Live from the Silhouette Mini Cruise to Amsterdam

kikki21

5 minutes ago, kaznaid said:

Who is the Cruise Director, please?  We join Silhouette on Tuesday😄

Sue Denning - she’s always great.

On the same cruise, my opinions: never been on a cruise with so many stag and hen parties as this one - suppose that’s what you get on these short cruises 😬😬. Oceanview on embarkation day was bursting at the seams, even after the cabins were opened at 1pm. Many, many large groups. Felt really sorry for the Maitre d’ on our first night as pax were insisting they wanted tables at particular times for large groups and she told them that it was impossible (this was Select Dining in the MDR). Much quieter tonight as many pax went into the city it being an overnight stop.

Lunch in the MDR was also very busy today (waited about 15/20 mins in a queue). They had to draft in staff from the LCG to get things moving and the queues down. Weather obviously doesn’t help as most pax want to stay in from the chilly wind.

Kettles in all rooms. Guest pianist/singer (Ms Maiden) was extremely good tonight in the theatre. Elite drinks available in any bar from 5-7pm. The Elite breakfast was very civilised this morning - couldn’t contemplate braving the buffet after yesterday 🙈.

Really appreciated your comments and pics on the LCG.  We are considering booking a dinner there on our upcoming Silhouette cruise so this was very helpful.  Thank you  😊

1 hour ago, bernipops said:

Can you tell me please is the safe big enough to put a laptop in?  Many thanks

Ipad is okay and a smallish laptop would be fine.

Edited by villauk

Hello @villauk nice to “see” you!

I was in the MDR this lunch time & it was packed but we walked straight in without delay at 1pm.... this was because my fiancé wanted the experience of having a proper sit down lunch after he fetched me breakfast from the buffet earlier but actually not that much earlier! 

• Like 1

Yes Sue Denning is the Cruise Director & it’s great to finally meet her as heard so much about her on CC boards. You will have a great time with her as CC. 

I’m on a mission to basically just chill out & eat today. I haven’t been great on the LIVE part of the cruise so apologies for that! 

We will go off to play the slots in a bit - I think it has got to the 3rd day where typically people start to relax & I have & just crashed big time! 

I think these shorter cruises from the UK are very popular with stag & hen parties & people celebrating big birthdays. I always like to research what people like to buy on cruises as I sell merchandise & jewellery & i’m going to bring out my own design of cruise t shirts for men & woman so watch this space! 

The other half has gone gone off for a jacuzzi & to go to the gym. I was going to join in but decided it was better for me to fall asleep instead 😂

We are on this cruise too. it's been fine. Not great weather wise but that can't be helped.  Our cabin on deck 6 is clean, quiet and comfortable. We've found the food hit and miss. First night dinner was a shambles. We had to scramble to get in to the MDR at 8.30 and were stopped by the maitre d who asked us to wait to have our table number chequed on the computer even though we knew where we going. That took another 5 minutes as there was a line.  Our waiter wasn't pleased to see us and was surly throughout the meal. We waited an hour for starters and then a further half hour for mains which on an other occasion I would have sent back. My 3 tiny strips of beef were tough and cold as were the  vegetables .  Dinner on the second night was slightly better and our waiter slightly more cheerful. We ordered extra vegetables so our meals were more filling than the previous night. 

The food in the Ocean View cafe was ok. Limited choice at lunch time we always found something to eat. 

We haven't been troubled by the hen and stag parties although had the weather been better and we'd been round the poor area they may have disturbed a few people.

All in all a nice break but nothing to write home about.

• Thanks 1

Hi

We were on this cruise. 6th cruise with Celebrity but first time sailing a short cruise and sailing out of Southampton.  

Wow..it was a real eye opener. The positives were good dining in the MDR but many of the common spaces just seemed overrun and really looked a state at times. 

Loved being able to drive to the port but this was not a cruise I would repeat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bethiecc77 said:

Hi

We were on this cruise. 6th cruise with Celebrity but first time sailing a short cruise and sailing out of Southampton.  

