Epic - Worst Cruise Ever

On 5/1/2019 at 2:21 PM, BirdTravels said:

1, 4, 7 sounds like taking a minute to read would have helped you.

#1 The note to read the lighting issue was on the bed in the dark room.. we were not the only people on board not to see it.

#4 . We did not see anything on the Daily, we were also trying to get acquainted with a new ship.

#7 We met at the arranged spot for our NCL booked excursions.

2 we’ve been on the Epic 7 times and never had any complaints about the bed. So this is clearly a preference thing. 

Wasn't much of a preference thing.. We both woke up with either a sore back or neck.

3 without specific reasons or another, can’t comment. 

6 is common on many lines. If you want to avoid the charge, get up and go out to a restaurant (open 24/7). 

the 24/7 restaurant O'Sheeans had the worst service of the entire cruise. No other cruise line we have been on charged for room services..Including coffee and hot tea.

8 we applaud NCL for ensuring that the food allergy you reported was carefully considered to keep you alive and healthy. 

I would have appreciated it more if they didn't take 45 minutes to check my breakfast sandwich and all the managers were aware of the fact that they were supposed to be checking them.. the manager i spoke with that morning had no idea.

23 hours ago, Newleno said:

you dont have a cruise next certificate by any chance?

At the beginning of the cruise we actually looked into it. We are planing to visit Europe next year to celebrate my 50th birthday

but bu the end of the cruise we decided Holland America was a better bet for us.

23 hours ago, FitchburgWIFamily said:

Never sailed NCL but had a bunch of posts in an NCL Pearl roll call.

Not sure what why you felt you needed to "research me".. we had planned a cruise an NCL cruise before but due to a death in the Family did not get to take it.

Sailed EPIC but never joined a roll call...but is actively participated in roll calls for other sailings on other lines.

Didn't give dates so other passengers on same cruise could substantiate.

I didn't join the roll call for this cruise since most of them seemed to be more interested in a cabin crawl / gambling event.

or a visit to Mr Sancho's.. its not a crime to not be on a roll call or not enjoy the cruise.

"Since this was our first time on NCL is this normal of the way they do things or was this just an exceptionally bad experience for us?"  -  It may have been us.. if this had been our first cruise ever it may have been a different experience. guess we all have a different opinion of what makes a good cruise.

8 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

As for the waiting an hour for a sandwich, that is ridiculous. Did you ask someone what was taking so long? I have waited for food on occasions but not an hour. 

Twice the wait staff told me the manager had to check it.. once after we had been sitting for about 20 minutes after our orders were placed then 25 minutes later I was told the same thing. That's when I asked to speak the manager.. She had no idea she was supposed to check it.

5 minutes after speaking with her I got my sandwich which was not warm at all and considering it had a fried egg on top wasn't really that appealing. 

I don't think anyone meant they needed to research the OP - just a bit more details about the cruise to see if anyone else experienced anything similar on the same cruise you were part of. Big difference. 

All that aside, it sounds like your mind is made up. If you've been on other cruise lines which have provided better experiences, than stick with what makes you happy. For me, I'll only book Haven on NCL and I know how privileged that sounds. But trust me: it can make a major difference in your experience (and, hey, room service is free in the Haven). 

Oh, and make sure you understand that Holland now charges for additional entrees in the MDRs. Think you can still order more than one appetizer, but any additional entrees come with a cost. Just want you to be prepared!

Edited by tlc1972

Not sure what OP means by "non-threatening allergy to seafood"...

After eating all kinds of seafood for over 40 years, out of nowhere I suddenly became allergic to crustacean shellfish (shrimp, crab, lobster, craw (cray) fish. 😞

Face and torso blew up in hives.

Allergy testing confirmed crustacean allergy (can still eat mollusks--thankfully!!!--different species than crustaceans)

I think its good that staff take food allergies seriously. Never thought I'd be dealing with this at this age, but food allergies can be life-threatening. I learned that people can become allergic to anything at any point in their lives.

Sadly, late-blooming shellfish allergy sufferers are unlikely to outgrow the allergy (as some children do with peanut allergy etc).  

I now carry liquid Benadryl and Epinephrine auto-injector at all times.

If you (or someone you know are allergic to a food) take it seriously (even if they don't). 

• Like 1

Most of your complaints are a non-issue to me. 

The only issue is with the delay which is not something that can be controlled. 

I do agree with the nickel and diming. That's why I canceled all my bookings and switched to MSC.

You should be aware of the charge before you get on the ship though.

