Help me decide between two European itineraries

prish

We are currently booked on the Apex May 20, 2020 Barcelona to Civitavecchia sailing. I see that the sailing prior to this one, on May 10, has several ports in Spain we haven’t been to. The two itineraries are as follows:

May 10: Southampton, Le Havre, Bilbao, la Coruna, Lisbon, Gibraltar, Cartagena and Barcelona 

May 20: Barcelona, Alicante, Gibraltar, Cadiz, Sete, Toulon, Ajaccio, la Spezia and Civitavecchia 

Which one would you choose and why? I don’t know very much about some of the ports in the first itinerary, what is there to see in Bilbao, la Coruna and Cartagena? On the second itinerary we were looking forward to Cadiz for Seville, but apart from that don’t believe there’s very much in and around Alicante. We have been to most of the other ports in the second itinerary, but of course there’s always so much more to see in France and Italy.

Price-wise the first one is about $300 cheaper, but that won’t be the deciding factor, our decision will be based on the ports. Both sailings are for 10 nights and similar sunset verandah cabins available. What do you say, always appreciate your suggestions and comments. Thanks in advance 😊

Edited by prish

Second one as I prefer the ports and would rather spend a few days pre cruise in Barcelona and post in Rome rather than Southampton. Also the Bay of Biscay can be hit or miss regarding the seas. La Spezia is great for accessing Cinque Terre - well worth a visit. We weren't impressed with Cartagena and le Havre is quite a distance from Paris if you were considering a visit there. Cadiz is a nice place and as you say, close to Seville. 

• Like 1

I agree with Villauk, I would prefer the second cruise.   Sailing through the Bay of Biscay probably isn't going to be warm and may likely be a little rough.  Both have Barcelona as an end point so that's a wash if you want to spend time before or after in Barcelona.  Barcelona is one of my favorite cities.  Neither set of ports really inspires me so that's a wash.  We've just spent a week in London before our last cruise, so we would likely enjoy Rome more than London at this point.  It might be different for you, both are great places to visit.  But avoiding the 2 day sail to the Mediterranean, would still favor the second cruise for me.

Both Itineraries have plus points! From Southampton there would be sea days which I enjoy...... Le Havre is well placed for Normandy - Rouen for example also train travel to Paris. On visiting Toulon we visited the nearby beaches which were lovely....Lisbon and Bilbao are both great cities. La Coruna was quieter but I knew an ex pupil was living there so we arranged a meet up so I didn't see much of the area . Gibraltar if you haven't been before has its attractions. To end the cruise in Barcelona means you could have a few days post cruise there  - a great city. 

The other cruise has the advantage of ports for Rome and Florence. Corsica - I really liked too. 

I think we have cruised together as I recognise your name.....the British Isles cruise I think in 2017? Will never forget the fabulous sail in and out of Liverpool!  hope whichever cruise you choose you have a great time 🙂

Helen 

Don't forget that May can still be very cool if you start out of Southampton and the Bay of Biscay can be very rough, that's true. We have done a similar itinerary twice in two years and would have preferred to be more southernly as we couldn't use our balcony much.

It also depends a bit where your interests lie: Many who choose Le Havre as one of the ports either go to Paris ( not advisable at the moment) or to the Normandy beaches ( yes, I know, there is muich more to be see, for example Monet's Gardens!). Lisbon, too, is a wonderful city to explore.Cartagena is interesting because of its ancient ruins and views from the castle.

On the other hand, La Spezia is a great port to explore Cinque Terre , Corsica is beautiful at that time of year, as is the South of France. Cadiz offers enough for a day without taking on the long drive to Sevilla.

It really depends a bit on your interests and if you have been to these areas before.

Thank you all for your opinions and comments. Yes, I agree that the French and Italian ports have so much to offer. But we have been to Italy many times, including land tours, and we spent more than two weeks in Provence last June... Which is why I’m considering the Southampton-Barcelona itinerary.

We will in any case spend 3-4 days in Barcelona, whichever sailing we do. Plus probably a couple of days in Salisbury and Winchester. Am fine with Le Havre, we’ll rent a car and drive to either Giverny or Etretat as we’ve done the DDay beaches before and Paris is too far for a day trip.

My main concern is the Bay of Biscay, I know it can be quite choppy! That apart I quite like the ports, especially Lisbon, and Bilbao and la Coruna aren’t places we’d normally go to. Gibraltar is common to both cruises. This will be an extended family vacation, so will run it by the others also.

Helen, you’re right, we were on the BI cruise in 2017. And I do remember the sail away from Liverpool, with the band on the dock playing Beatles numbers! 

Thanks again, I do so appreciate your taking the time to help me figure things out.