Cost

babs135

When we were first told about Regent and we saw price we said  “no way!” And went on a carnival cruise that we could just drive down to the port.  We did have fun but our bill was quite large after signing all those checks. At 1 in the morning we were the first to go to bed😜.  In 2012 we decided to splurge on Regent.  We haven’t looked back.   Next one in a few weeks and we can’t wait.  It just fits us. 

Hello all,

I looked at Regent prices and tried to compare to prices on Oceania Riviera or Marina. I consider Oceania a very good line, definitely few steps above lines line RCI or Carnival. So lets assume I want to go a step above and graduate to Regent. We like to fly business when going to Europe. So lets compare the cost.

Typical 10 nights cruise in Mediterranean starts around $13-14+k CAD for veranda cabin. For example:

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/SPL200616/summary

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY200604/summary

Similar cruise on Oceania veranda room is around $5,500 CAD. For example:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Mediterranean-cruises/athens-to-venice-RVA200619/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2020|06%23destinations%3Dmediterranean%23ships%3DMNA%2CRVA%23cruiseLengths%3DEightToTen%2CElevenToFourteen

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Mediterranean-cruises/venice-to-barcelona-RVA200629/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2020|06%23destinations%3Dmediterranean%23ships%3DMNA%2CRVA%23cruiseLengths%3DEightToTen%2CElevenToFourteen

Lets add items:

Business class flight - ~$3000 CAD

Beverage package - ~$500 CAD

Excursions - ~$1,000 CAD

Gratuities - ~$200 CAD

Total: around $4,700 CAD

That brings the total cost of Oceania cruise in veranda cabin to just over $10k CAD. This is still significantly less than Regent.

If compared to mass market lines like Celebrity or Princess, the difference will be much more, but this is not really apples to apples comparison.

With Oceania you still get:

• no crowds
  • no queues
  • no rush
  • no ship's photographers
  • no extra charges for speciality restaurants, specialty coffees or teas etc.

So what makes Regent so much better that justifies the extra $3-4k cost? 

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Hello all,

I looked at Regent prices and tried to compare to prices on Oceania Riviera or Marina. I consider Oceania a very good line, definitely few steps above lines line RCI or Carnival. So lets assume I want to go a step above and graduate to Regent. We like to fly business when going to Europe. So lets compare the cost.

Typical 10 nights cruise in Mediterranean starts around $13-14+k CAD for veranda cabin. For example:

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/SPL200616/summary

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY200604/summary

Similar cruise on Oceania veranda room is around $5,500 CAD. For example:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Mediterranean-cruises/athens-to-venice-RVA200619/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2020|06%23destinations%3Dmediterranean%23ships%3DMNA%2CRVA%23cruiseLengths%3DEightToTen%2CElevenToFourteen

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Mediterranean-cruises/venice-to-barcelona-RVA200629/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23sailDates%3D2020|06%23destinations%3Dmediterranean%23ships%3DMNA%2CRVA%23cruiseLengths%3DEightToTen%2CElevenToFourteen

Lets add items:

Business class flight - ~$3000 CAD

Beverage package - ~$500 CAD

Excursions - ~$1,000 CAD

Gratuities - ~$200 CAD

Total: around $4,700 CAD

That brings the total cost of Oceania cruise in veranda cabin to just over $10k CAD. This is still significantly less than Regent.

If compared to mass market lines like Celebrity or Princess, the difference will be much more, but this is not really apples to apples comparison.

With Oceania you still get:

• no crowds
  • no queues
  • no rush
  • no ship's photographers
  • no extra charges for speciality restaurants, specialty coffees or teas etc.

So what makes Regent so much better that justifies the extra $3-4k cost? 

But we wouldn’t go for a Veranda cabin on Oceania. We would at least go for a penthouse suite.  Veranda cabin on Oceania is not equivalent to the lowest cabin on Regent.  And your excursion cost is on the low side.  Plus we have free laundry on Regent (not everyone does, but it counts toward the cost).

Edited by RachelG

43 minutes ago, RachelG said:

But we wouldn’t go for a Veranda cabin on Oceania. We would at least go for a penthouse suite.  Veranda cabin on Oceania is not equivalent to the lowest cabin on Regent.  And your excursion cost is on the low side.  Plus we have free laundry on Regent (not everyone does, but it counts toward the cost).

I compared veranda to veranda. Veranda on Oceania is 240 sqft plus 50 sqft balcony. veranda on Regent is 219 sqft plus 88 sqft balcony, so the room itself is actually slightly bigger on Oceania. On 10 night cruise you have around 8 ports typically, $125 per excursion is pretty typical. And penthouse suite on Oceania would be equivalent to Superior Suite on Regent, and the gap will be even larger. 

