Oosterdam Alaska Cruise Port Question

So just looking at our upcoming trip and our itinerary - how do I determine if we dock or tender in the Alaska ports?  It does not seem to indicate either in the itinerary as I look at it on line.  I'm interested to know about Ketchikan and if we tender there.  

Thank you!!

Sitka used to be a tender port, but they built a dock... not sure if it is always available, if it depends on ship size and probably depends on how many ships are in port... so I am not up enough on Sitka to advise, sorry.  m--

9 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Sitka used to be a tender port, but they built a dock... not sure if it is always available, if it depends on ship size and probably depends on how many ships are in port... so I am not up enough on Sitka to advise, sorry.  m--

Sitka's dock is way out of town (there was a free shuttle). If you tender, you go right into town. So it's good/bad either way.

13 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

way out of town

Well, I suppose "...way out of town..." is relative. As I recall it was only about a 10 minute drive - which would hardly qualify as "way out" (in Alaska anyway). Maybe 5 miles? Certainly far enough that you're not going to want to walk it - there is nothing scenic about the walk and there are no sidewalks as I recall (more like any rural coastal road). 

Edited by grsnovi
added miles

6 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

Well, I suppose "...way out of town..." is relative. As I recall it was only about a 10 minute drive - which would hardly qualify as "way out" (in Alaska anyway). 

Just trying to help someone plan. My point was that it isn't walkable.

Not likely a walk for the majority of HAL's passengers but not inconceivable as a hike if you're 20 something and looking for exercise. We were definitely closer to town back in the tendering days that's for sure. 

On 4/30/2019 at 7:58 PM, san diego spartan said:

So just looking at our upcoming trip and our itinerary - how do I determine if we dock or tender in the Alaska ports?  It does not seem to indicate either in the itinerary as I look at it on line.  I'm interested to know about Ketchikan and if we tender there.  

Thank you!!

We are the same cruise in June and on the itinerary it is showing Sitka as a tender.  We did the same thing 7 yrs ago and it was a tender. 

We're on the Oosterdam at the end of June (23-30). Currently we're at the OSD (outside Sitka dock) which is north of town in Sitka. It's a bus ride into town. The locals have it down to an art, have built a nice area to shop in at the pier, have a tent serving seafood, and very good service to town. We've done it several times and have very little wait even though we need a bus with a bay for DH's scooter. For the month of June, In Ketchikan, the Oosterdam is slated for dock 1 which is right by the Christmas Store and a great location! In Juneau we're at the CT dock (Cruise Terminal) which is right by the library and a very good location It's one of the two new floating docks so the gangway doesn't move which makes life a bit easier. 

Karen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2019 at 8:46 PM, joekerstef said:

Go here:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1250

click on your port of choice. To check on the berth code, click this: http://claalaska.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Berth-Codes.pdf

Wow thank you.  Very helpful.   What does outside dock in Sitka mean?

On 5/3/2019 at 8:55 PM, luvteaching said:

We're on the Oosterdam at the end of June (23-30). Currently we're at the OSD (outside Sitka dock) which is north of town in Sitka. It's a bus ride into town. ..........................

OSD actually stands for Old Sitka Dock located at Halibut Point, some six-seven miles north of downtown Sitka. The ride in Blue Bird shuttle buses takes about 15 minutes :classic_wink:

Image result for Old Sitka Dock map

• Like 1

What I just realized after booking the Oosterdam in a few weeks, is how short the stays are in Juneau and Ketchikan. I wonder why they schedule for only 5 hours or so in such major ports? Sitka is a full day, which is nice, I just wish the other stays were as long.

Good morning,

Ketchikan is always a short stay for the ships out of Seattle due to the trip back and making it in to Victoria. Juneau is  from 1:00 - 10:00 PM and 9 hours which is an hour longer than Sitka. If you want some longer stays think about the 14-day on the Amsterdam out of Seattle. We're in Ketchikan several hours later and in Juneau from 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM. 

Karen

On 5/3/2019 at 8:55 PM, luvteaching said:

We're on the Oosterdam at the end of June (23-30). Currently we're at the OSD (outside Sitka dock) which is north of town in Sitka. It's a bus ride into town. The locals have it down to an art, have built a nice area to shop in at the pier, have a tent serving seafood, and very good service to town. We've done it several times and have very little wait even though we need a bus with a bay for DH's scooter. For the month of June, In Ketchikan, the Oosterdam is slated for dock 1 which is right by the Christmas Store and a great location! In Juneau we're at the CT dock (Cruise Terminal) which is right by the library and a very good location It's one of the two new floating docks so the gangway doesn't move which makes life a bit easier. 

Karen

Thanks for the good information Karen!  Was the seafood served at the tent good?  I remember the Christmas Store from our past Alaskan cruise 7 years ago and I can't wait to buy another unique Alaskan ornament.