Vista Suite Deck

RMurp007

I have been offered an up-grade to a Vista Suite.  When I look at the deck plans, it shows a gray space in the middle.  What is that on the ship?  Is it worth $189 pp for this up-grade on an Alaskan inside passage cruise that is only 3 days long?

Personally, I think that's a lot of money to spend for three days. However, keep in mind that I am a cave dweller when I cruise, and normally don't spend the money for a higher category cabin.

The Volendam has a great deal of deck space, so you will have every opportunity to sit outside and enjoy, even if you keep your inside cabin. I think you get much better views, more expansive views, from outside decks. There are even areas that are covered, so you can be out during the famous Alaska 'liquid sunshine'. Plus, it's easy to change sides of the ship, should there be a strong wind; can't do that with a balcony.

In all my cruises to Alaska, I have never felt I missed anything by not having a balcony.

You must be on a Yukon adventure out of Vancouver.  You will sail up the inside passage to Juneau or Skagway but the weather will be chilly so you probably won’t use it much.  I tend to agree with Ruth.  I have never booked an inside cabin but they are a nice value.

If you would be spending more time in port it might be worth it but not for just sailing.  You will want to be out and about on the ship and an upgraded cabin will have no value on the land portion of your adventure.  I’m pretty sure it would not even qualify for extra mariner points.

The open space in the center of the deck is just crew work areas.  No problem as far as noise at night.

Personally I feel $63 per person per day is a bargain when being up sold from an inside stateroom... considering i would the have my private viewing space! Plus the fact wouldn't you double your Mariner points?

Edited by rucrazy

43 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Plus the fact wouldn't you double your Mariner points?

No, because the original booking did not qualify for double points.

We have been on just 2 AK cruises, in OV each time. On one of them a friend had a veranda cabin (not called a suite back then) and didn't spend more than a couple of hours total on her balcony because of the weather. We haven't regretted not having a balcony on either cruise.

Edited by catl331

54 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Oh wow!! I guess we got lucky.....On one of our up sells HAL did credit us with the suite bonus

There is one loophole. HAL says you must pay "a published fare" for the suite to get the double points. So - if your original fare plus the upgrade differential price equaled the published fare for the suite at that time, then you would get the double points. Otherwise, yes, you were the beneficiary of an error.

Edited by catl331