Carnival Fascination review

beshears

For anyone that has questions, or want to read the review I wrote on the Fascination, it is on CC Titled as: After 20 years, back to see some ports!

I know a lot of people do not like a smaller ship, and older as well, but this ship turned out perfect for us, as I have been on much larger ships.

25 minutes ago, beshears said:

For anyone that has questions, or want to read the review I wrote on the Fascination, it is on CC Titled as: After 20 years, back to see some ports!

I know a lot of people do not like a smaller ship, and older as well, but this ship turned out perfect for us, as I have been on much larger ships.

I saw your review yesterday since I get email notifications on the Southern itinerary/Fascination since I'd love to do that itinerary out of San Juan again.  We did it on Valor and again on Liberty, but would not hesitate to book it on Fascination.  I've seen it mentioned frequently that lines aren't as bad and it doesn't seem as crowded, which would be a plus for me.

I was so sorry to hear about your friend and hope she's on the mend.  Thank you for taking the time do do a review. 

Pghsteelerfan, I'm glad you were able to read my review.  My reviews are not as interesting, as some, but I try to cover most of the basis in regard to the ship, if at all possible.

Yes, the itinerary was great, and I just wish my friend had been able to enjoy it like I "normally" would have. After the 3rd day, I became "Nurse Brenda,", but that is alright.  That is what being a friend is all about. Actually I am still Nurse Brenda (I'm about ready to "change" my name 🙂) with my husband, as he got home (I didn't know he had been in the hospital while I was gone) the next day from being in the hospital and having surgery.  Thank God, he is starting to make progress, and that is the important thing.

As I said, I have done many cruises, mainly medium and large ships, but I really liked this one.  The itinerary was great, and a person would really need to be on the go a lot with 6 ports, unless they chose to not check out all the ports like ourselves.  I have been to San Juan several times, as well as St. Thomas, and love both of them as well. Twenty years ago I was not impressed with St. Kitts, but I seen a different St. Kitts this time, and I really liked it.  St. Maarten as well. 

We were at a table of 10 people (normally I like a 6 or 8 people table), and there was a lot of talk, but at times it was hard to hear, as we were more spread out, than at a smaller table. I am planning (we all exchanged our email addresses) on writing them, and trying to touch basis with each of them.  Actually two of the people at our table, stayed on the ship, as they were going to do the itinerary again.

By the ship being a smaller ship, it seemed like several people knew (actually I had got out of the van at one of the ports, while Carol stayed inside, and while taking pictures, we got talking, and the people said they were there at one of the other ports, and seen Carol's accident, and was asking about her) of Carols accident, and it just seemed like most people from ship personnel, to guests were just concerned in Carols welfare.  I can only say I feel the doctor and staff went way beyond what I would have expected them to do for a guest, but then.........that is my opinion.🙂

3 hours ago, beshears said:

Could you post the link to your review?

We sailed on the Fascination a few summers ago, before the refurbishment. Agree about wonderful ports. We found that as a small ship, you really got to know others on board, both fellow passengers and even crew members. 

Yes could you please link the review! We have this ship and ports booked for 03/29/2020 and I love to read and research all that I can on the ship and ports! We just got off the Horizon about a week ago (that was a fabulous trip), we have also sailed on magic (my favorite ship) and Fantasy, Elation and Ecstasy (Hubby love this class).

Couple of questions if you don't mind I think I read that Fascination recently  went into drydock did they add a big screen on lido by chance?  We love the movies under the stars! Also the photos are they on the app like the newer ships or do you still find them on this ship? I liked the old way because you could get sizes other than 8x10s! I love the "fun size"

Thank you

Tara

First, sorry but I am not computer savvy.  If you Google Carnival Fascination Member reviews, that will get you to the start of the area.  Then click on this, and there will be different headings.  Click on Reviews.  My review is the 2nd one down, starting with the title: Seeing ports after 20 years, and checking out St. Lucia.

I'll be honest.  I don't remember seeing a movie screen on this ship, but there could have been one.  My friend had a bad accident on the 3rd day of our trip, and things went down from there on, but we did make it, but very slowly.  As for the photos, yes they are done the old/original way, which I like you, prefer to choose from, and see/check out.