Wow..it was a real eye opener. The positives were good dining in the MDR but many of the common spaces just seemed overrun and really looked a state at times. 

Nor us. We asked to be seated at another table in MDR (Select) on the second night as listening to what the stag party, on the next table, were planning to do in Amsterdam wasn’t something I was comfortable with in front of the two teenagers at our table, and to be fair neither was I! They obviously didn’t want anyone to know back home either, tensions were heating when some wanted to lock their phones in their safes to prevent social media finding out what they were up to 🙈😬.

28 minutes ago, bethiecc77 said:

Hi

I really didn't enjoy the MDR. Our waiter couldn't wait to be rid of us after 3 days although we were more than patient with his lack of good service. As previously mentioned to food was mediocre at best and the portions small. Our water glasses were very seldom refilled and at the end of the 3 nights he never even came over to say goodbye he stayed over at his station till we left. I've never had such a bad attitude from any waiting staff on any cruises. It seemed as it was only for 3 nights he wasn't at all fussed if we were happy or not,

I’m back & home now!

I will upload some more photos - we were not really bothered by the stag & hen parties on the cruise but the large groups did take MDR time. 

I thought the food was good in the MDR, at least it was hot! But then again food is subjective. 

It was obvious that they wanted everyone off the ship ASAP judging by the constant final calls to get off the ship in the morning - they were really anxious to get everyone off very early indeed! There were still people having breakfast! 

10 minutes ago, kikki21 said:

I’m back & home now!

I will upload some more photos - we were not really bothered by the stag & hen parties on the cruise but the large groups did take MDR time. 

I thought the food was good in the MDR, at least it was hot! But then again food is subjective. 

It was obvious that they wanted everyone off the ship ASAP judging by the constant final calls to get off the ship in the morning - they were really anxious to get everyone off very early indeed! There were still people having breakfast! 

I would also confirm that they were in a hurry to off load us. We decided to take our own cases off and were up early so we could have breakfast before leaving the ship. We were almost packed but had left our cases and other hand luggage on the sofa in the room. It was about 7.15 when we got back to the room to collect the cases only to find our room attendant stripping the beds and having a good old sort out. He was reluctant to leave but we needed to go to the bathroom etc and asked if he would give us 10 minutes. He did so but we felt it was bad form for him to be in there before we were gone or at least to apologise and let us finish our packing with good grace.

2 minutes ago, loveheart said:

I would also confirm that they were in a hurry to off load us. We decided to take our own cases off and were up early so we could have breakfast before leaving the ship. We were almost packed but had left our cases and other hand luggage on the sofa in the room. It was about 7.15 when we got back to the room to collect the cases only to find our room attendant stripping the beds and having a good old sort out. He was reluctant to leave but we needed to go to the bathroom etc and asked if he would give us 10 minutes. He did so but we felt it was bad form for him to be in there before we were gone or at least to apologise and let us finish our packing with good grace.

I’ve never heard them do that before official end of cruise time to vacate your cabin before 8am! And you came back in plenty of time. The MDR was open till 8.30am but they were already asking people to leave the ship & it took time for breakfast as lots of people didn’t want to share! We weren’t bothered & shared the table!

• Like 1

I enjoyed this cruise. I wanted to have the experience of a sunset view balcony & we had concierge class 1676. It was a lovely room & hardly any noise but we did experience plenty of movement on the first night, it was quite choppy. 

Benefits of the room were that it was a quiet location, being right at the back plus you get priority boarding - the queues looked bad but we were on board within 30 minutes & of course you get the concierge class lunch in the MDR. It seems to be the same each cruise as I checked what it was for the next cruise.

As we were staying outside Southampton, our first glimpse of the Silhouette was on the road leading up to the port. 

75C994A9-AC15-481C-A7A6-8EC921D08515.jpeg

39224331-F2DD-41C6-95CE-5B8181D70E53.jpeg

BFD39141-2DA6-4737-9C71-F99937D046A1.jpeg

D079CFC1-3E40-44DE-A5A9-9ACFF3E3EAD2.jpeg

C5098296-D6E4-493A-95FA-5FFAF8B5A712.jpeg

The lunch food was good. It was nice to sit down & not fight it out in the buffet! Rooms were ready at 1pm

so it was perfect timing to dump our bags & explore although of course I have already been on the sister ship, the Reflection. 