Bag of laundry is around $50, not really material when you pay $26k+ for a couple. 

So still trying to understand the math when people say that cost will be almost the same when you consider all inclusions.

Some example would be helpful.

I don’t know where you are seeing 219 sq ft as the size of a Veranda on Regent.  If it even exists, we would not sail in that small a cabin.  The lowest level cabins on regent voyager are 306 sp ft I believe.  

Penthouse suite on Oceania is equivalent to the lowest level suite on regent voyager.  Maybe not on the other ships.  

1 minute ago, RachelG said:

I don’t know where you are seeing 219 sq ft as the size of a Veranda on Regent.  If it even exists, we would not sail in that small a cabin.  The lowest level cabins on regent voyager are 306 sp ft I believe.  

Penthouse suite on Oceania is equivalent to the lowest level suite on regent voyager.  Maybe not on the other ships.  

Agree, I was just writing about that. I'm not going to quibble with AK1004 analysis, but every time I've done the Oceania vs Regent analysis ( with comparable suites size) , Oceania is about 5-10% less( at best). I rather go in Regent where everybody has the same inclusions. 

54 minutes ago, RachelG said:

I was referring to Explorer - https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Seven-Seas-Explorer

To me, I couldn't care less if the cabin is 200 sqft or 400 sqft. I don't go on cruise to spend time in the cabin. I only sleep and take shower in the cabin. But I understand that everyone has different priorities.

image.png.a321dcaec026facae851a835dd95b5a6.png

47 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Agree, I was just writing about that. I'm not going to quibble with AK1004 analysis, but every time I've done the Oceania vs Regent analysis ( with comparable suites size) , Oceania is about 5-10% less( at best). I rather go in Regent where everybody has the same inclusions. 

I would gladly try Regent if the difference was only 5-10%, or even 20%. I just don't see how this is possible. Could you give an example please?

On 4/19/2019 at 3:09 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Keep in mind that, while Silversea is a lovely cruise line, it is VERY formal. We sailed on Silversea three times and found the food and service to be good but the crew and passengers were no where near Regent’s level of warmth and congenitally.  

That might be an issue for me.  I'm NOT a "formal" person -- I haven't worn a long dress since my senior recital in 2006 (vocal performance major).  I found RSSC to be about the perfect level of "classy" but not overly dressy even on "formal optional" nights.  Nice dress slacks and a sparkly top with appropriate shoes and jewelry are about as far as I'm willing to go.  And I felt so very comfortable and "at home" on the Mariner last fall -- met so many people, several of whom I'm in contact with even 6 months post cruise.  One of the real treats were the "block parties" --  what a nice idea and a great way to meet and get to know one's neighbors over a glass of wine and hors d'oeuvres.  

I look at itinerary first, then cost/amenities/etc.  I'll keep scanning HAL (they do some things really nicely -- but overall onboard experience seems to be slipping even in just the past couple of years), keep an eye on Silversea and other "luxury" lines, but I have a feeling that Regent will win out in the end due to the overall experience.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Ak1004, Look at the Alaska cruises.  Apples to apples.  June12.  Both 7 day cruises.  Cruise only on Oceania in a penthouse is $4599.  On Regent $6199, but with $600 credit for airfare, that brings it to $5599 and excursions, drinks, and tips are included.  So no significant difference to Regent being slightly better deal.  I sail both Regent and Oceania, currently have cruises scheduled on both.  Once I got over thinking Oceania was less expensive, I was fine.

Edited by RachelG

41 minutes ago, RachelG said:

The Explorer has some small cabins.  A veranda suite H is listed as 219 sq ft with 88 sq ft balcony.  I am not aware of such small cabins on the other Regent ships. All of the veranda suites categories are small:   https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_explorer/suites

Ok,now I see the H category on Explorer.  It is tiny.  As I recall our TA saying, it was originally meant to be a single person cabin.  I could definitely do that if sailing as a single, but with my husband, no way.  He needs his space.  We both work while onboard any ship, so need a bit of space.

11 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Ak1004, Look at the Alaska cruises.  Apples to apples.  June12.  Both 7 day cruises.  Cruise only on Oceania in a penthouse is $4599.  On Regent $6199, but with $600 credit for airfare, that brings it to $5599 and excursions, drinks, and tips are included.  So no significant difference to Regent being slightly better deal.  I sail both Regent and Oceania, currently have cruises scheduled on both.  Once I got over thinking Oceania was less expensive, I was fine.