1 hour ago, alreadypacked said:

After eating all kinds of seafood for over 40 years, out of nowhere I suddenly became allergic to crustacean shellfish (shrimp, crab, lobster, craw (cray) fish. 😞

Allergy testing confirmed crustacean allergy (can still eat mollusks--thankfully!!!--different species than crustaceans)

I think its good that staff take food allergies seriously. Never thought I'd be dealing with this at this age, but food allergies can be life-threatening. I learned that people can become allergic to anything at any point in their lives.

Sadly, late-blooming shellfish allergy sufferers are unlikely to outgrow the allergy (as some children do with peanut allergy etc).  

If you (or someone you know are allergic to a food) take it seriously (even if they don't). 

I have the opposite problem, I developed a late in life allergy to mollusks. Luckily it only causes, shall we say "stomach upset", but doctor recommended avoidance. It is amazing how many ingredients can be hidden. Having sailed on NCL for years I appreciate that they check on this for me.

15 hours ago, Crzicriter said:

If you haven't been charged for room service on other lines or certainly many now, you haven't cruised in the past few years. BTW, continental breakfast is still available with no charge. You can usually go to the buffet for a quick bite many hours and as for O'Sheehan's, even if the service is a bit slow and yes, it can be, it is no slower than waiting for room service delivery. 

It does sound like you had a couple truly unfortunate experiences so started looking for even more things you disliked. Not all lines are for everyone. Oh and as for the beds, we have sailed the Epic and found no fault with the beds.  

Hope you enjoy the Holland America ship. The line is wonderful but be prepared to be among the youngest people on the ship. We sailed them twice when we were in our late 60s and decided the overall crowd was just to mature for us. 

Just one more thing: I think you do not really understand what Meet and Greets are all about and how much work is put into them. yes, there are some who want to do the cabin crawl or the slot pull, but it is also a great way to just get to know others on the ship. We have made a few life long friends from one simple M&G. NCL has the best M&Gs of all lines in my opinion.  

OP:  We have about 20 NCL cruises under our belts and, with the exception of the $7.95 charges for room service, none of your issues sync with our experiences.  That applies even to the Epic which is our least favorite NCL ship.  My husband requires a special diet and we have never had delayed service because of that.  Not once.  I’d advise you to stay away from NCL because the experience was obviously not to your liking.

10 hours ago, alreadypacked said:

Non life threatening means I don't have the same reaction as you do.. I don't swell or go into Anaphylactic shock.

It makes me Puke. Yes I have had it verified as an actual allergy by a doctor. I do take it seriously..

But I would hope that everyone would know that a ham and egg sandwich does not contain seafood.

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Just one more thing: I think you do not really understand what Meet and Greets are all about and how much work is put into them. yes, there are some who want to do the cabin crawl or the slot pull, but it is also a great way to just get to know others on the ship. We have made a few life long friends from one simple M&G. NCL has the best M&Gs of all lines in my opinion.  

I actually do understand the Meet and greet process and the work that goes into it.. I have been in and actually set up a few myself..I went on this cruise to celebrate my anniversary and to celebrate my husband's recovery from a broken ankle..

It's really not a crime to not want to meet other people just because they are on the same cruise with us.. I did actually did meet a few new people from this trip that live 15 minutes away from us completely by chance.. they are wonderful people.

While a ham and egg sandwich doesn't typically contain seafood, you might be aware of this statement:

manufactured in a facility that processes shellfish (or eggs, soy, nuts)

That said, it still sounds like they screwed up. It's not just the extra care (and time) they took to make sure your food was prepared correctly, but they completely forgot to inform whomever they needed to in order to complete the process. I agree that's frustrating, especially when you are hungry/hangry. 

But instead of complaining to this group here, have you reached out to NCL directly to air your grievances? I get needing to vent, but it doesn't seem like you're getting a whole lot of support from this group here...

13 minutes ago, tlc1972 said:

While a ham and egg sandwich doesn't typically contain seafood, you might be aware of this statement:

manufactured in a facility that processes shellfish (or eggs, soy, nuts)

That said, it still sounds like they screwed up. It's not just the extra care (and time) they took to make sure your food was prepared correctly, but they completely forgot to inform whomever they needed to in order to complete the process. I agree that's frustrating, especially when you are hungry/hangry. 

But instead of complaining to this group here, have you reached out to NCL directly to air your grievances? I get needing to vent, but it doesn't seem like you're getting a whole lot of support from this group here...

We actually have reached out to NCL both on and off the ship.

I feel like I'm being attacked for having an opinion that differs from some "Loyal NCL Cruisers" in this thread.