They are sister ships but the Artwork certainly seems better on the Reflection.

We has views of the Azura from our balcony. 

847DD584-890E-40B0-8857-C26BF2838B8F.jpeg

FC485C88-32A5-4EF0-AB5A-414B18CACBAE.jpeg

A0CB046D-4445-4D01-AF3A-04EF5E263D40.jpeg

B3F72C1E-1F86-4B37-A243-B39C71C4941E.jpeg

285D9E9A-4D29-48C9-A9EA-F93C6520ED48.jpeg

06A12BE0-E6CA-4C8F-BAE4-0E89D7014732.jpeg

So after lunch, we explored the ship & checked out the Lawn Club Grill where we were eating later & got to view all the speciality restaurants & Cafe Al Bacio cakes which my fiancé loved! 

He is a cake addict! 

358E5284-E568-437F-98DA-CD3F3B8DEABD.jpeg

EF25A779-0854-4BBE-944C-007EC5A6F631.jpeg

25A4EF17-291C-4F43-8AC2-E918FB197300.jpeg

9E1E2C50-066C-4A27-82A8-BFF9F9781997.jpeg

5664DDB9-57BC-4FFF-8052-6B7CA98A820A.jpeg

85C26232-3687-49D9-B1A8-7515EAB518EB.jpeg

14 minutes ago, loveheart said:

We walked off at 7am, so missed all the calls etc. Not good for the steward to be clearing your room when it was obvious you hadn’t vacated it.

5 minutes ago, kikki21 said:

plus you get priority boarding - the queues looked bad but we were on board within 30 minutes 

No wait to get on, we were priority boarding so were the first numbers called.

Thank goodness it wasn’t the Reflection as that’s crowded enough - dread to think what that would have been like on this short cruise with the poor weather 🙈.

I do like the Atrium on these ships with the glass lifts either side. Mmm for some reason even though we said yes please bring us the canapés in the afternoon, we never saw them again! Oh well, no shortage of food on board.

As we left Southampton, we had views of the Britannia & Sapphire Princess. Plus glimpses of the rough & windy weather to come! 

CD48447F-F963-4D90-9F01-9EFD5CE17CF4.jpeg

6752DDD2-5B80-4F19-B82F-317943D58451.jpeg

20855F39-2853-4C9B-A54F-60BB0CD87287.jpeg

330C5E3A-0A46-4B06-A598-A3908828181E.jpeg

7F7AE0EB-CD52-41D5-8BDA-CC6C4255523D.jpeg

4D41BC91-4AF4-481D-9D57-140CA3F7D0F8.jpeg

21125817-7355-4378-B329-EC98FD6944BA.jpeg

All my photos are taken on my iPhone by the way. I have the 7plus.

You can just see the Spinakker Tower in Portsmouth on the first photo.

We went to see the show Life on the first night & it was pretty enjoyable - then we were early to the Lawn Club Grill. The food was amazing but they really need to think of better ways to enclose this space when the wind is blowing as it was! It’s not a location to have food in the English Channel! 

But the food was good, that filet mignon was worth it for the price alone & it was a first night discount price. 

I should have chosen Murano & been warmer though! 

697AB205-80F2-4CCD-B567-3C7DBA49B8EA.jpeg

E34CFF0B-9A66-4C76-AB5C-D60B54D6A233.jpeg

443CF546-2E16-46E9-A67A-BAF33A7E7D6D.jpeg

329264DB-CC1A-47DB-8AE7-29F2CBF0973A.jpeg

BA688002-01F4-4334-BCBD-E1E4CEF52A8D.jpeg

We needed to get warm after the Lawn Club Grill experience & spent some time wandering round the shop eventually ending up in the Sky Lounge where we couldn’t get the bat staff to make me a Bushwhacker but I eventually got a very nice Lava Flow cocktail & my fiancé made his own cocktail! We called it a night & decided to have the latest room service breakfast we could prior to docking in Amsterdam. This was scheduled for 2pm but we did arrive slightly earlier. 