9 hours ago, beshears said:

First, sorry but I am not computer savvy.  If you Google Carnival Fascination Member reviews, that will get you to the start of the area.  Then click on this, and there will be different headings.  Click on Reviews.  My review is the 2nd one down, starting with the title: Seeing ports after 20 years, and checking out St. Lucia.

I'll be honest.  I don't remember seeing a movie screen on this ship, but there could have been one.  My friend had a bad accident on the 3rd day of our trip, and things went down from there on, but we did make it, but very slowly.  As for the photos, yes they are done the old/original way, which I like you, prefer to choose from, and see/check out.

Here you go;

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=654792

I had previously asked for the link, and now found it with the information youo gave.

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed your time on the Fascination.  I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's accident.  I am happy that the medical and other staff were diligent and capable.  Here's hoping she recovers fully and can cruise again. 

16 hours ago, Cricket551 said:

Yes could you please link the review! We have this ship and ports booked for 03/29/2020 and I love to read and research all that I can on the ship and ports! We just got off the Horizon about a week ago (that was a fabulous trip), we have also sailed on magic (my favorite ship) and Fantasy, Elation and Ecstasy (Hubby love this class).

Couple of questions if you don't mind I think I read that Fascination recently  went into drydock did they add a big screen on lido by chance?  We love the movies under the stars! Also the photos are they on the app like the newer ships or do you still find them on this ship? I liked the old way because you could get sizes other than 8x10s! I love the "fun size"

Thank you

Tara

Sorry, no big screen on Lido.  They do show movies during the day in the Puttin' On The Ritz lounge.  I realize this is not the same as MUTS. 

Thanks for the review !!

On 4/22/2019 at 2:30 PM, beshears said:

Pghsteelerfan, I'm glad you were able to read my review.  My reviews are not as interesting, as some, but I try to cover most of the basis in regard to the ship, if at all possible.

Yes, the itinerary was great, and I just wish my friend had been able to enjoy it like I "normally" would have. After the 3rd day, I became "Nurse Brenda,", but that is alright.  That is what being a friend is all about. Actually I am still Nurse Brenda (I'm about ready to "change" my name 🙂) with my husband, as he got home (I didn't know he had been in the hospital while I was gone) the next day from being in the hospital and having surgery.  Thank God, he is starting to make progress, and that is the important thing.

As I said, I have done many cruises, mainly medium and large ships, but I really liked this one.  The itinerary was great, and a person would really need to be on the go a lot with 6 ports, unless they chose to not check out all the ports like ourselves.  I have been to San Juan several times, as well as St. Thomas, and love both of them as well. Twenty years ago I was not impressed with St. Kitts, but I seen a different St. Kitts this time, and I really liked it.  St. Maarten as well. 

We were at a table of 10 people (normally I like a 6 or 8 people table), and there was a lot of talk, but at times it was hard to hear, as we were more spread out, than at a smaller table. I am planning (we all exchanged our email addresses) on writing them, and trying to touch basis with each of them.  Actually two of the people at our table, stayed on the ship, as they were going to do the itinerary again.

By the ship being a smaller ship, it seemed like several people knew (actually I had got out of the van at one of the ports, while Carol stayed inside, and while taking pictures, we got talking, and the people said they were there at one of the other ports, and seen Carol's accident, and was asking about her) of Carols accident, and it just seemed like most people from ship personnel, to guests were just concerned in Carols welfare.  I can only say I feel the doctor and staff went way beyond what I would have expected them to do for a guest, but then.........that is my opinion.🙂

Brenda, all reviews are beneficial to many.  🙂  I will have to admit that when I first heard that Carnival was going to have Fascination take over the itinerary out of San Juan, I was a little disappointed (the original plan was for Victory to take over the itinerary out of San Juan after Carnival Liberty).  I saw so many complaints about the smaller, older ships and even saw comments from others change their minds about the southern itinerary out of San Juan because they didn't want to do it on Fascination.  But reviews like yours with details have me rethinking that disappointment.  A smaller ship like Fascination sounds like it would be a be a great fit for me.  We live in a suburb of a larger city but I long for the "small town" community feel of where I grew up in western PA.  Maybe cruise ships are the same way since I see complaints about the crowds/behavior of other passengers on the larger ships but don't see quite as many about fellow passengers on smaller ships.  I'm definitely not a fan of crowds.  Lol!!! 

