Venice Marco Polo Airport

mar915

I heard from one person that the airport is a mess. They talked about waiting to go through the passport area que before going on a flight and that it is a nightmare.

Any insight about the process either time to get bags and time to checkin and get through before departing airport. 

Thanks

Many of us have posted, over the years, about Marco Polo being a poorly run airport (at least inside the terminal).  One never knows what to expect at that airport so the best advice is to plan on getting to the airport about 3 hours before your flight.  Those who have been through the place a few times often have anecotes.   Mine happened many years ago when USAIR was still a major airline.  We had a 10am flight to Philadelphia so figured we better get to the airport around 7.  That was a pain since it meant leaving the ship very early (we don't do good...early).  But we did get to the airport around 7 and there already was a queue at the USAIR counter.  But, the counter was closed with no employees in sight.  At 8:30 there were probably around 200 folks in the line and still the counter was closed.  A little after 9, two local employees arrived and very slowly opened up the counter.  By 10am (our scheduled departure time) at least half the line still had not been processed.  Our flight did not depart until around 11:30....and the crew told us this kind of thing was not unusual.

The last time we arrived at Marco Polo, others on our flight had purchased Venice Passes which they were to pick up at a kiosk located near the main airport exit door.   But alas, that kiosk was not open (another airport employee told folks that the person who staffed that counter had been out sick for a few days).  It never did open and we assume those folks were later able to get their passes at another office in town.  Perhaps things have improved in recent years but we would not hold our breath.

Hank

yes the problem with check in desks not opening until an hour or so before flight is very common particularly inter Europe flights

Even if you have checked in online still have to use bag drop which needs to be manned-

So you turn up in plenty of time and find closed desks queues of people with luggage , very little to do and not even enough places to sit

Then when you have eventually been able to get rid of your luggage it can be a long process through passport control and worrying whether you will make your flight

We have a 1:20 flight home after our NCL Star cruise in August.  We are looking into booking a private taxi to the airport, picking us up at 9:30.  We figured we would be at the airport by 10, leaving us over 3 hours to get to our flight.  Does this sound reasonable?  

20 minutes ago, pe4all said:

We have a 1:20 flight home after our NCL Star cruise in August.  We are looking into booking a private taxi to the airport, picking us up at 9:30.  We figured we would be at the airport by 10, leaving us over 3 hours to get to our flight.  Does this sound reasonable?  

Yes, sounds very reasonable.

2 hours ago, pamp0227 said:

We will be in Venice on 05/06 and I'm still trying to decide on transportation from our hotel to the airport. Which private taxi service are you using and would you mine sharing the cost?

Thank you.

I am very impressed with Venice Taxi Airport.  I wrote to them a few hours ago to get a quote, along with some questions I had.  I just received a reply answering all my questions.  From the cruise ship to the airport is 60 euro for 3 of us, including luggage and taxes.  The driver will meet us holding a sign with our names on it as we leave the ship.  I would go to their website and email them from there, as I did :  www.venicetaxiairport.com  

Alberto was great in answering, and we will probably book with him tomorrow.  

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, pe4all said:

I am very impressed with Venice Taxi Airport.  I wrote to them a few hours ago to get a quote, along with some questions I had.  I just received a reply answering all my questions.  From the cruise ship to the airport is 60 euro for 3 of us, including luggage and taxes.  The driver will meet us holding a sign with our names on it as we leave the ship.  I would go to their website and email them from there, as I did :  www.venicetaxiairport.com  

Alberto was great in answering, and we will probably book with him tomorrow.  

Thanks for the tip!