Civitavecchia port info

silver1

Hi, please could anyone that has embarked at Civitavecchia let me know what is the best time to arrive at the port please?  We have priority boarding.  Any info on the port will be much appreciated.  Many thanks 

"Best" in what way?

Civi is like any other port. People can be eager to get on board...I know we are, and we have done over 20 cruises. So there will likely be something of a rush at the start of boarding. But if you have priority boarding,  that shouldn't bother you too much.

Arrange your transportation to be able to take you straight to the ship...not all can do that, particularly taxis. As frequently discussed here, if you don't,  you will need to use the free shuttles,  with lugging your bags around. 

12 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Also curious about this, specifically with Jewel of the Seas, wondering how early we can get on...

Royal Caribbean's boarding policy is the same worldwide. If you were able to start boarding at noon elsewhere, you will likely be able to start boarding at noon in Civi.

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Royal Caribbean's boarding policy is the same worldwide. If you were able to start boarding at noon elsewhere, you will likely be able to start boarding at noon in Civi.

We've done Grandeur a few times and our docs say noon but we've been on ss early as 1045, wondering if Civi also has days where this is also the case or if they strictly stick to the time on the docs

I still think this is more an issue of the individual cruise line's policy and not a decision made by the port -- asking the question on the individual cruise line board may yield better info.

That said, I am not sure there is a need to rush to the port -- if you are in Rome, stay and get in another half-day of sightseeing before boarding.  I don't think I've ever gotten to the port to board a ship in Civi any earlier than 2pm and as late as 4pm. I'd rather spend the time ashore...

I think it's a good question too.  I've read that traffic can be bad from Rome to the port.  We decided to book our transportation to Civitavecchia for a pick up at our hotel at 9:30 am.  Between loading the car, traffic to the port and getting through check-in, I figure we'll be waiting around 11:00 am or so.  I don't mind the wait to board since I enjoy people-watching or reading my Kindle 

I've boarded my 30+ cruises anywhere from 10:30 am to after 6:30 pm.  The 6:30 boarding was only because we booked our air to AK through Celebrity, and ran into bad weather.   We ended up dragging three kids through the St  Louis airport to make a connection & hoping elderly parents traveling from FL had made the same connecting flight.  (We were renewing our vows that trip in a church in Sitka).  Celebrity held the ship for a full busload of passengers who were on our plane. We were checked  in onboard in the lobby, but our luggage didn't catch up with us for three days.  That was the last time I bought airfare from a cruiseline or traveled by plane on the same day as departure, by the way.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

"Best" in what way?

Civi is like any other port. People can be eager to get on board...I know we are, and we have done over 20 cruises. So there will likely be something of a rush at the start of boarding. But if you have priority boarding,  that shouldn't bother you too much.

Arrange your transportation to be able to take you straight to the ship...not all can do that, particularly taxis. As frequently discussed here, if you don't,  you wil need to use the free shuttles,  with lugging your bags around. 

Can you arrange transportation to take you directly to the ship at Civi then? I thought we would have to take the shuttle to the gate? Any  info on this  would  be great.  We are sailing on Princess and really want to be among the first to board as I really want to treat myself to the sanctuary 🙂 , We have been to Rome numerous times so am happy to stay overnight at Civi and go out for a nice Italian meal the night before the cruise. 

I made a reservation with the  "partner car service" recommended by RCL, that has authorization to enter the port so I could bypass the shuttle.  I asked a question about drop-off on another thread.  Someone explained to me that many taxis/car leasing services have permits to enter the port to take you to your ship, instead of dropping passengers off at the gate.  CruiseMom's posting:   

• cruisemom42
  • March 12, 2005
  •  
  • 22,614 posts

I'll be a bit more reassuring -- I have read posts from and have talked to folks who have used any number of different private services -- some recommended here and some from other places like Tripadvisor -- and I have only heard a couple of times about someone not getting dropped at their ship/terminal. (Generally those are from providers that were not well vetted to start with...)

Even the 'budget friendly' shared shuttle I have used can do the same. As long as they have a passenger with a ticket to board, they are generally allowed in, assuming no prior problems.

It's the pick-up FROM the ship where there may be a bit more of a question (because the driver doesn't have an obvious passenger). But even then, I've heard of very few problems that were not disclosed in advance by the driver.  And again, the more budget-friendly shuttle I've used has been able to pick up ship-side.

The key is to ask and ensure you get a response.

Edited by Truluv
Adding information