Back from the Sojourn

rols

Just returned home after 18 days on the Sojourn from Singapore to Shanghai. Great cruise in every way. We had some concerns last summer on Encore that service levels had slipped but apart from a few fairly small and you-'d-have-to-be-picky  issues, this cruise was 100% from start to finish. 

Ross Roberts was our cruise director, we've sailed with him before and he's a Seabourn asset. We were fortunate on this cruise to have Sir Tim Rice and Lord Digby Jones as guests and so we got "An Evening With Tim Rice" actually with Tim Rice and some very entertaining talks from Lord Digby. Somehow we had the Britain's Got Talent 'Jack Pack' for two shows, one on the last night when perhaps it was not an ideal time but they were a superb act. 

Head chef was Lindsay ?? from South Africa and he really ran a great kitchen, we often find the bakery offerings on cruises lack something but they knocked it out of the park here. We enjoyed Earth and Ocean both for the food and service. The cruise constantly highlighted the Thomas Keller tie-up but we thought the best food on the cruise was 'Seabourn food', possibly with the exception of the insanely good Napa Burger at lunch. Seabourn's chefs are more than capable of producing incredible meals without celebrity; in fact I think they do better because they understand better what people fed 5 times a day actually want to eat. 

I will post a full review when I have time to write it. If there are specific questions about this recent cruise I'll try to answer them. We had a lovely time, we met some wonderful people and Seabourn continues to be our favourite cruise line. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Look forward to your review - Ross is a great asset to Seabourn and great entertainer and host 

We enjoyed a cruise with him on Encore last December

Good to hear of the improvement over Encore - I will have to keep an eye out for Sojourn cruises 

We were on Sojourn up to the Maldives and I totally agree with you (I've written a review to that effect)

I just found the staff seemed settled and that translated into excellent service.  Ross the CD was outstanding as were his two assistant CDs.  He was prepared to laugh at himself and just brought out the best in the way of fun from the staff and the passengers.   I hope we have the chance to cruise with him again, he's a real asset.  

I also totally agree with you regarding Lynsey the Executive Chef.  He was prominent (which I've never found before on cruises), approachable and great fun with his cooking demonstrations on deck.  All in all, Sojourn was fantastic for us. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rols said:

. Seabourn's chefs are more than capable of producing incredible meals without celebrity; in fact I think they do better because they understand better what people fed 5 times a day actually want to eat. 

rols, you are so soooo right 👍😀

16 hours ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Lynsey was on the Ody last year and we were very impressed with him.

Just making sure we're talking about the same chef here as I see several posts spelling his name 'Lynsey'. I just checked with Mrs Rols and we're pretty sure his first name was spelt Lindsay or Lindsey and of course we entirely failed to pick up his surname because we didn't write it down. He was from South Africa. 

I don't want to disappoint anyone expecting a different chef, although even if this is a different man you won't be disappointed because he's absolutely great, right on par with the great chef Jes we've enjoyed sailing with a couple of times before. 

15 minutes ago, rols said:

Just making sure we're talking about the same chef here as I see several posts spelling his name 'Lynsey'. I just checked with Mrs Rols and we're pretty sure his first name was spelt Lindsay or Lindsey and of course we entirely failed to pick up his surname because we didn't write it down. He was from South Africa. 

I don't want to disappoint anyone expecting a different chef, although even if this is a different man you won't be disappointed because he's absolutely great, right on par with the great chef Jes we've enjoyed sailing with a couple of times before. 

Definitely the same one 

23 hours ago, Mauzac said:

Ross the CD was outstanding as were his two assistant CDs.  He was prepared to laugh at himself and just brought out the best in the way of fun from the staff and the passengers. 

Who were your two assistant CDs? We had Dave and Yvonne. Dave felt like a Cruise Director in the making, still learning, very keen, super nice guy. Yvonne we couldn't quite work out, she tried hard but neither of us felt she was really into it. We had an opportunity to have a longer conversation with her at one point in the cruise and she was surprisingly critical of one of the guest speakers which we didn't really expect from a member of the entertainment staff. 

Poor Dave all but lost his voice for 2 days but he showed up (cleared by the doctor) and croaked his way through, I think it'll be fun to sail with him as CD in 5 years when he matures. 

It was Mike Shapiro and Dave or David (Mike called him David!) .  If it was the same Dave as you are talking about, he was a delight.  He hosted a table and we were invited, we go on lots of hosted tables and I can honestly say I've never come across a more attentive host!  He actively made sure everyone was included in the conversation where possible, he showed an interest in everyone, he was very sweet.  I can imagine him 'working through' a croaky voice, he worked hard. 

Having said that, we also went on a table with Mike and with Ross.  Both great too!  

8 hours ago, Hobar said:

Who is the current captain?

Tim Roberts. Very nice chap, appeared to be a most competent captain, I don't think he likes public speaking very much but does it with a self-deprecating style. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 5:02 AM, rols said:

Tim Roberts. Very nice chap, appeared to be a most competent captain, I don't think he likes public speaking very much but does it with a self-deprecating style. 

Thanks.  I was hoping it was Hamish, but am open to meeting someone new. What choice do I have?!  

5 hours ago, Hobar said:

Thanks.  I was hoping it was Hamish, but am open to meeting someone new. What choice do I have?!  

I like Hamish too, but having been on Sojourn recently, I have a lot of time for Tim Roberts.  A quiet man but great at interracting with the passengers and his lunchtime chat every day was very soothing (interesting facts done in a quiet unassuming way!) 

On 5/3/2019 at 12:02 AM, rols said:

We spent 3 weeks with Tim Roberts and we remember his midday announcements starting hello Tim here then he would say oh Captain Tim. He was always very visible having breakfast most mornings at The Colonnade with a few of the other officers, staff meeting maybe?