Interior rooms on GEM

trish4bruce

Can anyone tell me if there are better then average interior rooms on the Gem? Not so much in relation to location and floor level but more in regards to space and room layout. 

Edited by trish4bruce

The inside rooms on Breakaway are super small!  My to adult sons shared one and they said they both couldn't move around in the room at the same time.  One had to lay on the bed while the other unpacked.  One has cruised in the Solo cabins before and he said they were almost the same size!

I haven't had an inside cabin on the Gem, but I've seen them. I think that the "crosswise" ones (with the door in the long wall) feel more spacious. On the deck plan, 8553 would be a "crosswise" example while 8533 is a standard one. It is true that inside cabins are slightly smaller than even non-balcony oceanviews.

Go here:  https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/staterooms/inside

Select "View Photos and Floorplan" on the various inside staterooms to see how they've laid out 138 square feet of space, the width being half the length.  Then you can use a tape measure to draw out a rectangle on your basement floor or in the back yard and see how much stuff you can keep within it and still move around without stepping on the line.

Edited by MotownVoice

I've been on the Gem about 4 times, inside room every time, worked out just fine. I would say (not that you asked) avoid the front of the ship, probably the worst room we had ever been assigned, but other than that, and inside room inspires you to get out and explore the ship!

2 hours ago, trish4bruce said:

Can anyone tell me if there are better then average interior rooms on the Gem? Not so much in relation to location and floor level but more in regards to space and room layout. 

not the answer you are looking for but we had inside on the gem, i dont even think they gave us a chair, I had to make sure I did not hit my head on the overhead bed (for a third person that was on the side of the wall) everytime I got out of bed.  It was miserable, however we just booked a cheap inside room for nyc april18 on the pearl (sister ship) not looking forward to the room, but beats staying home.

2 hours ago, ksmcdonald said:

The inside rooms on Breakaway are super small!  My to adult sons shared one and they said they both couldn't move around in the room at the same time.  One had to lay on the bed while the other unpacked.  One has cruised in the Solo cabins before and he said they were almost the same size!

As a solo cruiser, I far prefer Studio cabins to Insides. (regardless of price differential).

Just off The Gem today. We had an inside and had no problem. We always have the bed separated into two singles and it gives you plenty of room down the center to move around. In fact, we celebrated Mass with 4 others in the cabin (travelled with a priest) with no problem.

Im with Kochleffel, the sideways rooms on deck 8 are a superior layout. Since the cabin is turned 90 degrees the cabin door is about where the door would be located in connecting cabins, in the middle of the long wall. When you enter the cabin you are in the middle with the bed to one side and the bathroom/closets to the other. This is nice because coming and going from the cabin doesn't interfere with someone dressing or going through the closets. You also get more storage space as what would be hall space from a normal cabin door becomes extra closet.

Inside cabins are very small but the sideways layout is a little more functional. If you have an inside you will appreciate every efficient use of space.

3 hours ago, Kruizin'Kath said:

..... The Gem today. We had an inside...  We always have the bed separated into two singles and it gives you plenty of room down the center to move around."  In fact, we celebrated Mass with 4 others in the cabin (travelled with a priest) with no problem.

TOTALLY agree!  When space is limited.... pull the beds apart! If you have an ocean view stateroom.... you can walk right up to the window and look out.