I see, you are right. But 6199 on Regent is on the low end, most Alaska cruises are close to $8k. And yes, if you compare Regent veranda to Oceania penthouse suite, you are right. But even this comparison for most European cruise, Regent is still at least 2k more.

Just now, RachelG said:

Ok,now I see the H category on Explorer.  It is tiny.  As I recall our TA saying, it was originally meant to be a single person cabin.  I could definitely do that if sailing as a single, but with my husband, no way.  He needs his space.  We both work while onboard any ship, so need a bit of space.

Of course - matter of priorities.

So assuming that Regent cabins are larger and better, for someone like me who doesn't care much about the cabin - in which areas would you say Regent has an edge over Oceania? We found the food and the service on Riviera excellent, but entertainment and daily activities mediocre.

I'm not generally comparing cruise line - to cruise line except on the World Cruise due primarily to the overall cost.  If I'm dropping an amount that exceeds the cost of my first house in the SF Bay area, I'm going definitely going to be looking at overall cost considerations, and for me, RSSC won that comparison easily.

Each of us has our own criteria by which we assess cost vs quality.  I'm much more interested in the anticipated onboard experience, the service level, the food/wine quality, etc.  Those are MY critical components since I do spend quite a lot of time onboard.  

I have some physical challenges that make port visits a crap shoot at best, and impossible in some cases.  I'd rather not put myself at risk for a major medical issue when avoiding that possibility is easy and comfortable by simply staying onboard the ship, and enjoying the ship's ambiance.

Each of us approaches cruise travel with our own specific criteria for assessing the economy of a particular cruise/line/itinerary.  So far, I've cruised ONLY HAL and RSSC.  I have a short cruise booked on Oceania this summer to "test the waters" there.  For longer cruises (> 21 days), Regent wins out in nearly every category.  In shorter itineraries, HAL is still a strong contender due to the quality of their itineraries and lower coast, even if the onboard experience suffers by comparison.  I want to feel welcomed, pampered, and accepted regardless of how much time I spend onboard (On my 3 HAL cruises so far, I was subjected to comments from both staff and passengers about my reluctance to book excursions before I've seen the logistics involved in actually DOING the excursion -- some excursions are simply impossible and I can't know for sure until I've seen the port/etc. -- I NEVER experienced anything even remotely similar on RSSC.)  

RSSC is not for everyone.  HAL is not for everyone.  Oceania is not for everyone.  I talk to friends I trust, read up on Cruise Critic, and trust my own instincts before I book with a "new" cruise line, and then book something that is familiar enough that I can make a fair comparison (Alaska in the case of Oceania). Do your research, run the numbers, and decide if the risk with worth the potential reward.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1

I think that food on both Regent and Oceania is good to excellent.  Not a lot of difference there.  And as far as onboard activities, not much difference.  Entertainment is slightly better on Regent, particularly if you are comparing to the smaller Oceania ships. 

Both lines work work for us.  Like I said, once I got over thinking I could save money sailing on Oceania, I was fine with either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

That might be an issue for me.  I'm NOT a "formal" person -- I haven't worn a long dress since my senior recital in 2006 (vocal performance major).  I found RSSC to be about the perfect level of "classy" but not overly dressy even on "formal optional" nights.  Nice dress slacks and a sparkly top with appropriate shoes and jewelry are about as far as I'm willing to go.  And I felt so very comfortable and "at home" on the Mariner last fall -- met so many people, several of whom I'm in contact with even 6 months post cruise.  One of the real treats were the "block parties" --  what a nice idea and a great way to meet and get to know one's neighbors over a glass of wine and hors d'oeuvres.  

I look at itinerary first, then cost/amenities/etc.  I'll keep scanning HAL (they do some things really nicely -- but overall onboard experience seems to be slipping even in just the past couple of years), keep an eye on Silversea and other "luxury" lines, but I have a feeling that Regent will win out in the end due to the overall experience.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

We spent 28 days on Silversea last year and did not find them “very formal” at all. In fact, except for requiring jackets in the Italian specialty restaurant, there was little or no difference in passenger dress code which was mostly resort casual each night. Never saw ladies with long evening gowns either. Yes, they have formal nights but it is optional in terms of formal wear, just jackets for men. In terms of the passengers on Silversea, I agree with Wes. We sail on both Regent and Silversea and there is no difference in passenger congeniality or friendliness since many of these passengers sail on both lines. We also find the crew very similar as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

Yes - I remember when Regent planned on using those suites for solo travelers but we would not stay in one unless it was a short cruise and even then I would likely be unhappy.

