escape has many great places and i think that you will find some quite nice places for example at the waterfront or at the top sun deck at the front of the ship. Maybe a spa pass is another option for you if you like pools too. At my breakaway cruise the spa was mostly empty or only less persons there. the escape has a wonderful spa ( but is to pay extra)

• Like 1

I don't find them too small at all. Of course I tend to spend my days out around the ship.  If you like a place to relax and watch the ocean then I suggest a spa pass. It looks like you're on the Getaway which is a great ship and has a lovely spa.  The spa passes are limited so while it can sometimes get full and can be a little noisy it is usually very peaceful. 

Just be aware that in the studios themselves there really isn't any place to sit. It's either on the bed or you can sit on the stool under the desk but it isn't very comfortable. The lounge is a nice place as well and has the best coffee on the ship, you just can't see anything from it.

• Like 2

I have done the Studio cabins twice; one on the Epic and one on the Escape.  Both cruises were 7 days so not to long or to short. I am now doing a 15 day TA on the Epic and I decided that there was no way I could be in a studio for 15 days.  I splurged and got my first solo balcony as I do like to spend time in my cabin.    I even got lucky and got upgraded for free to a mini suite.  I will use the hell out of the balcony and I am looking forward to having my coffee and wine and just plain relaxing on the balcony.  I am afraid that if you do like to spend time in your cabin then the studio might not be for you.  Especially since  you have already done balconies in the past.  As said before the only places to sit are on the bed or on the stool.  The cruise I did on the Escape was a Caribbean cruise so during the day I was either out at the pool or in the ports.  I would do the Studio cabin again but only for shorter cruises.

• Like 1

I had a studio on the Escape last November & did not feel claustrophobic at all... overall I don't think I spent a lot of time in  my cabin but wanted some alone time so just hung out & watched movies, didn't feel closed in... I've had balconies so know where you're coming from but I think you'll be fine. And as others have said, the Waterfront is a great spot to watch the ocean & be alone if you want to be outside by yourself. Have a great cruise!

I have done studios on the Breakaway and Getaway.  Most recently, I did a Baltic cruise followed by a transatlantic in the studio, a total of 23 days.  That was way too long to be in a studio.  I would do a studio again, but only for a short (7-10 day max) cruise.  The cabin started feeling more and more like a closet as the days went on.  On my Getaway cruise later this month I booked a sailaway balcony for $200 more than the studio, and eventually was upgraded free to a mini suite. I’ll definitely appreciate the extra space and of course the balcony.

Edited by nwcruiselover

14 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

I have done studios on the Breakaway and Getaway.  Most recently, I did a Baltic cruise followed by a transatlantic in the studio, a total of 23 days.  That was way too long to be in a studio.  I would do a studio again, but only for a short (7-10 day max) cruise.  The cabin started feeling more and more like a closet as the days went on.  On my Getaway cruise later this month I booked a sailaway balcony for $200 more than the studio, and eventually was upgraded free to a mini suite. I’ll definitely appreciate the extra space and of course the balcony.

So glad to read this as this is exactly my thoughts.  And your right after a while it does feel like a big closet (lol).

Its alright, just note, when you're in ports, the cellular internet service from the land won't reach that far into the ship, so you have to use the ship's Wifi or have no internet at all.

If you want to see what's going on outside, you can just turn on the TV and see the video camera.

I don't find them claustrophic. They are actually nice and quiet places to relax and watch movies when you just want to be by yourself.

I'm claustrophobic and did 21 days straight in a Studio, and loved it. I'm a neat freak though and store everything after use. I think that helps over a messy cabin. The lighting is great too, and I think that helps a lot. Never felt claustrophobic at all.

• Like 1

My very first cruise was in a studio on Escape, the studio lounge on that ship is more spacious than the equivalent on Getaway.  The waterfront area is a good spot to sit outside, The Cellars bar has nice couches(sofas) outside. There’s also Spice H2O sundeck at the top and stern of the ship, it’s adults only until 7pm. There’s a bar at one side and a cool water grotto/waterfall feature on the other, and also a couple of hot tubs. It turns into an outdoor nightclub if the weather cooperates. 

On 4/7/2019 at 4:13 PM, Harratine said:

Visited my father in law in his NCL studio on the Breakaway over Christmas.  Room was pretty good sized for a solo traveler.  Seemed like the guests in the studios had a bunch of planned activities to partake in, including meals and social hours.  On the Escape, I would visit the Waterfront if I was looking for a place to watch the world go by and wanted quiet to read.

Just to remind people that even though the solo traveler meetings take place in the studio lounge, you don't actually have to be in a studio to go to them.  Anyone cruising solo can attend.