First time on Celebrity . . .

dsotm73

Sail on the Millennium in two weeks, most of our experience has been with Carnival. My quick and probably dumb question is can you order multiple entrees, appetizers, and/or desserts as desired in the MDR? Booked in a regular balcony (veranda?) if that makes a difference.

Any other constructive comments on the differences between Carnival and Celebrity will also be appreciated. 

Makes no difference and Yes you can...

Does Carnival restrict, as to the number of portions one can order in their dining venues?

bon appetite and bon voyage

5 minutes ago, dsotm73 said:

Sail on the Millennium in two weeks, most of our experience has been with Carnival. My quick and probably dumb question is can you order multiple entrees, appetizers, and/or desserts as desired in the MDR? Booked in a regular balcony (veranda?) if that makes a difference.

Any other constructive comments on the differences between Carnival and Celebrity will also be appreciated. 

Eat as much as you want in the MDR. Stateroom category has nothing to do with how many appetizers, soups, salads, entrees or desserts you can eat. Bon Appetite. Also if you purchase the BP there is no daily drink limit. Cheers. 

Edited by davekathy

14 minutes ago, dsotm73 said:

After you go on your cruise would you please come back & post your thoughts about X food. I want to know how it compares to Carnival's. 

I just cruised on X in April  for the 1st time. I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

21 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

After you go on your cruise would you please come back & post your thoughts about X food. I want to know how it compares to Carnival's.

I can tell you our experience. 2001 was our last with Celebrity for a while, then several Carnival and land trips. We just returned to Celebrity this past January and in our opinion, the food was very close between the two in the MDR. 

13 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Makes no difference and Yes you can...

Does Carnival restrict, as to the number of portions one can order in their dining venues?

bon appetite and bon voyage

Thanks for the quick reply. No, in my experience Carnival does not limit ordering in the MDR. As a rule I order two entrees because the portions are so small, and I am not a big or overweight person. We have even had waitstaff bring us extra selections that we didn’t order that they thought we would like to try.

Edited by dsotm73

8 minutes ago, dsotm73 said:

Another question: does Celebrity allow you to bring aboard a 12-pack of canned soda?  I will get the drink package but my wife likes her Dr. Pepper.

Yes...allowed

9 minutes ago, dsotm73 said:

Another question: does Celebrity allow you to bring aboard a 12-pack of canned soda?  I will get the drink package but my wife likes her Dr. Pepper.

Yes.

bon voyage

46 cruises on Carnival and more already booked, not that many on Celebrity. You did not mention your age. 

the reason I am saying that. Carnival has all the water fun. Celebrity has none. Carnival caters basically to the younger crowd. We are in our 70s but still enjoy the fun on Carnival especially Halloween. Do that every year on Carnival. Celebrity ships are more elegant, more laid back. I think the food on Celebrity is better than carnival. They certainly more choices on the buffet. I have had great food on Carnival and not so great food, same with Celebrity. Different ships with different chefs make the difference for sure. Eat all you want where ever you eat except the specialty restaurants. I don't think you can get a second steak. Not positive on that though. Warning. The Celebrity EDGE is not your normal cruise ship. Totally different from any ship period.

I went on my first cruise ever on the Celebrity Reflection in Feb of 2018 and my extended family and I are going on the Infinity in October of this year.

As a first cruise experience, it converted me! I was blown away by how relaxing it was. I had always assumed a cruise had to be a frenetic, party atmosphere filled with kids running around (I'm 50, married, no kids) based on all the ads I'd seen for Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Not that I don't like a good party, and I do like kids - not just running around like maniacs. 😉

The cruise was a gift with my stepmom (an experienced cruiser) and even she said Celebrity was the best one she's been on so far. This was also her first Celebrity cruise (previous: Carnival, Holland America and Princess) and she was sold. She prefers Celebrity now.

We are not super deluxe accommodation people, we don't have enough points for any kind of special club, we have a very limited budget (my husband and I, that is, LOL) and despite not being anyone "special" in the cruise line's eyes, I felt so catered to, so made much of. It was really a special and amazing experience for me. I hope I am never so jaded as to be unable to appreciate how rich of an experience you can have on this cruise line.

• Like 2

We have only been on RCI and Celebrity. And not many times in total....but....love the cruise experiences on both. Hey, I don't have to cook, clean and can relax! If the food isn't great (most is really good, in our opinions) , don't eat it and get something else  🙂  Never hungry 😉 Cruising is my fav. vacation now that we finally discovered it and we are starting to have the time to do more of it! 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:18 PM, cruisingnewtoit said:

I just cruised on X in April  for the 1st time. I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

About par with Carnival. Maybe a bit better. Some say excellent. I must agree but that would be ship specific.