Doesn't matter if they have sailed it 1 time or 100 times everyone is different , not everyone sails in the "haven".

Not everyone likes the beds. Just because their bed was wonderful and they slept great not everyone does.

Just because they experience what we did doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It even went so far as so FitchburgWIfamily researching me on different threads and posts..

“Never sailed NCL but had a bunch of posts in an NCL Pearl roll call.

Sailed EPIC but never joined a roll call...but is actively participated in roll calls for other sailings on other lines.

Didn't give dates so other passengers on same cruise could substantiate.”

That was not necessary at all. Previous post and roll calls had nothing to do with this cruise..

I don't have to have other substantiate my opinion.. unless they were with us 24/7 they don't know all that we experienced. 

Just because I didn't list all the good and I didn't list all the bad either.. It just means that this cruise ship or line was not to our liking.

• Like 1

I wasn't attacking you, nor do I doubt that any of this happened to you.

There's a handful of us here trying to see things from both sides and there are many more who just seem to be out to pick an online fight. I apologize if you feel you're not getting the support you are looking for. 

And I'm not an NCL Loyalist by any measure. I actually prefer HAL (even though everyone on that ships tends to be twice my age). But as I said in an earlier response: go with what you enjoy. If NCL didn't cut it for you and their customer service team has remedied things, then no need to look back. 

• Like 1

@Crzicriter I don't think people are attacking you because you have a difference of opinion, regardless if they are NCL Loyalists or not.  I think people are attacking you because of some of the ridiculousness of your complaints.

- The lights...really?  Ok fine, maybe it took 10 mins to learn when you first walked into the room.  And maybe it took another 3-4 times coming into the room to remember what you just learned.  But really, this was that big of an issue to list as a complaint?  You couldn't figure it out after a few tries?  

- You said you have been on multiple other cruises on multiple other lines.  NCL is the only one you have arrived late into ports?  Somehow that is the Epic's fault?  Either you have been incredibly lucky to never be late or skip a port due to weather, sick passenger, or one of 20 other possible reasons, or you're lying to yourself in listing this as a critique when you know it has nothing to do specifically with this ship and/or NCL

- See post above.  Every other cruise line has similar announcements re: tenders.  Every other cruise line has some form of "daily handouts" listing tendering at the port the next day.  Were you oblivious to all that?  

- Shore excursions.  Did you read the instructions on the ticket?  When you walked to the end of the pier, did you not see people holding up signs with the exact name of the shore excursion that was listed on the ticker in your hand?  Or are you again being ridiculous in listing this as a NCL/Epic specific critique?

- Did you read/look up/research ANYTHING prior to your cruise re: food and room service?  How about one of the 800 threads on this site that mentions it?  Or how about on the actual room service menu where it's listed at the top?  And what cruise lines have you been on that they do not charge for room service?  

- The bed, can't help you there.  Subjective.  If you didn't find it comfortable, you didn't find it comfortable.  Can't argue with your personal taste on this.  I would have mentioned it to my room steward and ask for a topper, but that's just me

- The allergy thing.  While it might have been a bit of nuisance and delayed your meals, I believe the old adage "rather be safe than sorry" applies here.  Especially if you took the time to let NCL know about your allergy.  I also believe even though you told them it was non-life threatening, it becomes a legal issue when you notify them about an allergy.  And god forbid, your non-life threatening allergy resulted in shock or worse, they would be 100% liable if they ignored your allergy and didn't do everything they could to ensure you were eating safe foods.  

So while you might feel that NCL Loyalists are unjustly attacking you.  It seems to me (and clearly others), that you are an NCL hater who was just overly picky and regardless if it was the best cruise ever, you got pissed about the lights and from that point on, you were just going to dissect every possible bad thing that occurred, even if it was 100% your fault (i.e. ignoring the many many notices about tendering for example).  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

- The allergy thing.  While it might have been a bit of nuisance and delayed your meals, I believe the old adage "rather be safe than sorry" applies here.  Especially if you took the time to let NCL know about your allergy.  I also believe even though you told them it was non-life threatening, it becomes a legal issue when you notify them about an allergy.  And god forbid, your non-life threatening allergy resulted in shock or worse, they would be 100% liable if they ignored your allergy and didn't do everything they could to ensure you were eating safe foods.  

I was thinking the same thing. My sister is gluten-intolerant and remember thinking NCL was going a bit overboard in treating every meal as if she might sue them for the smallest crumb of bread on a plate. Turns out there's probably a bit of truth there...