In terms of Oceania, if we did not stay in a huge suite, we could not have eaten in specialty restaurants every night.  We cannot tolerate the Terrace Cafe as we feel the food quality is just not there.  We had spaghetti that was apparently “cooked” in cold water and served immediately (they put it a pot of cold water that is on the stove but is no longer hot).  Signing for drinks is a pain and the the partial class system makes my blood boil.

Maybe I’m just grumpy tonight because I’m in California - not my favorite place to be.  Many the Easter bunny will cheer me up.🐰

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

In terms of Oceania, if we did not stay in a huge suite, we could not have eaten in specialty restaurants every night.  We cannot tolerate the Terrace Cafe as we feel the food quality is just not there.  

I guess those were very expensive meals.. Any room can book one visit to each specialty restaurant, and it is my understanding that you can visit more if there is an availability. But we found the MDR food excellent as well.

Here is the cost of our last 10 nights Mediterranean cruise:

Cruise cost in inside cabin - $4,400 CAD or $3,400 USD (OLIFE CHOICE) including flights and beverage package (or $300 USD credit).

Upgrade to business - around $1,000

9 Excursions - $1,150 CAD or $900 USD

Gratuities - $150 USD

Total cost: $5,450 USD

Yes, it was an inside cabin, Who cares? And if you really wanted to upgrade to Penthouse suite, it would be extra $4,000 CAD or $3,100 USD. Which would bring the total cost to $8,500 USD.

Please show me a 10 night Mediterranean cruise on Regent which is even close. The lowest I could find was around $13k.

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I guess those were very expensive meals.. Any room can book one visit to each specialty restaurant, and it is my understanding that you can visit more if there is an availability. But we found the MDR food excellent as well.

Here is the cost of our last 10 nights Mediterranean cruise:

Cruise cost in inside cabin - $4,400 CAD or $3,400 USD (OLIFE CHOICE) including flights and beverage package (or $300 USD credit).

Upgrade to business - around $1,000

9 Excursions - $1,150 CAD or $900 USD

Gratuities - $150 USD

Total cost: $5,450 USD

Yes, it was an inside cabin, Who cares? And if you really wanted to upgrade to Penthouse suite, it would be extra $4,000 CAD or $3,100 USD. Which would bring the total cost to $8,500 USD.

Please show me a 10 night Mediterranean cruise on Regent which is even close. The lowest I could find was around $13k.

Once upon a time we would not have cared about large suites, etc. (we used to stay in Club Meds around the world).  However, once we experienced luxury travel, it is difficult to go backwards.

Assuming that the “air” included on Oceania is still Coach.  Most Regent passengers (not all) want Business Class - especially those of us on the West Coast when it takes 10-12 hours to even get to London (and it takes 2 days to get to South Africa).  So, when you add Business Class to your $8,500 Oceania fare, you’ll need to add a few thousand dollars more.  The $4,500 difference between the fares that you mentioned would be eaten up with airfare - unless you don’t mind flying Coach.

Since you like Oceania and it seems to meet/exceed your requirements, I can see no reason to sail on Regent.  

50 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Once upon a time we would not have cared about large suites, etc. (we used to stay in Club Meds around the world).  However, once we experienced luxury travel, it is difficult to go backwards.

Assuming that the “air” included on Oceania is still Coach.  Most Regent passengers (not all) want Business Class - especially those of us on the West Coast when it takes 10-12 hours to even get to London (and it takes 2 days to get to South Africa).  So, when you add Business Class to your $8,500 Oceania fare, you’ll need to add a few thousand dollars more.  The $4,500 difference between the fares that you mentioned would be eaten up with airfare - unless you don’t mind flying Coach.

Since you like Oceania and it seems to meet/exceed your requirements, I can see no reason to sail on Regent.  

As I mentioned, the cost included upgrade to business. We always fly business on flights longer than 5-6 hours.

if we took business at the beginning, it would be another 2k USD, which would bring the cost to just over $10k.

and yes, we were upgraded to suite once, on Princess. It was definitely nice, but would I pay extra $10k for it? No way. But again, I understand everyone is different.

13 hours ago, Focused1 said:

We spent 28 days on Silversea last year and did not find them “very formal” at all. In fact, except for requiring jackets in the Italian specialty restaurant, there was little or no difference in passenger dress code which was mostly resort casual each night. Never saw ladies with long evening gowns either. Yes, they have formal nights but it is optional in terms of formal wear, just jackets for men. In terms of the passengers on Silversea, I agree with Wes. We sail on both Regent and Silversea and there is no difference in passenger congeniality or friendliness since many of these passengers sail on both lines. We also find the crew very similar as well. 

