Path outside of El Morro question

Anyislandwilldo

28 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

We would like to walk back to port after we tour El Morro.  Once inside El Morro, where do we find access to the path outside the fort that will take us back to the port?  Thanks.

We went to El Morro last week on a land visit to PR. You will exit the fort the same way you entered (using the main gate). From there, follow the straight path towards Ballajá (the large totem pole) and past Plaza San Jose (where the statue of Ponce de Leon is). From there, walk downhill towards El Convento and past the San Juan Cathedral, then make a left at Fortaleza Street. This will most likely be the quickest and most scenic way back to the port.

There’s no other way to exit the fort  (at least for general admission). When you’re inside the fort, you can go down to the lowest level which is at water level, and which has an open deck, but this deck doesn’t connect with the path along the outside of the San Juan wall a few feet away. You need to go back up to the main gate to exit. If you do want to connect with the path, you can do so by walking towards the water, but you’ll still need to exit El Morro at the main gate.

The return walk is easy since you’ll be walking downhill most of the way. The instructions may seem a bit convoluted but it’s pretty easy as long as you’re not directionally challenged,

08D60702-8174-4494-9B73-5B0D2E9CC350.jpeg

Edited by Tapi

Tapi- I'm surprised that you don't know of the path that takes you down to the water level, which is the long extension of the path that runs along the fort wall.  We've gone from that path into El Morro a few times, and it was only closed once- when the Fort was shut down.

Anyislandwilldo- while I know that the path is there, I can only confidently tell you to go from that walking route up to the fort, but since we've not done it backwards, I'm not sure how to find it.  An alternate walk back to the ship is to stay to the west until you find the Puerta de San Juan, which will then put you on the path along the water, and will direct you to the Paseo de la Princesa, and then back to the port area.

Anyway you go back, it's a nice wandering walk.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

This link has a map of the Paseo del Morro.  Just follow the red dotted line.

https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/paseo-del-morro-old-san-juan/

I'm hearing there is an entrance to the fort grounds now, but not sure if that's true or was still being planned at the time of the hurricanes.

It was there before the hurricane, and it was there in this past January when we were in San Juan.

4 hours ago, alfaeric said:

Tapi- I'm surprised that you don't know of the path that takes you down to the water level, which is the long extension of the path that runs along the fort wall.  We've gone from that path into El Morro a few times, and it was only closed once- when the Fort was shut down.

Anyislandwilldo- while I know that the path is there, I can only confidently tell you to go from that walking route up to the fort, but since we've not done it backwards, I'm not sure how to find it.  An alternate walk back to the ship is to stay to the west until you find the Puerta de San Juan, which will then put you on the path along the water, and will direct you to the Paseo de la Princesa, and then back to the port area.

Anyway you go back, it's a nice wandering walk.

I’m going to need to check that out next time I’m there. When I was there last week I didn’t see any exit at the lower level connecting to the path. I always knew that the path took you to El Morro but it looped around the outside. The photos attached show how I remember it. But they may be older photos and i do see where there’s some construction. Thanks for that

517DE39A-500B-4046-A2E9-FC0F005D00ED.jpeg

7EABAE4A-EEA4-42AA-98DA-FBA7B7306778.png

You have to walk along a normal dirt path after you reach the end of the trail and climb all of the stairs.  And the end of the path/stairs don't show on your pictures, but they are there, for sure.

The only problem with doing it is that it can be brutal in the afternoon, when most of the path is in the sun.... 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, DISFANS3 said:

The walk is down hill to the port...

Believe it or not, as difficult effort wise walking up hill can be, going downhill actually has greater impact on knees, so may not be as easy as it seems.

That said, I did walk from the pier to the fort the long way and then came back via the streets while wearing knee braces and survived okay. "course the pina colada at Barrachina's helped a lot, LOL.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:09 AM, crewsweeper said:

This link has a map of the Paseo del Morro.  Just follow the red dotted line.

https://sanjuanpuertorico.com/paseo-del-morro-old-san-juan/

I'm hearing there is an entrance to the fort grounds now, but not sure if that's true or was still being planned at the time of the hurricanes.

This map looks like there is a path that goes all the way round but you can enter the fort only at one point.  Anyone know how steep that path is and is that walk from the port nicer to do before touring the fort or after?  We are in port from 7-2 and the fort opens at 9.  I am hoping the grounds are open so we could walk there while it is cooler earlier. 

https://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/maps.htm

2-0-0.jpg

Edited by reallyitsmema

There are stairs at the end of the path, and then an uneven dirt and grass path.  When you reach the fort entrance from that side, you then have to climb up to the level where the main entrance is- as that's the only actual entrance to the interior of the fort.  

I'm not sure what time that gate is opened....

17 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

There are stairs at the end of the path, and then an uneven dirt and grass path.  When you reach the fort entrance from that side, you then have to climb up to the level where the main entrance is- as that's the only actual entrance to the interior of the fort.  

I'm not sure what time that gate is opened....

Thanks for the information.  

• 2 weeks later...

We are just getting ready to leave San Juan now after a great morning exploring. We did walk up the front lawn, explored the fort and then walked back along the water to the San Juan gate. There is a gate that would have prevented us from doing the harbor walk first and then trying to go to the front entrance. The sign said it is locked from 6pm until 9am. They are doing some maintenance work on the path as some areas were washed out a bit. There was also a large pile of new pavers and a pile of sand, so it looks like they are going to pave some of the dirt path. 

Thanks for for the helpful information. It led to a great day. 

• Like 1