Wifi

aloha123

Sorry if this is explained elsewhere. Did some searching and just need some clairty.

What I do know is that I will have unlimited internet on the ship according to my booking. Is this only in my room? Only one device or only one device at a time? 

I guess I would like to know if there are any free wifi areas on the boat. For example, if I am sitting on the sundeck and want to do some research for the next day's port on my ipad can I do this with my unlimited internet package? Are there free wifi areas on the boat so my husband can do research on his device?

Thank you, Lily.

2 minutes ago, aloha123 said:

Sorry if this is explained elsewhere. Did some searching and just need some clairty.

What I do know is that I will have unlimited internet on the ship according to my booking. Is this only in my room? Only one device or only one device at a time? 

I guess I would like to know if there are any free wifi areas on the boat. For example, if I am sitting on the sundeck and want to do some research for the next day's port on my ipad can I do this with my unlimited internet package? Are there free wifi areas on the boat so my husband can do research on his device?

Thank you, Lily.

The ship is WiFi enabled throughout though some areas have stronger signals than others. All WiFi is via the internet package there is no free WiFi. However if you log off your free WiFi your husband can use the free code you will be given to log onto his device. You cannot be logged on together though! 

• Thanks 1

The WiFi package is for one device at a time, so, as uktog says, one of you has to log out before the other logs on, or you log out on one device before logging in on another, using the same code.  You can also use the code on the computers in the Living Room, which have a printer attached (useful if you need to print flight boarding cards for example).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, you'll have a unique login code that is only good for one device at a time so you will have to login and out as necessary to share a single unlimited account. 

You may already know this but the internet on board is extremely slow and spotty.  We're talking early-90's AOL dial-up modem slow.  Almost useless for anything other than simple email or very basic web browsing.  You can forget about uploading pics to Facebook or playing streaming video.  The entire ship shares the same satellite-based internet connection so the computers in the library are just as bad.

Best just to wait until you're in port and can find an Internet Cafe or coffee shop with free WiFi or do your research ahead of time and download it to your ipad before you embark.

Edited by dhall711

Sorry. I don't agree with that. Not from my experience anyway. Yes, it's slow, but many times I've uploaded to Facebook with pictures and short videos no problem and can watch YouTube videos or listen to music on Prime. Sometimes it doesnt work, but more often than not for me it does.  Even worked ok most of the time in Antarctica which surprised me. 

Phil 

I think it's variable if you are using the Internet in your cabin. Depends on where you are located on the ship. Some cabins wouldn't connect at all and I had to go to Mosaic cafe...yet others are fine. I have downloaded Kindle books and Audible pod casts onboard and uploadeded photo's to FB without any major problems...it's just slow. 

I agree. I’ve uploaded photos to CC & Facebook with no problems and also manage to download my full newspaper every day too. It does vary around the ship - I’ve stood half in and half out of my cabin when there’s a WiFi extender/WiFi point in the corridor!  As Lottie says Mosaic is usually good.  It is slow, but does the job - that’s why I prefer the unlimited package - minutes don’t go very far.

37 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Sorry. I don't agree with that. Not from my experience anyway. Yes, it's slow, but many times I've uploaded to Facebook with pictures and short videos no problem and can watch YouTube videos or listen to music on Prime. Sometimes it doesnt work, but more often than not for me it does.  Even worked ok most of the time in Antarctica which surprised me. 

Phil 

Our experience as well, Phil.  Nothing like AOL or compuserve with a modem.

Well then maybe we just had an outlier experience as during our cruise on the Journey back in November the internet was all but useless - and we weren't the only ones complaining.  It was even a running gag with the performers in the nightly lounge acts.

Thankfully we had the unlimited package because it would take 15+ minutes just to refresh my email account and download simple attachments.  I saw (and heard) very frustrated patrons in the library desperately trying to conduct some business on the ship's computers and complaining to anyone nearby at how they couldn't get emails to go through. 

So I guess like most things, YMMV.