Cabin choice for family of 4

Edieevans

I just booked a cruise on Breakaway for June 2020.  We are taking our two grandchildren.  One will be 13 and the other 10.  We booked a Large Balcony room because we enjoy a large balcony.   I am now thinking it would have been better to book a Family room or a Mini suite.  This will be our first trip in NCL. 

I would appreciate any thoughts from families that have stayed in any of the rooms above and which would be the best for a family of 4.

Breakaway and Getaway have mostly very small balconies along the sides of the ship. The B6 (slightly deeper) and M6 (very deep) are better options.

breakaway333_v-contentgross.jpg

This picture shows how the B6 is deeper than standard and the M6 is deeper than the B6. All of the balcony doors are lined up directly above/below each other so the actual difference in balcony depth is clear.

For aft-facing (can be very, very deep), the only option for 4 is the Haven suites. There are other suite options but most will have a small but wider than standard balcony.

Hi there. 

We have cruised with two of our kids in our cabin on five cruises. One inside with Disney and the other four have been balcony cabins: 1 with Celebrity and 3 with NCL (once on Epic, twice on Escape). Out of all these cabins, the inside with Disney was the most generously sized but then again, the kids were smaller! We find that the NCL cabins themselves are tight for four, especially in the evenings when the additional beds are fully deployed. 

As another poster mentioned, the only difference between balcony and minisuite is a larger bathroom and the balcony will be smaller than your current category so there's no benefit to you switching to minisuite. 

No sure what category you are referring to with family room - I know some of NCL's cabins are called "family" but I believe that generally indicates that they are located close to the kids' club with no real difference in the cabin size itself. 

If you want more space, you are left looking at a suite which I have always found financially unpalatable. You are likely best off staying right where you are, it is nice to have a balcony to escape to and you won't regret having it - particularly the larger one where you can get a lounger or fit more chairs than the standard balcony can. 

Have you considered a 2 room suite

My daughter and I were able to upgrade from balcony to SC and it was very roomy    

the second bedroom is small with a pull out couch and Pullman bunk and a second bathroom

there is also a single bed which is the couch.  The balcony was small with two chase loungers

there is a living room dining area and the  master bedroom and master bath are huge.   The suite would be comfortable for  the 4 of you but 4 adults might be a rough fit.

DSC06864.JPG

DSC07344.JPG

DSC07190.JPG

The prices, it seemed, are very similar between a balcony for 4 and a family oceanview, which sleeps 4, up to 5 and its interior space is much bigger, 40+ sq. ft. more than a balcony ... 

BA's regular (micro-sized) balcony is just pathetic and ultra-small compared to the Escape, and for 4 people sharing, the large balcony isn't necessary a deal maker - ditto for the mini-suite, IMHO.  Compared to the family OV, you get truly more room, a large picture window instead of the balcony - still sharing a single bathroom - they are generally in good mid-ship locations, deck 5. 

There are a # of good YT videos on these cabins, do take a look. 

Edited by mking8288

• 2 weeks later...