Only LOCAL eateries!!!

spraynet

Doing the 7 day Princess cruise from this Sept,  Seattle to Vancouver with stops in Juneau / Skagway-

Haines / Ketchikan / Victoria BC / Vancouver -two days.  Looking to find the "Real local" spots folks eat at. Have zero interest in touristy places. Have a must visit bar, or eatery, please post up so all may learn. Thank you!

The Hangar and Twisted Fish are good in Juneau. Touristy due to the location being close to the ships though. Also GonZo in Auke Bay.  Although it's a dinky place with no alcohol, Burger Queen in Ketchikan. We don't usually eat off ship often but would eat at Burger Queen again.

Twisted fish is just okay. The Fish & Chips place in the Hangar building right next to the little cabin for the Taku Lodge floatplanes is my go-to for cod and chips. But wander away from the waterfront a bit up to the Rookery, or In Boca al Lupo/Panhandle Provisions for a taste of our true culinary talent. Also, the pizza on Wednesdays at Devils Club Brewing is amazing (as is the beer). 

I haven't been yet - but it's on my itinerary for July - I've seen a lot of people post about the Sandbar and Grill in Juneau. It's supposed to be a good local place, a bit of a dive bar with amazing fish and chips!  

• Like 1

In Victoria is a small place called La Belle Patate at 1215 Esquimalt Rd that specializes in poutine. It's definitely not full of tourists as it's about 2-1/2 miles from the main touristy area on Government St. And it's great!  There is a sister location in Vancouver on Davie Street that I had tried a few years ago so the next time we docked in Victoria we headed there as soon as we were off the ship.  There are other places in Victoria that have started selling poutine but they aren't very good or authentic. La Belle is the real deal - the owner is from Montreal and speaks French. There's only one table inside and a counter at the window plus a couple tables on the sidewalk out front - most of the customers are locals who drop by to pick up stuff to take home.  They have awesome burgers and hot dogs too.

IMG_5991.JPG

10 hours ago, DougH said:

In Ketchikan Burger Queen or Alavas for Fish and Chips. Both are just past or under the tunnel to the left as you face town from the ship. 

Burger Queen is excellent! If you want a good old fashioned (maybe a little greasy...like they should be) burger, that's the place. A local suggested it to me a few trips ago.

In Haines, after our excursion (Glacier Point Wilderness Safari, which I would Highly recommend!), we wandered around town and had a relaxing time at the local brewery.  Sunny day and we sat outside and talked with others over a cold one.  

• Like 1

We enjoyed the Haines brewery as well! (no food though) I came home with art - unexpected souvenir; I don't normally shop for souvenirs when I travel ;-) But artists were prepping the space (brewery walls) for a showing and I loved the work - silk prints of marine life on top of old declassified naval charts. So we have a whale on an old USNavy chart of Alaskan waters in our dining room now :-)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

We enjoyed the Haines brewery as well! (no food though) I came home with art - unexpected souvenir; I don't normally shop for souvenirs when I travel 😉 But artists were prepping the space (brewery walls) for a showing and I loved the work - silk prints of marine life on top of old declassified naval charts. So we have a whale on an old USNavy chart of Alaskan waters in our dining room now 🙂

Do you happen to have the name of the artist?  That artwork sounds amazing 🙂

9 hours ago, schlogee said:

Do you happen to have the name of the artist?  That artwork sounds amazing 🙂

I'll look when I get home (traveling for work right now). I do know she wasn't from Haines- they had driven in and were pulling crates from the back of her SUV to set up....But now I can't remember where she was from. Maybe husband will recall....

On 5/5/2019 at 5:54 PM, spraynet said:

Doing the 7 day Princess cruise from this Sept,  Seattle to Vancouver with stops in Juneau / Skagway-

Haines / Ketchikan / Victoria BC / Vancouver -two days.  Looking to find the "Real local" spots folks eat at. Have zero interest in touristy places. Have a must visit bar, or eatery, please post up so all may learn. Thank you!

Skagway-"Sweet Tooth Cafe" on Broadway

Juneau-"The Hanger"  Right behind the seaplane docks

Both places kept alive during non tourist season by locals.

On 5/6/2019 at 3:17 PM, Hoyaheel said:

I came home with art - unexpected souvenir; I don't normally shop for souvenirs when I travel 😉 But artists were prepping the space (brewery walls) for a showing and I loved the work - silk prints of marine life on top of old declassified naval charts. So we have a whale on an old USNavy chart of Alaskan waters in our dining room now 🙂

That sounds fascinating.  Would love to see a pic of it when you have the time to snap one.

We spent 12 glorious days in Haines back in 2017, so we checked out lots of local cuisine and I can recommend several delicious options:

Pilot House - Amazing fresh baked sourdough bread from an old time starter.  Get there early as possible - the loaves sell out very fast, and the second baking isn't til 5pm.

Alaska Rods - Best darned homemade fudge EVER.  Usually 7 to 10 flavors daily.  Inside a little shop downtown with beautiful handcrafted items for sale.

Fireweed Restaurant - Pizza, glorious pizza!  Oh my gosh - the Salami Mozz pizza was THE best pizza we've ever eaten.   So good, we've tried to recreate it at home - close, but no cigar.  You gotta try it!  Thin, crispy crust, thinly sliced and fried genoa salami, big slices of fresh mozzarella cheese, caramelized red onions, and a slightly sweet, slightly spicy marinara sauce.  Perfection!  Pair it with one of their fine artisan salads and you've got a winner of a meal!  Their fish tacos don't suck either! :)

Mountain Market - Delightful little 'country store' type atmosphere with fantastic Alaska brewed coffee, huge, freshly made sandwiches and yummy seafood chowder, and fabulous cinnamon rolls along with other daily made baked goods.

Mile 33 Roadhouse - you'll need a vehicle for this one.  Out the Haines Highway at Mile 33 (duh!).  The homemade pies are to die for - we had the three berry forest pie - heaven!  Also had the best patty melt I've ever eat at Mile 33 Roadhouse, with a side of authentic poutine.  Worth the drive if you have a rental car!

In Juneau - Hot Bites at Auke Bay has fantastic milkshakes in every imaginable flavor, and their grilled halibut sandwich was delicious and filling.

Enjoy eating your way thru Alaska - I think you'll be pleased! 

Sorry I've been absent from my own thread for a while, my bride has some health issues that we're dealing with at the moment.

Thank you all so very much for the wonderful and genuine recommendations, simply awesome!!!  I've noted each one on my computer rolodex..😂 "shows my age", and will be picking the ones we like best to visit. Also, never ever worry about adding stuff unrelated to my question into any thread of mine, I actually welcome that type of input. The more folks can learn from a thread the better I feel it is. 

Thanks again everyone!

• Like 1