Help! Hotels full in FtL on February 1

msteries

18 hours ago, msteries said:

I just booked a cruise on the Koningsdam that departs FT Lauderdale on Feb. 2, 2020.  Turns out that the Superbowl is in Miami area that weekend.  My old favorite, the Hilton Marina FtL is already full on the 1st.  Any suggestions?

You might check on HAL's pre-cruise hotel package - we found ourselves in a similar situation a few years ago and were able to get a very conveniently located hotel through HAL.

9 hours ago, msteries said:

Happy to report that The Riverside had rooms available today.  $40 more than I usually pay at the Hilton Marina, but no price gouging going on.

thank you all for the information!

So glad you found a place!  We love the Riverside-it is close to so many fantastic eating venues on Las Olas Blvd all within walking distance.    They also offer shuttle to cruise port (for a fee but sign up soon as you get there unless you can take Uber or Lyft).  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MJSailors said:

You could try areas a bit out of FLL -.If you have not booked airfare yet, look into flying into West Palm Beach airport. There are a number of hotels in the area including several Hilton brand properties.It would be a bit of a drive to the pier,but hotel rates there may be a bit more reasonable. 

Yours is a good idea.  Op check out this bus company.  I have use them and found them to be good.  I would use them one way down to the cruise.  Because going back there can be a wait for the bus.  When going home I would fly out of Fort L.

https://www.cruiseconnection.travel/rates/ft-lauderdale-miami/

Edited by geocruiser

19 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Yours is a good idea.  Op check out this bus company.  I have use them and found them to be good.  I would use them one way down to the cruise.  Because going back there can be a wait for the bus.  When going home I would fly out of Fort L.

https://www.cruiseconnection.travel/rates/ft-lauderdale-miami/

Thank you,geocruiser  !

I looked at the bus schedule. I did not see any places listed that were near the West Palm Beach (PBI) airport.

It seems that the choices to travel between PBI and the FLL pier are a rental car (I- 95 is close to the airport),a cab / Uber or a town car and driver.

Holland america has 2 options for a 1nt pre-cruise package, and in the case of the 2/2/20 Konigsdam sailing being on SuperBowl weekend it seems their rates may not be totally insane all things given ......

Harbor Beach Marriott Resort - 1nt $445.12

Renaissance Ft Lauderdale Plantation - 1nt $356.70

Totals are for 2 people (not per person) and include all hotel taxes and airport to hotel and hotel to ship transfers.

Both hotel packages are currently available by calling HAL or your travel agent.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Thank you,geocruiser  !

I looked at the bus schedule. I did not see any places listed that were near the West Palm Beach (PBI) airport.

It seems that the choices to travel between PBI and the FLL pier are a rental car (I- 95 is close to the airport),a cab / Uber or a town car and driver.

Steward looks like the closet stop to the pier.  That is about 1.5 hours away from the pier.  If a hotel is really cheaper there it might be worth it.  This is another potion (don't know how good) but what about a GreyHound bus?

30 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Steward looks like the closet stop to the pier.  That is about 1.5 hours away from the pier.  If a hotel is really cheaper there it might be worth it.  This is another potion (don't know how good) but what about a GreyHound bus?

Stuart is a distance from either PBI or FLL airports (arrival points).

IMHO Greyhound bus is not a viable option. 

As we get older, my DH and I consider comfort and safety are high priority when traveling  - YMMV

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Holland america has 2 options for a 1nt pre-cruise package, and in the case of the 2/2/20 Konigsdam sailing being on SuperBowl weekend it seems their rates may not be totally insane all things given ......

Totals are for 2 people (not per person) and include all hotel taxes and airport to hotel and hotel to ship transfers.

Both hotel packages are currently available by calling HAL or your travel agent.

Thanks for sharing this great info.

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Great packages considering the timing of the cruise !

May want to fly into Orlando or West Palm, stay there and rent a car.  Get up the next morning and drive to FLL, drop the luggage with the porters, turn the car in near the port and ride back to the ship.  There are many RAC companies in Florida that do not charge a drop fee.  

2 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

May want to fly into Orlando or West Palm, stay there and rent a car.  Get up the next morning and drive to FLL, drop the luggage with the porters, turn the car in near the port and ride back to the ship.  There are many RAC companies in Florida that do not charge a drop fee.  

Totally agree. You may have written this plan more concisely as I tried to explain in previous posts.

it may be a good idea to stay away from FLL area as it might be.crowded and super busy due to the Super Bowl that weekend.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:23 PM, msteries said:

I just booked a cruise on the Koningsdam that departs FT Lauderdale on Feb. 2, 2020.  Turns out that the Superbowl is in Miami area that weekend.  My old favorite, the Hilton Marina FtL is already full on the 1st.  Any suggestions?

I never book hotels through the cruise line because they charge the rate per person, not per room the way a hotel actually charges normal bookings.  This may be a time you need to speak with the cruise line or your TA about getting the pre-cruise hotel arrangements.  They might still have rooms in their blocks that aren't released yet.

10 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

You can also see about flying into Melbourne air port.  The drive is about 35 minutes less, and most likely less traffic to start from Melbourne.