Crowded Ports- Too many Ships in Ports!

blackfoot

8 minutes ago, clo said:

🙂  I'll tell our daughter and son-in-law.

Totally off topic.  I do not think there any ports at the top of the mountain and I don't care.  I Never was there and will never be.  Let's get back to the OP or stop posting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Did you mean to include Hawaiidan and others here?

4 minutes ago, clo said:

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Love Hawaiidan  for most of what he posts but here he is off topic and I do not want to see a bunch of mountains that a cruise ship could not go to. 

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Love Hawaiidan  for most of what he posts but here he is off topic and I do not want to see a bunch of mountains that a cruise ship could not go to. 

Mea culpa.  And this thread really did go OT.  I'm trying 🙂

2 minutes ago, clo said:

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Thanks

We totally agree on the crowd issue. We just got home from a Med. Cruise w. Oceania, and Santorini was a nightmare.

5 large ships anchored and no one was able to see, or enjoy Oia, it felt like a massive sports stadium had let out and everyone was headed to the parking lot. Been there in the past and did not remember this type of crowds and behavior. Waited 2 hrs.

for the cable car down to the tender area, arguments and even fights broke out, and there was absolutely no control of crowd (think of handicapped people, for which there were no preferred lines or accommodations). The Greek government nor Port Authority was totally absent, except to collect the fare for the downward ride (1 Person). It was truly awful and could very well be corrected. All other ports that Oceania went to were fine and the line has some new authentic ports in Greece, Sicily, and Spain. We loved this B to B - Venice to Rome and Rome to Monte Carlo. One needs to do their research.

1 hour ago, excited cruise traveler said:

We totally agree on the crowd issue. We just got home from a Med. Cruise w. Oceania, and Santorini was a nightmare.

5 large ships anchored and no one was able to see, or enjoy Oia, it felt like a massive sports stadium had let out and everyone was headed to the parking lot. Been there in the past and did not remember this type of crowds and behavior. Waited 2 hrs.

for the cable car down to the tender area, arguments and even fights broke out, and there was absolutely no control of crowd (think of handicapped people, for which there were no preferred lines or accommodations). The Greek government nor Port Authority was totally absent, except to collect the fare for the downward ride (1 Person). It was truly awful and could very well be corrected. All other ports that Oceania went to were fine and the line has some new authentic ports in Greece, Sicily, and Spain. We loved this B to B - Venice to Rome and Rome to Monte Carlo. One needs to do their research.

Oh, she-god, Santorini was a mess and I think there was only one ship in port.  We were DIYing it and would never go back.  It's as beautiful as all the pictures show but you sure don't feel like you're in Greece.  Oh, and we took ferries to multiple islands and the waiting in line passengers were among the rudest I've ever seen.  Would push you out of the way.  And, as you mentioned, this could be corrected.  Ugh.

Last time in Santorini we hiked the caldera from Thiera to Oia.  It was spectacularly beautiful, barely anyone on the trail, every half hour or so we would see someone, aside from locals living in the little communities up there.  It’s about 3.5-4 hours, 9 miles I believe but not certain.  Challenging but worth it.  A few small places to stop along the way but few and far between so bring lots of water.  Also, proper foot wear with socks as you are on volcanic sand most of the time.  You will see authentic Santorini at its best.  Once you start, there is really no way to stop as you are not near the road, it’s turn around or end in Oia, which was packed.  Fantastic way to spend a day.

13 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

Last time in Santorini we hiked the caldera from Thiera to Oia.  It was spectacularly beautiful, barely anyone on the trail, every half hour or so we would see someone, aside from locals living in the little communities up there.  It’s about 3.5-4 hours, 9 miles I believe but not certain

9 miles each way or round trip?

In either case, my guess is that less than 1% of passengers on O would be willing or able to do this on a single day port stop.

Happy for you - sounds like you enjoyed it.

38 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

In either case, my guess is that less than 1% of passengers on O would be willing or able to do this on a single day port stop.

38 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Paul - it’s about 9 miles one way.

We completed this hike last year when we’re in Santorini. That day there were plenty of people doing the hike. Not crowded but we definitely weren’t alone on the trail. The crowds were in Santorini when we got there - felt like a Disneyland. We took a taxi to get back to Thiera,  the line at the bus stop was... long.

5 minutes ago, osandomir said:

Paul - it’s about 9 miles one way.

We completed this hike last year when we’re in Santorini. That day there were plenty of people doing the hike. Not crowded but we definitely weren’t alone on the trail. The crowds were in Santorini when we got there - felt like a Disneyland. We took a taxi to get back to Thiera,  the line at the bus stop was... long.

20 years ago I could have done it  - not so much today 😀

It's a good advice and alternative for those that are able to do it

Just now, Paulchili said:

20 years ago I could have done it  - not so much today 😀

It's a good advice and alternative for those that are able to do it

The great thing - you can enjoy traveling the world 😋

On 6/29/2019 at 8:04 PM, Paulchili said:

Yup, It would be a little tough for us today unless it is all downhill.  I am sure not the case.  Maybe one way and taxi the other one. 

Have done the Caldera hike a few times. You can do it in as fast as two hours not stopping, or at a leisurely 4 hours. It's 6.5 miles one way. Truly spectacular but each time it was April or May, quite warm and we were grateful for bringing extra water. Did it last time 5 years ago and really felt the heat, so took the bus back as there were not the crowds clogging Oia.

But did not do it last visit when both an NCL and MSC ship were in town. Yikes. People were nearly murdering each other standing in line for the tram. We walked downhill and watched someone suffer a compound fracture slipping in donkey slime while wearing strappy sandals. It's good to have "discovered" Santorini many years ago before so many souls began descending on it. Wouldn't want to go back unless it was a ship the size of Windstar and the only one in port.

From Fira the Caldera hike is steep the first mile and then feels relatively flat even though you are ascending and descending a fair amount. If you're going to Santorini bring your walking shoes as you may feel the urge.

Edited by Petoonya

11 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

before so many souls began descending on it.

Some business owner there told us that Chinese people will come there to have their wedding photos taken.  Not to get marred - just for the photos!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, clo said:

Some business owner there told us that Chinese people will come there to have their wedding photos taken.  Not to get marred - just for the photos!

Have read many Chinese couples go to exotic locations around the world to have wedding photos shot- even the Antarctic. Have an acquaintance whose kids did their wedding photos underwater in swim attire even though they had a major formal church wedding. Guess it's just a thing.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1