Orlando to Miami Update

teacherman

We were on the canceled Oasis cruise of March 31 and switched to the Allure.  The difficulty was we already had flight tickets into Orlando and the Allure departed from Miami.  We were a little apprehensive about making the drive but all went well.  We arrived in Orlando the day before the cruise and rented cars from Alamo.  It took us about 2 hours on the turnpike, with a short stop, to reach Ft. Pierce, where we spent the night at the Hampton Inn.  The next morning we left at about 8:20, drove to MIA and returned the cars, took the rental car shuttle to the ship and were on board by 12:30.

Upon debarkation, we kept our luggage and walked off the ship at 7:00.  There was no line, regardless of what several people had told us.  We again took the rental car shuttle.  We were the only people at the rental desk at MIA that early in the morning and were on the road by 8:00.  We stopped on time and were at Orlando airport at noon.  I will admit that we were exceeding the speed limit, but barely keeping up with traffic.  Anyway, it all worked out well and I thank all of you who gave us advice and information on how to do all of this.  It was fairly "easy" to do, but I don't want to do it again.

• Like 1

I'm so glad that it worked out well for you!  Thanks for taking the time to come back and update everyone.

Hope your cruise was amazing!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

Great!  Thanks for the update.  I always disembark Oasis-class around 6:45 - 7.  By this time, as you found out, the lines are gone.

As long as you stay 80 or under on I95 or the Turnpike, usually no big deal.  Glad you made it and it all worked out.

It's all perspective I guess.  When we were just in Norway, the ski lodge was about 4 hours from the airport.  So that was "the drive" to the airport.  We didn't think much of it.  Since this was not expected for you, I'm sure it felt a little more than it was.

17 hours ago, teacherman said:

I will admit that we were exceeding the speed limit, but barely keeping up with traffic.  

Yea in the 70mph zones no one follows the limit. 80-82mph the chances of getting a ticket are really low. Troopers are looking for people going closer to 90 or 100 when there is light traffic especially. \

There were supposed to raise the limits to 75-mph. They should. But that was called off a few years ago.