We've sailed twice on Silverseas, with one more coming up in September, and have never found them to be "formal".  I can't remember for the first cruise, but our last cruise on Silverseas I didn't even pack a jacket, and I won't pack one for the Sept. cruise.  (Granted, all were expedition cruises, but hey,...).  I bring along a jacket on RSSC, and remember that I only wore it once for dinner at Prime 7.  

OTOH, we're not very formal people, and just avoid the main dining rooms for "formal" nights on RSSC, occasionally opting for room service - which can be great since you can order from the Compass Rose menu.  But each to their own.

I can’t imagine sailing in an inside cabin, but we have friends who do all the time.  I just think I would miss a lot, as I don’t want to have to leave the cabin to see the scenery all the time.  Just like I would have my master bedroom with no windows at home.

Everyone has his own opinion!

However, each reason must first examine his/her pocketbook then examine the fit. Stop making price comparasions. 

Regent is simply not for everyone. 

We sail Regent because it fits our purse and our desires. For us, if it’s not broken, don’t try to fix it.

Thats why there are so many cruise lines to choose from.

Each person should pick the one that fits him/her best. 

Sheila

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

I can’t imagine sailing in an inside cabin, but we have friends who do all the time.  I just think I would miss a lot, as I don’t want to have to leave the cabin to see the scenery all the time.  Just like I would have my master bedroom with no windows at home.

When we are on a cruise ship, we spend time mostly in ports. Then we come back to the cabin, take a shower, go to dinner and show, then come back to sleep. For me, the bed has to be comfortable, with good bedding, and shower has to have good pressure. Size cabin? I really couldn't care less. And I want to see what's happening outside, I go to the deck.

Comparison to master bedroom is not really apples to apples.

47 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Everyone has his own opinion!

However, each reason must first examine his/her pocketbook then examine the fit. Stop making price comparasions. 

Regent is simply not for everyone. 

We sail Regent because it fits our purse and our desires. For us, if it’s not broken, don’t try to fix it.

Thats why there are so many cruise lines to choose from.

Each person should pick the one that fits him/her best. 

Sheila

Every smart consumer makes comparisons. Even on this board.

To me, it's not matter of if I can afford (I wouldn't be wasting my time on Regent board if I couldn't), but matter if I can justify the expense. What triggered my question was some people mentioning that difference between Oceania and Regent is 5-10%. This is simply not the case as I showed in my calculations.

Even when comparing Oceania Penthouse Suite with Regent, you get at least 30-40% difference (5,600 cruise only, 3,000 business class flight, ~1,500 excursions, beverages and gratuities - around 10k total, compared to 13-15k similar cruise on Regent). And if you are willing to be in a smaller cabin (still around 240 sqft), it's basically half price.

So yes, everyone has his own opinion, but we should stick to the facts. If people are willing to pay 30-50% more for a comparable cabin on Regent, that's perfectly their choice, but those are the numbers. Not 5-10%.

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

When we are on a cruise ship, we spend time mostly in ports. Then we come back to the cabin, take a shower, go to dinner and show, then come back to sleep. For me, the bed has to be comfortable, with good bedding, and shower has to have good pressure. Size cabin? I really couldn't care less. And I want to see what's happening outside, I go to the deck.

To me, it's not matter of if I can afford (I wouldn't be wasting my time on Regent board if I couldn't), but matter if I can justify the expense. What triggered my question was some people mentioning that difference between Oceania and Regent is 5-10%. This is simply not the case as I showed in my calculations.

Even when comparing Oceania Penthouse Suite with Regent, you get at least 30-40% difference (5,600 cruise only, 3,000 business class flight, ~1,500 excursions, beverages and gratuities - around 10k total, compared to 13-15k similar cruise on Regent). And if you are willing to be in a smaller cabin (still around 240 sqft), it's basically half price.

So yes, everyone has his own opinion, but we should stick to the facts. If people are willing to pay 30-50% more for a comparable cabin on Regent, that's perfectly their choice, but those are the numbers. Not 5-10%.

I really don’t know if your numbers are correct. However, we had sailed on Oceania before Regent and never looked back. 

We are smart consumers and comparison shop for most things. But, not for our special journeys. Too much to enjoy, too much to see, too little time left to do it. 

Sheila

17 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Many cruises have multiple days at sea, not a port every day ( maybe you dont take those). Many times its nice to retreat to your own spacious cabin and balcony rather than remain on deck. 

If you've made your calculations, and you're so sure that they're correct and that they prove your point, I guess you should go with Oceania. Rachel G gave you an apples to apples comparison in post #34 that proves otherwise. I just know that in several instances, for  itineraries Ive been interested in, Ive made the analysis(keeping cabin sizes comparable) and difference (to me) has been negligible.