7 Years since last Princess Cruise--What has changed? It's for the Grandchildren!!!

Ancon

Our last Princess Cruise was seven years ago (2012) traveling from Anchorage to Beijing on the Diamond Princess.  We are experienced cruisers and have ~130 days on Princess.  We would like to know what have been the major changes that have occurred on Princess since 2012 (new services offered, better technology, cutbacks in service)?  We will be sailing on the Coral Princess doing a South Bound Alaska Cruise this July and will have our two grandchildren (Boy age 10; girl age 9) traveling with us.  You probably realize that I have been initiated into that great fraternal financial institution --- "Bank of Dad" with no credit limit or expiration date!   So, how do we keep the Grandchildren entertained (miniature golf, rock wall, etc.) during sea days since their only cruising experience has been on the Disney Cruise Line?  We do NOT need port or excursion information as we are quite familiar with the Alaskan itinerary.  Any information or experience regarding the Kids Club would be most helpful.  They will have their beloved iPads with them onboard, so the ship internet speed is of particular interest.  We have read conflicting reports regarding the new Medallion Services (internet and Medallion wearable RFIDs)--are they available on the Coral Princess.  Any help will be greatly appreciated and thank you all in advance.  

v/r

Ancon

A.  NO rock climbing wall on Princess....

B.   Our grands have never been on Disney -- just Royal, Carnival, Holland, Celebrity and Princess....When we took our older group of 6 grands at that age on cruises they wanted nothing to do with the kids club, only wanted to hang out with us.   They even enjoyed going to Trivia with us.  Now they are in their 20s.....so I am NO HELP on the Kids Club things.  Our last 2 grands are 9 & 11 now, and so far haven't gotten permission from their momma (my d-i-l) to take them on a cruise without their parents....   

C.  If it were me, I would take our grandkids whale watching in Juneau & lumberjack show at Ketchikan, just saying.   (About 8 years ago, we delivered a new rental motor home to Anchorage from Iowa & took a 12 yr old grandson along -- in Valdez I arranged to go on a boat trip around the bay to see wildlife & glaciers.  Jake recently told us he dreaded going on that boat trip thinking it would be boring, but it was the BEST thing of all the great things we did & saw on that trip!  Such as Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Old Faithful, buffalo, bears, swimming in hot springs, etc.  

D.  Will you be in Anchorage a few days in advance?    Drive around the lake by the airport to see the float planes taking off & see how people keep their planes along the shore and their little camp buildings, driving road where planes have the right-of-way....go to Earthquake Park near the airport  to learn about the 1964 earthquake  that caused the largest tsunnami around AK, etc.   Are you taking a bus or train to Whittier?  Amazing views along Turnagain Arm.   Take the shorter Prince William Sound boat tour before you sail -- goes up real close to a glacier!!!  

E.  You got me thinking that I need to try to take some grands to AK TOO!!!!

Coral does not have OM installed.  Internet speed on Coral and the other ships that have not been updated to the faster internet is slow as you know and expensive.  We have taken our DGD with us several times starting when she was 4 and is now 11.  She is an only child and loves the kids programs but that may not last as she enters her teen years.  Coral is a smaller ship with even less to do aboard the ship.  Luckily you are doing a south bound AK cruise and most days will be filled with port calls and the Glacier Bay day.  NP rangers board and could offer some entertainment for a short period.  There has not been a lot of changes on the Coral from 2012 or a number of other older ships.  I would expect conditions on Coral to be very close to what Princess was like in 2012.  

The Coral was in dry dock January 21-30 of this year where the ship was freshened up.  There really have been no serious updates to the ship in the last 10 years.  

Here is some information regarding the youth programs. Both of the grand children will be in the same program.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/Youth_Guidelines_Registration.pdf

The Coral Does have a putting course. It is hidden up on deck 15.

There is also an indoor pool, Lotus Pool.

The youth center is on deck 12 aft.

If they are soda drinkers they might like the soda and more package. 

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/

You can bring on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you like. If the grand kids like juice boxes bring them along.

1 hour ago, satxdiver said:

Coral does not have OM installed.  Internet speed on Coral and the other ships that have not been updated to the faster internet is slow as you know and expensive. 

On the contrary. The Coral does have the speedy Medallion net available as of last month. 

If it does not show up in the Personalizer for your cruise, you have to call them to order it. Not that you would get stuck with a slower Internet, but you would pay more for it.

Princess is the favorite cruise line for my wife and myself.  However, for our kids and grand kids, (14, 16, 17, 18) we chose RCCl.  We just got off the Symphony of the Seas on April 6 th with each one of us having a great time.  So much for all of them to do whether it be laser tag,  water slides, rock climbing, ice skating, surfing, zip lines, or escape rooms.  If our grands would have been younger, I probably would have chosen Disney.  Two years ago we did Royal's Liberty of the Seas with them all with equal fun.  Food, entertainment, and activities were all good.  

But we will be back on our favorite, Princess, in a couple of weeks on the Ruby.  

Edited by earlydiner