compensation

moonstone01

I am cruising to Bermuda in September.  Being that Bermuda is our only port, what would happen if weather made it to bad to go there?  Has anyone ever had this happen?   Being that its the only port we are going to on a 6 day cruise.

37 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Hi NBT,

But one thing that I'm learning from all this .............

In the past you've used the legal rights of folk who book from the UK as a reason for the much higher fares that we are charged.

I took that to mean the safety-net of the Assoc of British Travel Agents' codes of practice and their members' legal obligation to maintain a fund to repatriate and compensate folk in the event of a member going belly-up, etc. That's a good safety-net, but not worthy of the large difference in cruise fares.

I'm now coming to realise that US law is woefully lacking in consumer protection, and that the legal protections in the UK and EU are worth that premium.

JB :classic_smile:  

I have no objection to reasonable statutes - and am not sufficiently familiar with UK’s approach to go into detail.

I am genuinely curious about the reported difference in cruise fares.  Is the price differential on a particular sailing really significant? If the higher prices are not justified by the safety net, what is their basis?  If it is simply discriminatory pricing based upon residence of the customer,  I would think that the most fundamental consumer protection regulation should come into play.   

If if it is due to some application of VAT - or other government charge -that is simply the way things are,  and is not really a matter for CC discussion.

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have no objection to reasonable statutes - and am not sufficiently familiar with UK’s approach to go into detail.

I am genuinely curious about the reported difference in cruise fares.  Is the price differential on a particular sailing really significant? If the higher prices are not justified by the safety net, what is their basis?  If it is simply discriminatory pricing based upon residence of the customer,  I would think that the most fundamental consumer protection regulation should come into play.   

If if it is due to some application of VAT - or other government charge -that is simply the way things are,  and is not really a matter for CC discussion.

In the past price differentials have been huge, enough to warrant Europeans using US travel agents to book US ships and make significant savings - though significant changes in currency exchange rates muddy the comparisons.

For whatever reason not such big differences these days - some folk still use US TAs but we find that late-late bookings on UK ships give better value.

If you re-read my post, you'll see that I've come round to your way of thinking - the safety net is much bigger than I'd imagined cos I hadn't realised just how badly US cruise lines can legally treat their US passengers.

Discriminatory pricing? Maybe, maybe not - though Aussies do seem to pay even more than us Brits despite their consumer laws being similar to ours.

But UK courts have no jurisdiction over what foreign businesses charge, only over misrepresentation of prices. So there's no consumer protection over predatory pricing. 

Nothing to do with VAT -  cruises are treated as "transport" and are zero-rated (ie no tax)

JB :classic_smile:

On 4/23/2019 at 12:20 AM, Toofarfromthesea said:

Having gone through the that I just want to mention that there was discussion a while back of a particular trip insurance policy that paid a flat amount for any missed port.  I don't recall the details but maybe someone who does will chime in.

Mi insurance policy pays out £100 per person for a missed port, but only if the ship does not actually dock/anchor at the specific port. In other words,  if the ship is at anchor,  but pax cannot go ashore on the tenders due to bad weather, no compensation is due. 

You are not owed (nor do you deserve) compensation for a missed port. However, you should have had your port fees refunded, as well as a refund for any shore excursions that you might have booked through the cruise line. 

Edited by h_blond2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, h_blond2 said:

You are not owed (nor do you deserve) compensation for a missed port. However, you should have had your port fees refunded, as well as a refund for any shore excursions that you might have booked through the cruise line. 

Which post/poster are you replying to?