Beverage Package for a Child

I will be sailing in November on the Mariner of the Seas and I am wondering about beverage packages for a 4 year old. Thinking about doing the Refreshment package for every one that is cruising but paying full price for a small child seems a bit much. What have you guys done for drinks with a little guy in tow? I see RC is offering a sale right now and am wondering if I should pull the trigger on the package or not. Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, Fireguy14 said:

I will be sailing in November on the Mariner of the Seas and I am wondering about beverage packages for a 4 year old. Thinking about doing the Refreshment package for every one that is cruising but paying full price for a small child seems a bit much. What have you guys done for drinks with a little guy in tow? I see RC is offering a sale right now and am wondering if I should pull the trigger on the package or not. Thanks in advance.

There are enough beverages that are free that I would not buy anything for a 4yr old.  Plenty of milk, lemonade, water, etc....

3 minutes ago, Fireguy14 said:

Our grandchildren drank milk, water and lemonade when they were that age and juice at breakfast. I brought sports bottles and filled them with water and juice for excursions and the cabin. Never felt the need for any kind of package. 

We have done the same for our grandchildren as previous posters have mentioned. We brought sport cups/bottles and filled them with water, tea, and lemonade/punch that RCI supplied. They really didn't do Milk. However, the children 8 and up got the soda packages when they were on sale. My husband and I purchased them as a cabin gift for the older ones to help the parents out a little. 😊

We don't buy a package for our two youngest (7 & 12).  They were happy with the free things.  The older one bought two sodas the whole cruise.  We were on Navigator in December before they had the freestyle machines.  The older of the two may have wanted it if they would have had the freestyle machines as there would have been more variety.  Milk, lemonade and water kept them happy.

44 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

And don't forget you can carry on a 12 pack of soda or water, flavored waters, etc.

Yes I forgot we took on a 12 pack of soda for the kids in the cabin.

10 hours ago, Fireguy14 said:

That's a simple one.  I don't know very many 4 year olds that binge drink soda, so the answer is no.  It has nothing to do with price.  By the way, the soda package was always designed for kids, not adults.  Bring a case of capri sun juices for the room, and they can drink water/lemonade/ice tea on the ship when needed.

I agree with the bring drinks, and cups.  I bring an insulated cup (similar to Yeti).  We get extra free drinks at every meal to fill the cup.  This is generally enough to get us between all of the meals.  However, you can grab the pack of lemonade or capri sun and put in your fridge in case you need something between times.  There is no way I would spend the money on a package for a four year old.  We still don't even spend the money for our nine year old.  He gets by the same way with absolutely no issues and barely touches the drinks we bring on board for him.

Oh, I also bring a bottle brush and liquid dish soap in a travel container.  This way I can wash the cups as needed every night or between fillings.

Agree with everyone else - young children don’t need a package. 

Includedwith your cruise fare:  tap water, juice, white and chocolate milk, lemonade, punch/flavored water, iced tea.  You can take Mio drops (or similar) and add to tap water to make your own flavored water.