There was the strange sight of seeing the Costa ship right in the middle of nowhere but Amsterdam have introduced a port tax recently & many cruise lines have pulled out of stopping there so they dock just before the locks in a small terminal & coach people in - luckily for us, we were going in! 

Room service was excellent, phone call to say they were coming then literally 30 secs later they were there & then phone call after go check we were satisfied. Now where are those canapés?! 

899ABE5F-A8EB-4861-8239-F28EB5582D5F.jpeg

8CF7C07A-1194-4F58-BE90-84650EF297A6.jpeg

35AE7790-1C5E-46AB-B5CB-6438C8F1FF52.jpeg

4B8C4F88-DECE-4726-BFE2-0B52AC646785.jpeg

3584DF5B-A19B-4129-9345-EF49B6745862.jpeg

E4DDE170-E5C8-464D-896B-4B0CB4A9D3D0.jpeg

Going through the lock was an experience - it never looks like the ship is going to fit but it does. We felt like we had a mini Panama Canal experience plus a river cruise sailing into Amsterdam. We were in our cabin so watched the bridge cam & views out the back before we moved to the sides of the ship for views closer to Amsterdam.

Never seen so many river cruise ships moored altogether! 

B04B1F15-B57C-45D5-A732-9FF4588B5D66.png

676A716F-001D-485B-8031-A494B190E272.jpeg

4520C248-C91B-402C-8D35-43D1C50D614F.jpeg

72A3BF89-32BA-4E64-9418-EFABD160AAF4.jpeg

7F189B10-C727-4031-9D3B-7203CAA5F8C6.jpeg

1E6B69C9-A1ED-4F48-A98B-26FCB78AA23F.jpeg

We sailed past HAL’s Nieuw Statendam in the dock ahead of us & we were here. We didn’t have any plans in Amsterdam other than walking around & maybe a canal boat tour & that’s exactly what we did!

It’s a fair walk to the Cruise Terminal but there is a kiosk there selling trips so we opted for the 1 hr canal trip which was good & gave us a flavour of the city. 

It’s then another fair walk to the central train station along the docks for cruise & river cruise ships & that was the flavour of the day. We sat right at the back outside for the canal tour so I was able to get some great photos. 

1F6F86C1-5EB8-4F4E-A431-00937190F00C.jpeg

26598D78-BDB6-4966-8813-A1D5CC68D835.jpeg

49B240D2-ECBD-4FB7-B165-3661434F8F3F.jpeg

7D4AD8C9-5CDE-4BE7-B33F-7332B1BC837C.jpeg

55567DC7-4839-4E1D-AD8E-5C53098F9A51.jpeg

E8144923-C45B-4BDB-9651-5A678A480C80.jpeg

On 5/6/2019 at 11:34 AM, loveheart said:

We are on this cruise too. it's been fine. Not great weather wise but that can't be helped.  Our cabin on deck 6 is clean, quiet and comfortable. We've found the food hit and miss. First night dinner was a shambles. We had to scramble to get in to the MDR at 8.30 and were stopped by the maitre d who asked us to wait to have our table number chequed on the computer even though we knew where we going. That took another 5 minutes as there was a line.  Our waiter wasn't pleased to see us and was surly throughout the meal. We waited an hour for starters and then a further half hour for mains which on an other occasion I would have sent back. My 3 tiny strips of beef were tough and cold as were the  vegetables .  Dinner on the second night was slightly better and our waiter slightly more cheerful. We ordered extra vegetables so our meals were more filling than the previous night. 

The food in the Ocean View cafe was ok. Limited choice at lunch time we always found something to eat. 

We haven't been troubled by the hen and stag parties although had the weather been better and we'd been round the poor area they may have disturbed a few people.

All in all a nice break but nothing to write home about.

Sounds terrible... waiting so long for starters...,we would be out the door....  hope comment cards were filed reporting continued bad service.

Edited by hcat