Sanctuary - Island Princess

Question -- if I book the Sanctuary on Island Princess for the entire day, can I go to my cabin, restaurant etc. and still keep my things (book, hat, etc.) on the lounger??  I am going through the Panama Canal and would like to book it for the day we are going through the locks plus one or two other days.  I do not think I would want to remain in the Sanctuary for the whole day.  I would not want to be considered a 'chair hogger'; however, do not know if I get there early in the morning - that the lounger I select would be mine for the entire day.

Thanks for any input you can give me. 

The recommdation is to head straight to the Sancuary after boarding and reserve a lounger for the dates and times you desire.   The lounger is yours for the time you reserve it - half or full day.   You will be given/pick a specific lounger; like number 20,  when booking.  You may come and go as you please.  

Some report checking  back durning the cruise if you do not initially secure a spot or the time/date you want. 

You do know they charge a significant premium for The Sanctuary on the canal transit day? Close to triple the cost of all other days.

That said when you reserve a chair for the entire day it is yours and yours alone for that day. No one else except those also with reserved chairs are even allowed into The Sanctuary. So how could you be a chair hog in this instance?

(...and just to reiterate the first response: you can reserve individual days as soon as you embark. Which would be essential for canal transit day even with its premium rate)

Edited by fishywood

If you book the Sanctuary, the lounge chair is yours.  You can come and go as you please and leave items on the chair.  Just a note - if it rains the attendants will remove items from lounge chair and cover the chair up.  They will safeguard your items for you.  I absolutely love the Sanctuary.

Thank you for your replies.  I did not know that the Sanctuary on Canal day was more expensive.  I knew  that on regular days it was $40/day.  Do you have any idea of the cost for the canal transit.  Fishywood mentioned approximately triple -- would it be $120???  Might have to think it over if it is that expensive.  I have a mini-suite so besides going on deck, can also view part of the transit from balcony (although from what I have read -- you really need to move around the ship and observe from several areas).

I will go as soon as I board and hope to reserve Sanctuary.  Nice to know that the chair is mine for the entire day (if I book the entire day).

Book on the first day as soon as you get on the ship.  You will select loungers/days.  Price for normal days is $20 half day, $40 full day, $30/day for entire cruise for each lounger.  If you have two people you need two loungers.  Glacier Bay and Panama transit are booked separately and for extra cost.  Would not recommend booking transit for three reasons - HOT, you want to be moving around during the transit, and costs a lot given the fact you won't be there that much.  They do usually have some perks like champagne, but we don't do Sanctuary on either Panama or Alaska cruises.  Besides, little shade on either Coral or Island.

Thank you for the post milolli showing u tube video of the sanctuary on Coral.  I would certainly look into getting a cabana as it has some shade/shelter for the sun and/or rain.  Will go the sanctuary immediately upon boarding to see if I can book a cabana.  If not -- sitting in the sun with little or no shade does not appeal to me.  As I have never booked the sanctuary, it was nice to hear that my chosen lounger is mine for the day. 

As a note, I am just returning to Princess having sailed on the Emerald Princess in 2009.  (was originally on Emerald Princess - April 2019 sailing through the new canal - but due to redeployment and original cruise changed from 22 days to 16 days -- decided to go on the Island through the old canal.)  Have sailed with Celebrity before 2009 and all cruises after 2009 with them.  Will be interesting to see the differences knowing that things have changed on both lines and food is very subjective.  It is also why I booked a mini-suite so that I have a sofa to sit on since they removed the barrel chairs from regular balcony rooms.

I am looking forward to having a great cruise as any day on a cruise is better than being home.

53 minutes ago, Safety Squirrel said:

Thank you for the post milolli showing u tube video of the sanctuary on Coral.  I would certainly look into getting a cabana as it has some shade/shelter for the sun and/or rain.  Will go the sanctuary immediately upon boarding to see if I can book a cabana.  If not -- sitting in the sun with little or no shade does not appeal to me.  As I have never booked the sanctuary, it was nice to hear that my chosen lounger is mine for the day. 

As a note, I am just returning to Princess having sailed on the Emerald Princess in 2009.  (was originally on Emerald Princess - April 2019 sailing through the new canal - but due to redeployment and original cruise changed from 22 days to 16 days -- decided to go on the Island through the old canal.)  Have sailed with Celebrity before 2009 and all cruises after 2009 with them.  Will be interesting to see the differences knowing that things have changed on both lines and food is very subjective.  It is also why I booked a mini-suite so that I have a sofa to sit on since they removed the barrel chairs from regular balcony rooms.

I am looking forward to having a great cruise as any day on a cruise is better than being home.

Cabanas actually are very expensive.  Not sure anymore (although someone will post a current price), but I think over $200 for a day.  And yes, the Island Sanctuary has very little shade and the gauze like overhead flaps do not do much to help.  I severely reduced plans for Sanctuary on Island in winter 2018 trip around S.A.  I can report the place was hardly used.  The only day it was busy was the Canal day and I don't recall if it sold out.  (We didn't use it then).  Yes, it costs more that day, but they were providing some extra goodies in terms of food and drink in the morning at least, so there was some additional value for the extra investment. 

If you were to sail again on Emerald or any of her sisters, you would much more prefer those Sanctuaries as there is plenty of shaded area, plus the sunny area.  Similar to Island, I do not like the Royal/Regal Sanctuaries as much as again it is hard to get good shade in most areas - depends on ship direction relative to sun position.  I am wondering if new Sky/Enchanted will be any different (Majestic does not have a Sanctuary).

2 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Cabanas actually are very expensive.  Not sure anymore (although someone will post a current price), but I think over $200 for a day. 

I could swear somebody recently posted that the two quasi-cabanas within the Island Princess Sanctuary do not cost any more that the regular chairs. Just first come, first served for whomever wants one of those two high, set-back locations completely in the shade. They are not in the same league (in price or furnishings) as the Cabanas at the Retreat Pool on the Royal-class ships.

7 minutes ago, fishywood said:

I could swear somebody recently posted that the two quasi-cabanas within the Island Princess Sanctuary do not cost any more that the regular chairs. Just first come, first served for whomever wants one of those two high, set-back locations completely in the shade. They are not in the same league (in price or furnishings) as the Cabanas at the Retreat Pool on the Royal-class ships.

IDK.  They looked pretty similar to me in winter 2018 going around S.A.  Had sofa..chairs..TV.  And I am pretty sure the price was well in excess of $40 as there was a placard.  Now whether a Sanctuary supervisor ever let someone use the space or part of it for $40 I couldn't say.  If something can happen once it finds its way onto these boards.