1 hour ago, Crzicriter said:

We actually have reached out to NCL both on and off the ship.

I feel like I'm being attacked for having an opinion that differs from some "Loyal NCL Cruisers" in this thread.

Doesn't matter if they have sailed it 1 time or 100 times everyone is different , not everyone sails in the "haven".

Not everyone likes the beds. Just because their bed was wonderful and they slept great not everyone does.

Just because they experience what we did doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It even went so far as so FitchburgWIfamily researching me on different threads and posts..

“Never sailed NCL but had a bunch of posts in an NCL Pearl roll call.

Didn't give dates so other passengers on same cruise could substantiate.”

That was not necessary at all. Previous post and roll calls had nothing to do with this cruise..

I don't have to have other substantiate my opinion.. unless they were with us 24/7 they don't know all that we experienced. 

Just because I didn't list all the good and I didn't list all the bad either.. It just means that this cruise ship or line was not to our liking.

You aren't being attacked.  People are just providing their own contrary opinions to the ones you've shared.  It's what happens when you post on an open public forum (right down to others being able to research your posting history).

As for the title of your thread... I'd venture to say those on the Titanic would disagree with your assessment of what constitutes "Worst Cruise Ever".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

As for the title of your thread... I'd venture to say those on the Titanic would disagree with your assessment of what constitutes "Worst Cruise Ever".

😂

• Like 1

I've been on a lot of cruises as well.   The Epic is far from my favorite as well but I've been on worse ships.   Royal Carribean has some older ships I didn't care for Enchantment of the Seas, Carnival has some old ships I hated Fantasy, Celebration they sucked.    Every cruise line has some dogs.     

I do know what you're saying though.   If it weren't for the Epic Haven, I'd never cruise on the Epic again.    Mainly my issues are the deck space outside is so limited and inside the ship there are so few places you can look out and see the ocean!   I also hate the jogging track.

I don't know if the beds in the Haven are different than the other beds but I loved the Haven beds!   Loved them so much I would throw out my high end Tempurpedic for it!    

As far as drinks and service, the food service (wait staff in the restaurants) and the bar servers are two totally different groups.   The waiters in the dining rooms do only food, they could care less if you are ordering drinks.   There are different servers for food and drinks......just like all the other cruise lines.    I have noticed if you are ordering drinks in a restaurant it takes a lot longer.   The server needs to leave the restaurant with several orders, go to a bar get all those drinks and then make her way back.   It takes a really, really long time to get a drink from ordering in a restaurant.   But I too have been on many cruises and cruise lines, I think maybe 20 cruises in all and this is how they all work!     My advice, get your drink at a bar before entering the restaurant.   They don't mind if you walk in with it.   

I've never heard of waiting for tenders for 4 hours!    Again, I've been on the Epic twice but only in the Haven so no issues with tenders but I don't think anyone every waited 4 hours!    Something sounds very off about that.   

On 5/1/2019 at 2:06 PM, Crzicriter said:

I have been on 11 cruises on several different cruise lines.. I have to say that the NCL Epic is the worst.

We had so many issues

1. Turning on the lights in our room..Actually had to ask other passengers how to turn them on.. Had an inside cabin ,room in total darkness, Directions on how to work them on blue card on bed.

2. Bed so uncomfortable!

3. Late leaving Port Canaveral.. Late getting into every port for 1 reason or another.

4. Found out we had to book a Tender.. found out late sat night for Sunday port..  First tender available was 4 hours after we arrived.. Missed half the day at our stop.

5. Waiters uninterested in non-drinking customers.. waited almost 45 minutes for simple appetizers.

6. Nickel and dime ya for everything.. 7.95 for room service is crazy..

7. Getting to port excursions late because there is no clear direction.. Every excursion met at the end of the pier. 200 people stuck in an area where people are still trying to get off the ship. Then being ushered into a tent meant for maybe 100 people but yet holding 200 now with no air.

8. Having a non threatening allergy to seafood but having to have every meal monitored by a manager.. Had to wait for almost an hour for a ham and egg sandwich in the MDR for breakfast. We were the only table seated in the Section.

And so much more.

Since this was our first time on NCL is this normal of the way they do things or was this just an exceptionally bad experience for us?

I can honestly say that after this cruise we never want to cruise with them again.

Other than that sounds like you had a great time!

Sorry I missed your post earlier- I was up 5:30 everyday this week and at work by 7.

Looking forward to your next review- I went on the Epic in 2011 and had a wonderful time especially at Fat Cats, Howl At the Moon and St Marteen and St Thomas.