Your friend and now your poor husband?  I'm sure that also put a damper on things for you as well, unless you didn't find out about that until you got back.  But taking on the roll of nurse, I think I can relate.  I was "Nurse Holly" all last summer for my husband, who also needed surgery.  But before he could have that surgery, I had to infuse a daily antibiotic through a picc line, which ended up being six weeks.  He's good to go now.  We had been planning on going on the Glory Journey cruise this past February since friends of ours were on it.  I loved the itinerary (St. Croix; Guadeloupe; Barbados; Martinique; Antigua; St. Maarten; Tortola).  It was a 12 day and my husband didn't have the vacation time after his illness/surgery.  Speaking of itineraries, I would love it if Carnival kept Fascination on the same itinerary out of San Juan and put another Fantasy class ship in San Juan as well but on an itinerary to some of the other less visited islands like Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique, Grenada, St. Croix, Tortola.  I know Carnival is removing Antigua from itineraries but if Antigua don't want the cruise passengers then I understand.  I certainly wouldn't want to visit a place I wasn't wanted. 

I will keep your friend Carol and your husband in my thoughts for full and quick recoveries.

I saw others asking for the link to your review...I just went and found it and have attached the link.  🙂

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=654792

Edited by pghsteelerfan

First, I want to thank each of you that took the time out to read my review, and list the link to get to it. I know I am going around Robin Hood's barn when telling how I do it, but that is how I find a link, until someone puts it out there.  As I said, I am not computer savvy, but I try putting in details in my reviews, that I hope will help others make decisions of the ship/itinerary/room, ports.

Thank you for your concern about my friend Carol who had the bad accident.  We were hoping she would be able to have her surgery sooner, but I gather the doctor (May 2) thinks it doesn't warrant it until this date.  I know she would appreciate your prayers as well.  Yes, my husband being a diabethic, I say he has been God's miracle for a long time without losing eyesight, or a limb.  He was fortunate that it was only a toe, and hopefully he will start taking better care of himself.  He thinks his answer is insulin, but he is learning that is not the only answer to keep his health the way it should be. He is now able to walk without the walker, which is helpful, but the doctor said today he will still be hooked up to the port with the penicillin until about the 15th of May.  I know he doesn't like carrying the machine with him, but this is better than losing a much larger part of his body.

Yes Holly we had M82, so your room won't be far from us.  As for the room, it was amble for us, but I did miss the full/long mirror, and they do not have a refrigerator, but with the ice bucket full, we had no problem. It sounds like we are sharing some similiar things with our husbands, and I'm glad to read that your husband is doing better, and I believe Jim will in time. You mentioned the Carnival Victory.  My pastor and wife are doing this in a couple weeks, and are so excited.  I get excited when I know "anyone" is doing a cruise, as I want them to find out how wonderful it can be, and NOT worry like a lot of people do, like my friend who used to cruise with me.  She is worried of all the different things that have been happening with the cruise ships, and feels this will happen to her.  I tell her I pray and tell everything in God's hands, and up to now, he has taken good care of me and my friends.

If I can be of anymore help to anyone, and I did not answer your question, feel free to ask again.

• Like 2

I think most of the negatives you will read about the Fascination come from folks who have never been on the ship. You will hear it is too small, there is not enough to do, etc. And if you sail with that attitude, you will probably not have a good time. But, if you go intending to have a good time, you will be pleasantly surprised. 

We sailed on the Fascination before it was refurbished and had a great time. The ports were great (no one argues that point). As long as there was a pool, DW was going to be fine. There was plenty of trivia which worked out great for me. And there was music all over the ship. We especially enjoyed the Latin dancing. There was especially a lot of that with the many passengers from Puerto Rico.

In addition the small size made it easy to meet fellow passengers, and even crew members.

When we first looked to book this cruise, we spoke with our TA who was against it (I guess for all the things it is "missing"), but he changed his mind when we definitely wanted to book it. The way we looked at it, there were ports we had never been to and sounded interesting. Plus we each had a $100 use it or lose it credit that was about to expire with an airline that we could use to get to San Juan. (In the summer prior on a flight from Europe back home the airline's entertainment section had gone down on the portion of the plane where we were seated.) And frankly all the bells and whistles being added to ships were not that important to us; we cared more for ports.