Car Service from Rome to Port - Drop Off Questions

Truluv

Sorry if this has been asked before - I haven't gotten through the whole thread yet.  I pre-arranged for a car service from our hotel in Rome to the port.  I'm reading the Rick Steves Mediteranean Cruise book, which mentioned that cabs drop passengers at the main port gate and then free shuttle buses take them to their ship.  Are cabs and car services able to transport passengers directly to the ship's pier like in the US, or does everyone take shuttle buses?    (RCL Jewel cruise)

Also -- if there's a shuttle bus, do you tip the shuttle bus driver?  Please give me your thoughts on tipping the driver of the car service?  I've seen varying suggestions from 0 to 10%. 

Most pre-arranged car services can drop passengers directly to their terminal or ship. (Some of the piers in Civitivecchia don't really have what I'd call a proper 'terminal', lol.)

You do not need to tip either the shuttle driver (if used) or your private driver. Tipping is not standard nor 'expected' in Europe as in the US. If and only if the driver is helpful getting your bags in the trunk at the hotel and out at the port, you might give a few euro in tip or just round up your total cost.

Thank you! 

I'm nervous about international travel and trying to prepare by doing as much research as possible.  (This trip probably would have remained at the top of my bucket list forever, if my most adventurous kid (30) hadn't surprised me by taking 2 weeks' of vacation to go with me plus buying the plane tickets as a retirement present.)   It was really nice of him since he could travel with a girlfriend instead of Mom.  In return, I'll TRY not to drive him too crazy LOL.       

• Like 2

We have been dropped off at this port many times.

You have been given excellent advice.

Taxis are not allowed in the port but the recommended car service companies can do this.

We use Rome Cabs at www.romecabs.com

Keith

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:03 AM, Truluv said:

Sorry if this has been asked before - I haven't gotten through the whole thread yet.  I pre-arranged for a car service from our hotel in Rome to the port.  I'm reading the Rick Steves Mediteranean Cruise book, which mentioned that cabs drop passengers at the main port gate and then free shuttle buses take them to their ship.  Are cabs and car services able to transport passengers directly to the ship's pier like in the US, or does everyone take shuttle buses?    (RCL Jewel cruise)

Also -- if there's a shuttle bus, do you tip the shuttle bus driver?  Please give me your thoughts on tipping the driver of the car service?  I've seen varying suggestions from 0 to 10%. 

I heard that they need a special permit to drop you off directly vs the area where you have to wait for shuttle. We used Autolineroma and were very happy with them for to and from the port. They brought up right to where they take the luggage and head to check in. When getting off the ship, the driver was waiting holding a sign with our name on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiselove87 said:

I heard that they need a special permit to drop you off directly vs the area where you have to wait for shuttle. We used Autolineroma and were very happy with them for to and from the port. They brought up right to where they take the luggage and head to check in. When getting off the ship, the driver was waiting holding a sign with our name on it.

Maybe yes, maybe no.  After all, we are talking about Italy!  Many regular transfer companies (such as Rome in Limo and Rome Cabs) have no problem getting inside the port (they do this every day) and can drop you right at your pier...unless the Port decides to change their longstanding rules.  Local taxis can sometimes get inside the port with no problem and other times are refused entrance.  Other services from Rome may or may not be able to get in the port.  If not, they will take you to the transfer point at Lago della Pace...which is where you can get a free internal port bus that will take you (and your luggage) to your pier.

If a friend of mine were asking about getting a car transfer from Rome to the port our personal recommendation would be to book (ASAP) with RomeCabs.com.  Rome in Limo also makes my personal recommended list because many cruisers who we know (and trust) have used them with excellent results.  These two companies are certainly not the least expensive transfer outfits, but they are both trustworthy and do a good job.  

Hank

I'll be a bit more reassuring -- I have read posts from and have talked to folks who have used any number of different private services -- some recommended here and some from other places like Tripadvisor -- and I have only heard a couple of times about someone not getting dropped at their ship/terminal. (Generally those are from providers that were not well vetted to start with...)

Even the 'budget friendly' shared shuttle I have used can do the same. As long as they have a passenger with a ticket to board, they are generally allowed in, assuming no prior problems.

It's the pick-up FROM the ship where there may be a bit more of a question (because the driver doesn't have an obvious passenger). But even then, I've heard of very few problems that were not disclosed in advance by the driver.  And again, the more budget-friendly shuttle I've used has been able to pick up ship-side.

The key is to ask and ensure you get a response.